Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Tire has zero tread after 15K miles. Other tires fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point think the OP is ahead, but for anyone else get to know rhe SC site manager (service and sales) prior to delivery as to handle and escalate issues like these
If this was mine, at a min I would have accepted free alignment and split the price of the replacement tire as to accept responsibility for not observing abnormal conditions on a new vehicle
My experience with Tesla, personally knowing this manager is key for getting what you want
They treat me like gold
Great advice. This is what I was hoping would happen. The service center in town is a small service only location. A new big center is being built. I did the best I could while being very nice.

Looking at his picture and Tesla's confirmation thats not a rotation issue. Something was wrong in the area where that tire was. Either the tire or suspension or alignment or balance.

Rotating another tire to where that bad one was will only mean that he now has 2 bad tires (if the problem isn't the tire itself). It would be a good thing that he didn't rotate a bunch of good tires through that bad location.
I will definitely be watching this new tire closely. Tesla didn’t recommend rotation last year or today.

Reactions: gtgarner
Looking at his picture and Tesla's confirmation thats not a rotation issue. Something was wrong in the area where that tire was. Either the tire or suspension or alignment or balance.

Rotating another tire to where that bad one was will only mean that he now has 2 bad tires (if the problem isn't the tire itself). It would be a good thing that he didn't rotate a bunch of good tires through that bad location.
The car was checked by Tesla. The alignment was slightly off in the front, which would not cause this . Balance will NOT wear a tire bald compared to the other tires, it would cause cupping, there's no sign of that on the bald tire. Suspension issue is also unlikely due to the consistent wear of the bald tire, a suspension issue that would cause excessive wear, does not wear the tire evenly. Tesla also as reported by the OP checked the suspension. It's most likely the cause of a RWD vehicle, a driver with a heavy right foot, and lack of rotation. Could it be a individual manufacturer problem with the tire, Yes, unlikely but possible.

Edit: OP did state Rear Tire had excessive wear.

Last edited:
It could very well have been that you got a bad tire (soft tire) from the manufacturer - and that it's no one's fault (except maybe the tire vendor)

I received a bad (soft sidewall) Michelin PS4 before and discount tire replaced it free of charge because there is a mileage warranty on their products.
Michelin said they would provide a partial refund when I contacted them today, but I have been unable to get the tire dot # from Tesla and I forgot to make a note before the tire was swapped. I should have taken a picture. Service didn’t provide the whole number when requested, just the number of the replacement tire which is on the invoice. It wore so much faster than the other three.

Michelin is mailing me a check as a courtesy even without an inspection or tire number. They said tires that come with vehicles aren't normally covered under the same warranty, but that they will cover due to premature loss of tread. I am surprised and grateful. I will probably buy through Costco next time after seeing they offer 5 years of coverage. I appreciate everyone's input and advice on the issue I had.