Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would this tire and wheel setup have a significant impact on range? (18x9 et30 with 245/45 Pilot AS4)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up a 2022 Model 3 Performance last week and I love it so far. I am generally not a fan of low profile tires with super large wheels, so the 20" wheels had to go.. I replaced them with 18x9 et30 wheels (Fast FC04) with 245/45/18 tires (Pilot AS/4) at 42 PSI cold. The 245 section tire increases the diameter of the stock config by 0.8%.

Here is how the front tires are sitting, poking out just a slight amount.

The rear tires are actually fitting perfectly flush with the fenders, if anything very slightly tucked in so I'm not too concerned with that

I know that going from high performance summer tires (they're as hard as a hockey puck in the cold) to brand new stickier AS4s are going to cause an impact on range. But what about the dimensions of the wheel itself?

The shop that installed them put a 3mm shim to fill the gap created by the M3Ps odd wheel hub.. Does that effectively space the wheels out by 3mm?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-23 at 10.25.08_80675f1b.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-23 at 10.25.08_80675f1b.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 24
You can probably expect an increase in range in this tire change.
You're effectively at 18x9 +27 with the 3mm spacer.

-Danny
Yeah that’s what I was hoping, but it’s currently 45 degrees where I am (7 celsius), and on a quick 20 mile loop on the highway at 70mph I was achieving around 300wh/mi. On the 20” wheels I could get it down to about 260.

When the tires “break in” after a while could I expect some better efficiency?

Yeah that’s what I was hoping, but it’s currently 45 degrees where I am (7 celsius), and on a quick 20 mile loop on the highway at 70mph I was achieving around 300wh/mi. On the 20” wheels I could get it down to about 260.

When the tires “break in” after a while could I expect some better efficiency?
Hard to say. There's too many variables in your testing, especially in cold weather.

-Danny

Hard to say. There's too many variables in your testing, especially in cold weather.

-Danny
Fair enough. I did a 30 mile loop on the highway, 15 miles each way and collected the average WH/mile in the energy app and it indicated 298 at 70mph. Literally fresh, brand new tires installed last night.

Given the conditions would you say that's around average?