Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire/question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the response and attention to safety. That said, you don't know anyone who has died from a tire plug failure. You don't know anyone who knows someone who died of a tire plug failure.
Very true, same for a tubeless tire blowout, it just doesn’t happen. Run flats yes, but not a blow out.

Modern cars report tire pressure and have an oral alarm when pressure is low. Run flats should be a thing of the past.
The cost at a tire store to repair a tire is ~$20...
The problem is when the nail is in the outer part of the tread and tires stores won’t repair it. Tire stores will remove the tire and remove the nail then tell you the tire can’t be fixed.

Now that the nail has been removed the tire won’t hold air for five minutes and you’re stuck buying a new $250 tire. Happened to me twice before I got smart enough to find the nail first and plug it if in the outer treads. I’m no expert, but I’ve got 8,000 miles on a plug and it’s not lost a 1/10 of a pound.

Most tire stores will not plug a puncture in that area, as it flexes significantly when driving and more prone to failure than a similar puncture more centered in the tread.

Tesla and tire stores would recommend a tire replacement. Of course, you could save yourself some money by sticking some Monkey Grip plug in to seal the sir leak, but you would totally be on your own as far as risk.
As Clint Eastwood would say..."Are you feeling lucky, Punk?"