Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tire pressure drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rlsd

Feb 12, 2023
San Diego
In the last 8 months I had to inflate my tires 3 or 4 times.
When the pressure was at 41, 42 PSI cold, I inflated to 43, 44 PSI.
The pressure of all 4 tires dropped consistently at the same level.
I don't recall that I had to inflate my old ICE car that often.
Is this normal?

It's depends on the temperature too. If you inflate it at say 70f to 42psi and next morning you are looking at the pressure at 59f then temperature displayed would be less than 42psi but it will comeback while you drive as the air expands because of heat in the tire

If you're talking 1-3 PSI up or down, that's just air getting colder & hotter...physics.
If you're talking the tires keep going down 10 PSI, then they're leaking.

Given it's happening in all tires, I'm guessing you're just watching PSI drop a bit when they get cold. Perfectly normal.

It's depends on the temperature too. If you inflate it at say 70f to 42psi and next morning you are looking at the pressure at 59f then temperature displayed would be less than 42psi but it will comeback while you drive as the air expands because of heat in the tire
I inflated them to 43, 44 PSI after the temperature drop in the morning. After driving the pressure went up to 44-46 PSI. After about 2, 3 months the pressure went down to 41, 42 in the morning.

T is increasing from from winter to spring and summer but P still drops.
Tire pressure changes constantly depending on the temperature. If you measure it during the colder time of the day (night or early morning) it is 1-2 psi lower, but if you measure during the hotter times of the day, you will have higher pressure.
If the pressure drops as the temperature rises, you have a small leak.

I've had sets of 4 tires that require air more often than other tires. Unknown actually why, but...

The onboard BT sensor readings will always change up/down, here in TX, 3-5 degrees, depending on temperature, speed, etc. etc.

I think the OP is seeing normal temp/altitude fluctuations in air pressure when watching the BT sensor readings.

The ONLY way to accurately check PSI is cold tires, morning (?), no direct sunlight...

Last edited:
DaveLaguna: did your previous ICE cars have the ability to monitor 24/7, on the screen, that you were checking often?

The PSI monitoring system is showing the range of tire pressures that occurs when cars are driven, when ambient temperature changes, and the pressure changes that are shown are NORMAL.

Tire PSI is ALWAYS changing up/down, depending on ambient temps going up/down, and tire temp going up/down while driving. If ambient temp drops from 95f to 55f, the tire PSI will drop 5-7psi. (the amount isn't exact!) IT ISN"T LEAKING, the pressure changes with ambient temperature change.

ICE vs. EV cars? There are obvious differences. Tire PSI going up/down excessively isn't one of them. Period.

Reactions: DaveLaguna
Single data point: 30,000 mile on my 2020 MY LR AWD. Tire pressure goes up and down according to temperature (and driving use of course). Never had to add air since I've had the vehicle (car is either in AZ or on Cape Cod in summer, so no tremendous temp differences). Keep it at 42 lbs, although, as stated, when it's cold out it will drift down to 40 lbs or so.

Remarkably stable. It is what it is.

Rich

Reactions: DaveLaguna
Same here, 2023 Molde Y about 5500 miles and showing 36~37 psi on all 4 tires. Never seen that on ICE cars. Anyone else?
Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold, have not been driven for several hours and not in direct sunlight. First thing in the a.m. is a good time to check tire pressure, when the vehicle has not been driven more than 1/2 mile. More than about a half mile and the tire pressure will start to rise. In direct sunlight the tires on the side of the vehicle facing the sun will read 1 or more PSI higher than the shade side of the vehicle.

Check tire pressure using a separate tire pressure gauge. A good quality gauge can be analog or digital and will be accurate +/- 1 PSI. LPT: Look for a tire pressure gauge that has a built in air release button as this makes it easier to set the correct pressure. To use the air release button, inflate the tire to the desired pressure + a little more pressure, then use the air release button to reduce the pressure to the desired setting by observing the pressure reading or analog gauge display.

As the seasonal temperature drops expect tire pressures to drop 1 to 2 PSI for every 10 degree drop in temperature. I usually air up for winter by setting tire pressure to 45 PSI starting around November. The slightly higher pressure will soon be at the desired pressure for winter temperatures. In spring I release air from the tires to bring the tire pressure back to the recommended 42 PSI. You can vary from the recommended tire pressure setting by 2 or 3 PSI, even 4 PSI with no issue. The ride may be firmer or softer and be more to your liking.

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like it shouldn’t be happening in my case. Saw the warning today around noon 76 F outside, and it’s been getting low over the past few weeks. Will inflate all 4 to 42 and report back after a couple weeks.

It isn't unusual for some tires to seep slightly over several months/seasonal changes. That has been my experience for 50+ years. Multiple brands, sizes, cars. It's a random thing.

Some do, some don't. DaveLaguna: you might just have a tire that slowly leaks air. Finding a "leak" might prove impossible.

Reactions: Silicon Desert