Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 wheels bent now.. anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had the tesla for 16 months and in that span, we've had 6 bent wheels (right rear, right rear, then all 4 at once). We own 4 other cars and none of them have had bent wheels in the 7 years we've lived here. Anyone else experiencing bent wheels at all? we have the turbine silver 21" wheels.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. Owners with 19" wheels need not comment on this thread. It's all about the 21" wheels. The roads in the northeast were particularly bad this spring due to the severe winter we had. I run 19" wheels in the winter, and I switch to 21" in April—as soon as the temps are out of the 30's. I love how the 21" wheels look on the Model S, and there is also a marked improvement in handing with the 21" wheels. All that said, I don't think Tesla adequately tested the 21" wheels in real-world conditions. The following factors, when combined, make the 21" wheels a risky proposition on anything but perfect pavement:

• Considerable weight of the vehicle
• Extremely low tire profile
• 42 PSI maximum allowable tire pressure (per tire manufacturers)
• Alloy used to make the wheels
• The wheel architecture, particularly at the perimeter

I did have a similar problem with an Audi S6 that I drove for ten years. The wheels on that car were only 17", but I still suffered bent wheels.

I contacted Tesla engineering about this a month ago. Perhaps Tesla can get its wheel supplier to modify the 21" wheel design to make it more sturdy.

Last edited:
While running the original Michelin 21s-dented a rim and ruined the tire. The dent in rim was able to be straightened and wheel brought back into balance. Auto dealer service depts can likely supply vendor name they use. Cost was $85.

Subsequently, at 22K miles, switched to Continental Extreme Contacts-they are a "heavy load" tire per description on sidewall...the maximum pressure they can carry is 51lbs--I have been running at 45 lbs.

Lastly-got a real tire gauge at Amazon--around $21...and check tires weekly. Here is link..

Amazon.com: Auto Meter 2343 Autogage Mechanical Tire Pressure Gauge: Automotive

30k miles and no bent rims. If you're driving low profile tires, you need to pay attention to the condition of the road. Some are unavoidable pot holes, so you slow down...Don't worry about the driver behind you. He ain't going to pay for your rims/tires. Some potholes are avoidable.

I have my SL with 20" rims with 25 series tires with over 50k miles, and NO BENT RIMS. If you're the type of driver that drives w/o looking at what is coming in front of you, go with a truck. You can run over a curb and wouldn't even hurt you.

12 months and so far no bent wheels, if one of the wheels did get bent there is a wheel repair business in town (the wheel doctor) that I could try, they fixed a corvette wheel for me that looked really bad, $190 later it looked and drove like new. :smile:

3 bent/cracked rims and 4 blown tires since May. I woke up this morning to another flat. I am putting my 19s back on and selling my 21s. They're all pretty much brand new if anyone wants them!

And for those of you that say you need to "watch where you're driving" and that the "potholes are avoidable" - thanks for the tip. You CLEARLY do not live in New England.

I've never in my life seen a bent wheel. I don't know how you guys manage to do this.

I guess it's the ridiculously low profile tires on huge wheels. That low a profile was the niche of the counterculture extremist a few years back. Not sure why it's becoming the norm. I say go for the 19" wheels.

Last edited:
I bent a 19" rim but had to drive over a low curb to do it. In fact 3 tires drove over the curb with no ill effects, the fourth only caught the inside of the wheel, not the whole thing so bubble in the sidewall and a slight bent. Damn center island was tough to see in the rain while making a turn.

Took it to a local shop and he fixed the rim and mounted and balanced a new tire (which I had) for $125.

Wow, you must really either drive hard or have amazingly sharp potholes. I thought we had the world champ potholes here in Chicago.

Last year, while driving 21s in spring, I had 2 sidewall blowouts in a week on 21s. However no rim damage. Since then, I've just been extra vigilant, and also bought 20s for Oct through April. Since then, knock wood, no issues.

My advice: buy 20s. There are lots of great rim options, they still look really low profile, and the extra inch of sidewall makes them much more durable. Plus, I think the 20s wear much better as well. There's a good thread with pix about aftermarket wheels/tires here Show off your aftermarket wheels.

every time I go to a service center there are multiple cars there being repaired for tires and rim damage. I remember norristown and queens had piles of blown out tires and bent rims. when I was at queens even one was being towed in while i was there for blowing out two tires on a pothole. queens even said that most of their cars in there for repair are for tire and rim repair or replacement every 5k for inner edge wear. I was told that most of the owners just don't realize what they ordered (they were click happy) and had no idea how susceptible low profile tires are to damage and many of them just end up downgrading to 19s since the 21s are too costly to maintain plus the frequent inconveniences. its not like Tesla communicates this very clearly while your ordering either. they only have a tiny little disclaimer about it that nobody probably reads. it's not like they call you and say "are you sure you really want these 21s?". they should.

every time I go to a service center there are multiple cars there being repaired for tires and rim damage. I remember norristown and queens had piles of blown out tires and bent rims. when I was at queens even one was being towed in while i was there for blowing out two tires on a pothole. queens even said that most of their cars in there for repair are for tire and rim repair or replacement every 5k for inner edge wear. I was told that most of the owners just don't realize what they ordered (they were click happy) and had no idea how susceptible low profile tires are to damage and many of them just end up downgrading to 19s since the 21s are too costly to maintain plus the frequent inconveniences. its not like Tesla communicates this very clearly while your ordering either. they only have a tiny little disclaimer about it that nobody probably reads. it's not like they call you and say "are you sure you really want these 21s?". they should.

Actually after I did my test drive way back in March of last year I was specifically told not to get the 21s (didn't want them anyway) by the guy at Short Hills.

Knowing full well in advance the potential to bend the rim on a low profile tire there was not snowball's chance in heck that I would have bought my Model S with the 35 series 21's and had there been an 18" option with 50's or 55's I would have taken it.

The brakes appear to be too large to retrofit 18's.

Knowing full well in advance the potential to bend the rim on a low profile tire there was not snowball's chance in heck that I would have bought my Model S with the 35 series 21's and had there been an 18" option with 50's or 55's I would have taken it.

different strokes for different folks I guess, but it's my feeling that anyone who retrofits 18s on an MS should have it confiscated!

Yes 21s are extreme, but I've had same profile on 4 cars and this is only one with chronic damage. Could be weight, suspension setup, torque, or all of above. Lowest you will see me retreat is 20s which are awesome.

I would have done the same. The main advantage of extremely low profile tires is the additional profits to the tire manufacturer.

I've never in my life seen a bent wheel. I don't know how you guys manage to do this.

I guess it's the ridiculously low profile tires on huge wheels. That low a profile was the niche of the counterculture extremist a few years back. Not sure why it's becoming the norm. I say go for the 19" wheels.

Sometimes it's so subtle that you won't notice it, except at specific highway speeds. Mine were discovered when I got my wheels rebalanced using the same Roadforce Balancer used by Tesla service. That machine is sensitive enough to detect very small deviations from true. Three of my 21" wheels are out of true, even though I don't use them in the winter, and I'm a very careful driver. But Tesla's cast wheels appear to be so soft that a less-than-smooth railroad crossing can bend them. The weight of the car has a lot to do with it. Tesla should switch to a forged wheel. That would reduce the number of bent wheels considerably.