Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New LR Model Y (Dec ‘23) - losing tire pressure every couple days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a new LR Model Y (Dec ‘23). It’s got close to 1k miles. Have been noticing I need to add pressure to one of the tires (goes down to 39ish PSI after I fill it up to 44-45 hot). This is with in town drive (<50 miles for daily work drive). I have to inflate it every other day. This is with passenger front tire.

What could be the potential cause? And recommend action. Should I get Tesla service to look at it ? Or local tire shop be better?

Thank You!

Nail in the tire. Discount Tire will patch a tire for free.

Ok - but if they cannot “see” the nail would Tesla take a look (their mobile service has come in before - about 45m away from nearest service center) ?
Just looks more like valve or other tire issue than flat up nail - just the slowness of PSI going down over days. Drove it over 400 mile trip on I95 (with temps varying quite a bit over the trip - 65+ to ~25 at night)

Has it been behaving that way since day 1? If not, I’d prob bring it into to a local tire shop and let them diagnose it. If they can’t find a problem with the tire, then I’d take it into Tesla. Just curious: if you don’t fill the tire, does it continue to lose PSI or does it maintain a steady 39 PSI?

Has it been behaving that way since day 1? If not, I’d prob bring it into to a local tire shop and let them diagnose it. If they can’t find a problem with the tire, then I’d take it into Tesla. Just curious: if you don’t fill the tire, does it continue to lose PSI or does it maintain a steady 39 PSI?

It seems like it’s holding around 39/38 PSI - was just concerned that it will go lower and give an alarm or other issues while someone else in family uses it and inflated it again to 43/cold PSI.

treat this as any other tire issue and bring it to a mechanic / tire place and have it looked at. if you are putting air in every other day, there is a leak

makes sense - will monitor today as well (esp after I inflated yesterday morning, at least temps last 2 days within the region won’t make it change significantly). App does show temp moved from 45psi to 41psi in this tire remotely but will check later in the day after it’s run a bit (I suspect even pressure monitor could be a bit off - but at least over a day of close watch other 3 tires are holding about the same pressure)

If it’s a valve issue - and it’s new car/new tire (or even if somehow tire wasn’t fit well when coming out of factory) - wouldn’t it be something that Tesla should look at and be aware and fix (to not have other users diagnose same issue all over again) ? Just looks like something other than a flat. Will have it checked with local tire shop tomorrow/weekend - hoping they’ll at least find the issue.

(PS - I’ve had a weird issue separately which looks to be a non issue but I wasn’t aware. SC’ing day before in the night with temps below 30, suddenly noticed a big whitish plume gushing out from around below front hood and front tires both sides. Having read some recent news about battery and burning cars! :) - got concerned as wife and kids are more frequent users. Turns out charging can do that sometimes so isn’t a concern and then in parallel this dipping pressure thing… just settling down with new car - never saw all this with previous 5yr old model 3)

I hadn’t considered that but could certainly be the case. I assumed it had been inflated cold.
I suspected that too initially as I moved up and down I95 corridor, temps ranging from 70s to high 20s overnight and somehow my current pressure gauge also showing variations, coupled with hot/cold tire pressure thing.
I just don’t see the consistency yet but being in consistent temps over this week should help. I found it very interesting (the pressure loss) and then over 2-3 days of casual car display checks while driving noticed at least 1 losing pressure much more (we moved from warmer temps to cooler during this time).
Thanks all for pooling your thoughts.
Idea is to fix the thing before it leaves tire much more damaged.

makes sense - will monitor today as well (esp after I inflated yesterday morning, at least temps last 2 days within the region won’t make it change significantly). App does show temp moved from 45psi to 41psi in this tire remotely but will check later in the day after it’s run a bit (I suspect even pressure monitor could be a bit off - but at least over a day of close watch other 3 tires are holding about the same pressure)

If it’s a valve issue - and it’s new car/new tire (or even if somehow tire wasn’t fit well when coming out of factory) - wouldn’t it be something that Tesla should look at and be aware and fix (to not have other users diagnose same issue all over again) ? Just looks like something other than a flat. Will have it checked with local tire shop tomorrow/weekend - hoping they’ll at least find the issue.

(PS - I’ve had a weird issue separately which looks to be a non issue but I wasn’t aware. SC’ing day before in the night with temps below 30, suddenly noticed a big whitish plume gushing out from around below front hood and front tires both sides. Having read some recent news about battery and burning cars! :) - got concerned as wife and kids are more frequent users. Turns out charging can do that sometimes so isn’t a concern and then in parallel this dipping pressure thing… just settling down with new car - never saw all this with previous 5yr old model 3)
I would agree that if it is a valve issue, then Tesla would be "responsible" but if the SC is far away, not worth the effort, a tire place can replace the valve in a couple of minute and maybe charge you 5 bucks. I have seen stories about the white steam issue, it comes from your heat pump trying to warm up the battery for charging. I dont see this with 2021 MY but there must have been a change in recent years to improve the heat enough the cause steam.

I would agree that if it is a valve issue, then Tesla would be "responsible" but if the SC is far away, not worth the effort, a tire place can replace the valve in a couple of minute and maybe charge you 5 bucks. I have seen stories about the white steam issue, it comes from your heat pump trying to warm up the battery for charging. I dont see this with 2021 MY but there must have been a change in recent years to improve the heat enough the cause steam.

My only hitch (and that too cause car is so new that it’s on temp number plate :)) is tire folks handling a new car in a rush (and more lifting it without pucks). But things have gotten better last year or so with many more Teslas coming in for service (in southern CT) and tire or garage folks seem to answer queries much better than earlier where you would get a puzzled look :)

Steam issue (likely that’s what it was) - was quite bit sudden (almost like a fire smoke, and in dark that got to me a bit as I was focused somewhere else). And I tried recharging again at SC ~10m later. Oddly, for about ~30m or so the temp display showed around 65F when temp there was around 27ish. Even after I drove the car for 15m. Mucked up the temp sensor.

In summary, it’s very sooradic it seems (looking over web some earlier comments). And safe!

I recently got back from long driving trip - my suspect was if something damaged any component from the underside to cause this not so common plume. Definitely will be keeping an eye out at SC (esp cold temps)

l see your concern of mechanics just lifting cars without pucks, I keep a set of pucks (from amazon) in the storage bin and give to the tires guys to use when neede. Most of larger places like Discount Tires know this and have them on hand.

With a puck:

IMG_2570.jpg

Without:
IMG_2569.jpg

I don't use pucks on the lift either, but if they're around I'll grab them.