Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S - I'd give it a D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my new Model S since September 2023. I'd give it a D-. My 2018 was an A+.
In many ways, I wish I hadn't traded in my 2018 Model S. Yes, the additional mileage is nice but ...

Tesla Vision stinks.
It was a mistake to remove the radar. Tesla Vision is nowhere near as accurate. In addition, some of the features I came to expect, such as Summons, aren't available.
Every once in a while, I find myself in a tight parking spot, and unlike the 2018, I am stuck.

I hate the stalkless controls. Driving down the road at night, if I want to flash my high beams, I've missed the opportunity because I had to hunt for the button.

The touchscreen icons are too small. If I am trying to hang up a phone call, I've got to take my eyes off the road and search for the red telephone icon, and many times the first stab doesn't do it.

On the outside, in a dark garage, I can't see the door handles. The chrome ones in the 2018 reflected the light and were easy to see.
The Charge Port. The 2018 had the port circled in blue light. The 2023 has a single icon. You can't see the port at night in a dark garage.

I wish Elon would start taking his meds, and focus on building the best cars in America again.

I went from a 2012 P85 and the 2023 is better than that grade I think. But overall I agree with most of what you said. It's 2 steps forward and one step back. The UI I agree has gotten worse. The targets are simply too small (like the gear selector is barely 1/2" wide and all the way to the left (hidden by steering wheel in part).

The car itself I think is a big improvement. But the stupid design decisions (steering wheel, lack of stalks, weird UI decisions, removal of sensors...etc) are keeping this from being a truly great car.

Sometimes one forgets all the improvements (over 2016-2018 Model S):
1) Quieter
2) More range
3) Electrically locking rear seats, with release buttons in the trunk
4) Better trunk lighting
5) More responsive UI
6) More games (ok, I never use them)
7) Rear seat screen
8) 3 Zone HVAC
9) Yoke (Ok, I love it, but realize some hate it)
10) Automatic turn signal release on lane change
11) Cooled seats (was on a few earlier models for a limited time)
12) Cabin camera (still working on reduced steering nags)
13) A lot more performance (in both LR and Plaid)
14) More comfortable ride
15) Improved headlights and taillights
16) Black handles don't burn your hand if in the sun like chrome ones
17) Chrome Blackout looks better (to me)
18) Electronic vent controls (yes, to some a negative)
19) Door pockets
20) Much better cup holder placements
21) Center rear seat fold down with cupholders
22) Four phone chargers
23) Landscape mode primary display with tilt
24) The lower center seat headrest obstructs less rearview
25) Better looking dash - top and front
26) Better audio system
27) Faster charging

Now for my negative list
1) Front floor lighting is worse (although never great)
2) No center horn (although rumored to be fixed in the very latest 2024 models)
3) Auto rain detect still not great (ok, no change from 2018)
4) Backup noisemaker (legally required now)
5) Changed bottom door puddle lights so third-party projector lights don't fit

Overall a win for me, but there are always some subjective items that one likes and another doesn't.

Reactions: zivac87 and de Vere