Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neilostroff

Supporting Member
May 23, 2023
Hallandale Beach
Good morning

I have 2023 model Y long range with 3500 miles.

Tire pressure was always regulated to exactly what I wanted which was 42 cold. I live in Miami so I understand when it goes way up when I’m driving in the heat.

My issue is I had my tires rotated last week at Tesla and now two of the tires are at 42 when I get up in the morning but the other FL and RR are at 44. I’ve tried lowering the pressure in those tires to 40 and driving around a little bit and still the system tells me that those two are at 44.

Does anybody know if there’s a way to reset the tire pressure readings?

Thanks, Neil in Miami.

Since your tires were just rotated it’s possible the sensors don’t yet know which wheel they are attached to. You may be letting air out of the wrong tires. I really don’t understand how the sensors learn where they are, or how long that takes. Maybe @Discount Tire can jump in here and explain?
The Tesla Model TPMS is an auto relearn system and takes only a few minutes of driving to reset. We are not aware of any software recalibration that can be done, however a visit to your Tesla dealer might be in order if the sensors are defective.

Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0
You can also force the car to relearn/reset tire settings and reset the mileage for another 6,250 miles.

1712155500559.png

Upvote 0
In my experience the TPMS readings for most late model cars are very accurate and the error is way below 2 psi. Being OCD, I can report that if the car is parked somewhere where the temp is constant across all 4 tires ( under ground parking garage for example ) and the pressure is set using a high quality tire gauge then all the TPMS readings will be the same for both my Teslas.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Since your tires were just rotated it’s possible the sensors don’t yet know which location they are attached to. You may be letting air out of the wrong tires. I really don’t understand how the sensors learn where they are, or how long that takes. Maybe @Discount Tire can jump in here and explain?
This exactly.

I would do the reset procedure above and report back.

Upvote 0
Ten years ago I got a flat 100 miles from home. Put the spare on and headed for home.

Twenty five miles down the road a Low Tire light comes on (middle of no where, no spare). It didn't say which tire or the pressure, just Low Tire. I pulled over, everything looked good. Restarted the car, no error message.

Another 25 or so miles I get a Low Tire message again. Pulled into a gas station and checked all tires. All okay, I hit the road again.

The third time I got a Low Tire message I realized the flat tire in the trunk was sending the message. Kind of like an old girlfriend, you put her away and move-on, but she keeps calling.

Reactions: electricar
Upvote 0
In my experience the TPMS readings for most late model cars are very accurate and the error is way below 2 psi. Being OCD, I can report that if the car is parked somewhere where the temp is constant across all 4 tires ( under ground parking garage for example ) and the pressure is set using a high quality tire gauge then all the TPMS readings will be the same for both my Teslas.
My tires all fluctuate about 1-2 psi being in the same garage from day to day.

Upvote 0