Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Elon has had a few too many steak and lobster dinners. :)

But after seeing that VF video, the "other thing" IMHO has to be the Model 3.

And the "magnitude" of the "D" might be an announcement that AWD will be Standard on all Model Ss and Model Xs going forward (like Subaru did for some time), and NO price increase for the Model S line with AWD. That way, they can streamline the production line for S and X to produce just one AWD skateboard across both products.

That's my guess.

Perhaps the other letter is E. When being asked about "the other thing," Elon recounts how they were going to make the Gen III the Model E, but due to Ford, they had to change to Model 3. He then says "so when I say that we're about to unveil the D and something else than I kind of dug my own grave on that front."

So I'm thinking "E," perhaps "Y."

May be very unlikely, but I would be really happy to see a metal air range Extender... I think it would really leave nothing to naysay about Teslas vs. ICE vehicles.

And the "magnitude" of the "D" might be an announcement that AWD will be Standard on all Model Ss and Model Xs going forward (like Subaru did for some time), and NO price increase for the Model S line with AWD. That way, they can streamline the production line for S and X to produce just one AWD skateboard across both products.

That's my guess.

Two motors for the same MS price point currently offered today? I don't think so.

But it's definitely AWD, no doubt. I'll come back here and eat my words if it isn't.

Looks like Elon has had a few too many steak and lobster dinners. :)

But after seeing that VF video, the "other thing" IMHO has to be the Model 3.

That's my guess.

I think the "magnitude" part is that outside of TMC, it's mostly just seen as AWD like tons of cars already have. I don't recall seeing any of the media coverage speculating the 0-60 could drop, let alone to possibly low 3s. While some people may not have any desire to see 0-60 drop so low, it just says a lot about EVs edge over ICE. A 3.2 0-60 on an S P85D to me suggests the Model 3 Dual Motor will be 0-60 in under 5 for the base model (say 50 kWh), and with bigger batteries (~70 kWh) under 4. Not just BMW 3 series like performance, significantly better performance.

My conjecture is that the "Duel" Platform used for the new Model X and the new Model S Duel, needs to be defined by Tesla. It is already being confused with conventional AWD. (AWD for Tesla would probably mean 4 electric motors which is yet to even be rumored about. :) I would also guess that there is no other car out there with Duel Drive making this another uniquely original Tesla idea. Can the amount of power that each motor contributes be varied from 60/40, or 40/60, or 50/50? I think we will see a 600+ horsepower Tesla Model S 85PD+ super car for those that need it on the German roadways and for the Supercar Enthusiasts that want more out of the Model S. It will be good to try something like that out at an Airport Tarmac. Also, to show that the same platform used in this Supercar, is the Duel Drive used in the Brand New Model X. While maybe not 600 horsepower but sure enough power to get 5-7 adults up and moving, all with a Tesla Grin from ear to ear. We really need for those X reservation holders to get to see something tangible, and some options to start thinking about. I noticed the Teslamotors.com was down earlier today so maybe we will see some new Model X and Model SD pages on the website, too. The easiest way to be wrong is to try and predict the Future, so these just my musings and not based on any inside info just what everyone else has said and my own gut feelings. I am excited to learn exactly what happens tomorrow and then watch the fun as these new options start rolling off the line someday! I am also blessed that Vger will be visiting us the next day in Montana to tell us all about it! Have a Great Time everyone, I am with ya in Spirit and can't wait to know what happens. :)

I think the magnitude obviously refers to the fact that they will have a more advanced driver-assist system that people expect. Damn, I'm surprised he said they aren't talking about the X on that vanity fair article. So why did they invite all the X reservation holders?

I think the magnitude obviously refers to the fact that they will have a more advanced driver-assist system that people expect. Damn, I'm surprised he said they aren't talking about the X on that vanity fair article. So why did they invite all the X reservation holders?

Actually, I think the Model X sigs represent a little bit of selection bias, and that Model X reservation holders in general (including sigs) were not specifically targeted. Rather, individuals who, for some reason, identified themselves to Tesla as being VIPs. You are much more likely to find that in the Sig arena. My poll, while a very small microcosm and subject to its own biases, does not suggest that an overwhelming number of Sig Xs were specifically invited. I think that many of us (myself included) just wanted to see the X so bad, that we convinced ourselves and made the data "fit."

I don't understand why a lot of you guys are so focused on supercar performance? Sure the MS is has great acceleration off the line, but that's mostly due to how electric motors work. Elon's life long goal is to bring EVs to the masses and transform the auto industry. You don't do that by making supercars with 600 HP. You do that by building affordable cars with good performance that everyone wants to buy and can actually afford.

BTW, it's DUAL drive (as in "two"), not DUEL (as in "combat").

My conjecture is that the "Duel" Platform used for the new Model X and the new Model S Duel, needs to be defined by Tesla. It is already being confused with conventional AWD. (AWD for Tesla would probably mean 4 electric motors which is yet to even be rumored about. :) I would also guess that there is no other car out there with Duel Drive making this another uniquely original Tesla idea. [trimmed]

This would not be the first car to offer this, but it might be the first one available in the US. Volvo and Peugeot have cars that do this.
There are just a few of these separate drivetrain cars running around, but as far as I know, they are only in Europe. Next year, Volvo will finally import their vc60. One drive train electric, the other gas (diesel in Europe). This allows for electric only, or both running to get AWD when needed. Volvo Hybrid – XC60 Plug in Hybrid | Volvo Cars

You mean that video where he says "We are not going to talk about the 3 or the X." ?

I missed that part at the start of the video, but all I can say is "we'll see". :)

- - - Updated - - -

Two motors for the same MS price point currently offered today? I don't think so.

What they might lose on margin, they'd make up in volume. :)

But seriously, how killer would be AWD as a standard for the MS going forward compared to so many other luxury/sport cars in this segment? How many BMWs and Mercedes have AWD at the same price points and the performance of the MS? None.

I don't understand why a lot of you guys are so focused on supercar performance? Sure the MS is has great acceleration off the line, but that's mostly due to how electric motors work. Elon's life long goal is to bring EVs to the masses and transform the auto industry. You don't do that by making supercars with 600 HP. You do that by building affordable cars with good performance that everyone wants to buy and can actually afford.

BTW, it's DUAL drive (as in "two"), not DUEL (as in "combat").

Hank, yes, not everyone wants to see them go from a 0-60 in 4.2 to 3 seconds on a Model S for their personal use like a supercar... but, if this means in 2017, for ~$45K you can get a Model 3 with dual motors and a ~70 kWh pack, and this allows for something like high 3s to mid 4s 0-60 and superior handling, well, that's it for BMW calling themselves the ultimate driving machine. I don't know that this is what Elon is referring to as under appreciated, but if the world starts sussing out that Tesla is likely to deliver something like this, I think the desire for the Model 3 goes up significantly (and, of course, plenty of people will be more excited about what the S and X will offer imminently).

Some random thoughts:

1. There's a theory that you have to be an X reservation holder or Sig owner to have gotten an invite. I am neither, just a plain standard 85 owner, and I got an invite.

2. If tomorrow's just a supercar, then meh. I deliberately didn't get the P85 (let alone the +) because I didn't want that much power. My mileage varies, clearly. :)

3. Not that interested in auto-pilot kinds of driver assistance. I prefer sensors and alarms, but not computer control. If the car's sensors see something, say something. Fine. But I don't want the car to drive me.

4. I have this sinking feeling that tomorrow's announcements will include some new thing that *some* existing S owners will be able to do, but not all. Maybe the line is drawn at whoever has parking sensors and who doesn't. (They weren't available when I ordered.) We'll see.

5. What would make me ecstatic is the announcement of a new battery that anyone can order, that boosts mileage to 350+ miles of rated range. But I figure 0.000001% chance of it.

My expectations -- in light of Elon's words at the Vanity Fair event today -- have dropped even lower, I will say...

Also not all that interesting in supercar performance, unless its a byproduct of some other benefit. Besides, I don't want to have to wade through the deluge of new threads about tire wear. :)

If there truly is not Model X reveal (and Elon was not being coy), I am a bit disappointed, but still happy to go and see what is in store.