Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent 21” Uberturbine / Caused Flat… quick question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lovely wife was driving my MYP and got a bit too close to the edge of a road with a drop off and the right rear wheel literally fell off the road and in the process smashed the wheel/tire pretty good. It felt like a massive massive pot hole. Immediate inspection things seemed fine but a few minutes later we had a flat (My Tesla service center later showed me the inside of the rim and it bad enough to bend the wheel and cause a flat).

My question is tire related… when we got the low tire pressure alert eventually, I got out and the tire smelled of burning rubber and has zero PSI. Is this tire now a total loss? It seems to be a work in the walls since an inch or two of sidewalk was riding in the pavement essentially but it doesn’t have a puncture. Should I replace it anyway?

Also, I’m having the wheel fixed at a repair shop that specializes in straightening g out bent rims. Has anyone had good luck with this? I don’t want to also have to spend $1000 on a new wheel plus potentially $500 on the tire.

Any input would be great! I’m leaning towards replacing the tire as of now and spending $100 more (as opposed to Discount Tire) by having the Tesla Service Center do it (they were also nice enough to give me a loaner wheel / tire while I repair the rim.

Any input would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_7823.png
    IMG_7823.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7811.jpeg
    IMG_7811.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 139
Bend repair is common, you should be fine afterwards. List price is about $850 for a new wheel. My local wheel repair guy does them for about $150 if it's a single bend. The tire is what's going to break the bank here. No reason to go to Tesla for tires, they mark up the tires substantially and charge an arm and a leg for mounting/balancing. You will pay more for no extra gain from them.

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
Good to know the wheel should be fine. I’m torn as to whether to order a $450 rear tire (Tire Rack) but I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry considering I was cruising on this flat tire for a few miles at 55 mph and the integrity of the tire worries me now.

If this wasn’t a performance car, I wouldn’t be too worried but considering I accelerate 0 to 60 in an ungodly time I probably don’t want any issues haha.

There's a decent chance that the tire will bubble eventually in the location of the bend if used again. And driving it while flat wasn't ideal for the tire either. I'm usually pretty lax about stuff like this but... agreed. New tire is probably a good idea.

When the tire is dismounted there might be a cut on the inside of it where it pinched the wheel during the bend. I've seen it where there is more damage inside the tire than the outside. Danger lurks beneath! :)

Very reassuring. I just went ahead and placed a Tire Rack order. My tires only have 3500 miles on them so this set, and the single new tire, will be on the car for a while (hopefully) so I’d rather not worry. I appreciate the input!

Hi, for my Tesla Y performance model, the Überturbine Wheels tire pressure goes down by 1psi per day. I sent message to Tesla thru app, the estimated charges are $735. why it is expensive? can some one explain?