Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leak even after plugging tire… replacement tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - M3 RWD with Michelin OEM tires. Orig tires that came with the car. They only have 14K on them. Front driver side tire got a screw in it (middle of tire, not side wall). Took it to a tire shop (big chain) and they plugged it for free. However noticed the next day tire pressure was a bit lower. Took it back to the shop again and they said the plug can’t be fixed (hole apparently too large for the plug to cover) and that the tire now needs to be replaced instead (2 minimum). They offered the first tire for free. Front and rear tires have been rotated twice (at around 6k miles each time). According to the shop, tires are down to 5/32 tread depth.

Can I replace just two tires? I am looking at Goodyear Assurance Maxlife tires which can go up to 85k. I understand they won’t go all the way to 85k but a friend has them on his 2018 M3 LR with 19 rims and he said his tires got 40k so far and still have good tread life left. Anyway, my question is: Can I have the new pair of Goodyear tires which have 11/32 tread brand new (to be placed in rear) co-exist with the old 5/32 tread tires in the front? Would this cause driving issues (stability, etc)?

Or shall I replace all 4 tires now?

So unfortunate that I need to replace 2 or all 4 as I think they can still go for another 10k miles at least. Not sure if they messed up the job that’s why they offered the first tire for free… got me thinking :-(

Last edited:
Of course you can. I see you’ve already made your decision but OEM tires at 5/32” are barely half worn. Zero reason to throw them away.
Ty! I agree, I think I have another 10k on them. People from different shops have differing opinion each time. On the net, I’ve read folks who have the same OEM tires as my car said theirs had gone only 16k or 19k etc. i know it depends on how one drives but mine only have 14k on them. The shop I am taking my car to says to replace when it gets to 4/32 and that I have 3k-5k miles before I have to come back to get new ones. Anyway I just had to make a decision and call it the day as I’ve spend countless hours on this (going back and forth to the shop 4x now this week, research, waiting time, etc). Whew!

The shop I am taking my car to says to replace when it gets to 4/32 and that I have 3k-5k miles before I have to come back to get new ones.
2/32" is the legal minimum in the US. However, it may be a good idea to replace if below 4/32" going into a wet season.

An alternate strategy would have been to get two new tires and put them on the rear, leaving them there until they got close to the same tread depth as the two old ones before starting to do tire rotations again.

Took it back to the shop again and they said the plug can’t be fixed (hole apparently too large for the plug to cover) and that the tire now needs to be replaced instead (2 minimum).
If it can't be plugged then they should patch it. They screwed up the plug job.

If I had to replace, I would do just two. Flats can happen again and again. Tires are expensive. Get your moneys worth.