Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire replacement for stock 19" Gemini?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y with 19" Gemini OEM tires ran over a 2" screw yesterday puncturing the left rear passenger tire towards the inner side of the tire (unclear if unrepairable or not). The leak was substantial and tire went flat within 30 minutes. I patched it with a kit but there is still some slight PSI loss with driving. I'm taking it into America Tire this weekend to have it examined if the repair is functional or if replacement is needed.

I have ~15k miles on the current set of tires with frequent rotation so they're well taken care of. Ideally I'd like to replace just the punctured tire if it's not repairable.

• Am I looking at replacing 2 or all 4 tires if they can't repair the leaking tire?
  • If new tires are needed, is the Michelin AS4 the best all season tires to replace with? We live in SoCal so pretty dry weather with occasional snow trip to the mountain.

At 15k mileage and tread wear you should replace at a minimum both rear tires. The difference in tread depth between old and new could activate the traction control system, automatically apply the brake to the wheel with the worn tire that will rotate slightly faster than the opposite wheel and new tire.

I would listen to any suggestion from America's Tire. Purchase the America's Tire certificate for each new tire and you will never have to pay for tire repair for the life of the tires.

The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is a good choice for an all season tire. Another good choice would be the Michelin CrossClimate 2. Less well known, less expensive because they don't spend money on advertising (at least in the US) would be the Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

At 15k mileage and tread wear you should replace at a minimum both rear tires. The difference in tread depth between old and new could activate the traction control system, automatically apply the brake to the wheel with the worn tire that will rotate slightly faster than the opposite wheel and new tire.

I would listen to any suggestion from America's Tire. Purchase the America's Tire certificate for each new tire and you will never have to pay for tire repair for the life of the tires.

The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is a good choice for an all season tire. Another good choice would be the Michelin CrossClimate 2. Less well known, less expensive because they don't spend money on advertising (at least in the US) would be the Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
I would highly recommend the Crossclimate2. Put them on my kids cars and my wife’s as we live where it rains often and they track extraordinarily well and great on dry pavement as well.

Reactions: CyanideDN
I would highly recommend the Crossclimate2. Put them on my kids cars and my wife’s as we live where it rains often and they track extraordinarily well and great on dry pavement as well.

What's your efficiency (Wh/mile) for the CrossClimate 2? I'm averaging 260 wh/mi on the stock 19" (which is LRR?) so wondering if it'll be a huge drop in efficiency.

What's your efficiency (Wh/mile) for the CrossClimate 2? I'm averaging 260 wh/mi on the stock 19" (which is LRR?) so wondering if it'll be a huge drop in efficiency.
Ha, good to know but I don’t have a Tesla yet. They are on my family’s front wheel drive Volks, Awd X3 and bmw Awd x5. I’ve owned a lot of different tires on these and so far the Crossclimate2 is a big winner in the rain. I am starting to notice a lot more people with them here in TN.

19" tires: I replaced OEM Contis with the CrossClimate 2. In my environment (DFW region, exposed aggregate concrete/tar and chip) they were noisier than I could tolerate, replaced them with PilotSport A/S4s. Efficiency loss? from 289Wh/mi to 328Wh/mi...but I do a lot of highway cruising at 75-80mph. If I drive below 60mph, I can drop below 300Wh/mi.

Tried the CrossClimate2 on my 2019 Avalon Hybrid, and after2k miles, replaced them with the PilotSport A/S4s.

I decided AGAINST the tire certificates for the following reason. After 10k miles, with all tires significantly worn, if I have an unrepairable tire, the Certificate pays for the replacement, but does NOT pay for the replacement on the same axle. In this scenario, the cost of the certificates isn't justified.

You don't need a certificate for lifetime puncture repair at Discount Tire, or, I believe, TireAmerica.

I have 20's and when I changed from the stock Goodyears to the AS4's efficiency went from approx. 270 to 300 wh/mi on long trips (2 ea.) - expect a 10% hit. I'm very happy with the AS4's however and they haven't impacted my charger stops on long trips so all good. Around town it's lower of course and not an issue.

this should answer your question

TIA-repairable-area.jpg

Reactions: justlikeyours
19" tires: I replaced OEM Contis with the CrossClimate 2. In my environment (DFW region, exposed aggregate concrete/tar and chip) they were noisier than I could tolerate, replaced them with PilotSport A/S4s. Efficiency loss? from 289Wh/mi to 328Wh/mi...but I do a lot of highway cruising at 75-80mph. If I drive below 60mph, I can drop below 300Wh/mi.

Tried the CrossClimate2 on my 2019 Avalon Hybrid, and after2k miles, replaced them with the PilotSport A/S4s.

I decided AGAINST the tire certificates for the following reason. After 10k miles, with all tires significantly worn, if I have an unrepairable tire, the Certificate pays for the replacement, but does NOT pay for the replacement on the same axle. In this scenario, the cost of the certificates isn't justified.

You don't need a certificate for lifetime puncture repair at Discount Tire, or, I believe, TireAmerica.

Was the CC2 causing too much noise for you versus the stock gemini tires?

I have an MYP so originally had 21" uberturbines with Michelin All Sports 4 tires but traded for a 19" Gemini set with Continental OEM tires for comfort. Right away I noticed a lot more road noise with the Conti OEM versus the previous Michelin AS4 wheels. If the CC2 is going to be just as loud as the Conti OEM then I'd rather get AS4 since we basically will only see snow on ski trips but 99% of the time just sunny condition.

Thanks for the graph...unfortunately the nail landed right around the border of the red & green zone so unclear if repairable...gotta go to the tire shop this weekend since my temporary patch is still leaking slowly.
If you have already attempted to repair the tire yourself the tire shop may decline to further repair the tire. The tire shop may not be willing to accept the liability for repairing a tire where a repair has already been performed. This is why it is best to bring the vehicle to the tire center with the screw etc. still in the tire and then the tire shop can determine the best way to repair the tire when a repair is possible.

If you have already attempted to repair the tire yourself the tire shop may decline to further repair the tire. The tire shop may not be willing to accept the liability for repairing a tire where a repair has already been performed. This is why it is best to bring the vehicle to the tire center with the screw etc. still in the tire and then the tire shop can determine the best way to repair the tire when a repair is possible.
Unfortunately the wife ran over the nail late at night and had to get to work early the next morning so I had no choice but to patch it up since the tire deflated almost completely within 20 minutes or so. This will be an expensive Valentine's day gift for her with the tire replacement...

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Thanks for the graph...unfortunately the nail landed right around the border of the red & green zone so unclear if repairable...gotta go to the tire shop this weekend since my temporary patch is still leaking slowly.
Curious how you "patched" this as it's still leaking? You're referring to a plug correct? And have you plugged tires in the past? Normally a leak caused by a nail is the easiest type to plug so just wondering if this was your first repair attempt.

And I'm sure she'll appreciate the tire "gift". If I said that to my wife it would be immediately followed by a death glare... 😵‍💫😵‍💫

Curious how you "patched" this as it's still leaking? You're referring to a plug correct? And have you plugged tires in the past? Normally a leak caused by a nail is the easiest type to plug so just wondering if this was your first repair attempt.

And I'm sure she'll appreciate the tire "gift". If I said that to my wife it would be immediately followed by a death glare... 😵‍💫😵‍💫
Not ashamed to admit this was first patch attempt. I used this plug kit: https://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-60204-8-Plug-Tire-Repair/dp/B00CRCQFPS

Unfortunately since it was late at night and dark I might have chosen the smaller plug instead of the larger one? What hit the tire was a 2" screw (not nail) which somehow buried itself all the way in. The screw is grooved so it probably chewed up my tire upon extraction. Either way this is an expensive lesson for the both of us. If the tire wasn't leaking so badly I would've waited to get it properly patched. The tire is losing about 1-2 PSI a day so it's still drivable this week despite my shoddy work.

Not ashamed to admit this was first patch attempt. I used this plug kit: https://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-60204-8-Plug-Tire-Repair/dp/B00CRCQFPS

Unfortunately since it was late at night and dark I might have chosen the smaller plug instead of the larger one? What hit the tire was a 2" screw (not nail) which somehow buried itself all the way in. The screw is grooved so it probably chewed up my tire upon extraction. Either way this is an expensive lesson for the both of us. If the tire wasn't leaking so badly I would've waited to get it properly patched. The tire is losing about 1-2 PSI a day so it's still drivable this week despite my shoddy work.
Ahh no worries get practice! I used to do these as a kid at my brothers garage in NY.

Good to know the Victor tire repair plugs worked for you as a temporary repair. Two sizes of plug are included in the kit. You are supposed to match the plug to the size of the screw etc. that embedded in the tire. You thread the Victor plug into the puncture hole and then snap off the head of the plug. The Victor plug is just a temporary plug to get you going again until the tire can be repaired or replaced. The Victor plug is much easier to use than a conventional tire plug kit.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
Good to know the Victor tire repair plugs worked for you as a temporary repair. Two sizes of plug are included in the kit. You are supposed to match the plug to the size of the screw etc. that embedded in the tire. You thread the Victor plug into the puncture hole and then snap off the head of the plug. The Victor plug is just a temporary plug to get you going again until the tire can be repaired or replaced. The Victor plug is much easier to use than a conventional tire plug kit.
I didn't even know this type existed, interesting.

Yes I really like the plug kit since the MY has mud flaps and the traditional way of patching (puncture tool, insert the patch, cement, trim) would be quite difficult with the mud flaps in the way due to limited clearance.