Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model Y soon! Wheels/tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the next month, I plan to be the owner of a new Model Y! I’m pretty excited
I’ve been researching as much as I can, but feeling overwhelmed with wheel and tire information. So, can you help me out here? Sit down for a quick chat! :)

My plan is to order the LR-AWD with basic wheels and replace. I live in the central US. I rarely drive in snow. Just need a decent tire for normal driving conditions with occasional rain.

How much benefit to Range and comfort is there by going to 18in wheels?
What tires would you recommend for 18s

How much range will I lose going to say a 20” wheel, or a 21” ? Does getting a forged wheel help mitigate the effects?

Tire recommendations for 20/21s??

Thanks so much for reading and maybe even responding

Within the next month, I plan to be the owner of a new Model Y! I’m pretty excited
I’ve been researching as much as I can, but feeling overwhelmed with wheel and tire information. So, can you help me out here? Sit down for a quick chat! :)

My plan is to order the LR-AWD with basic wheels and replace. I live in the central US. I rarely drive in snow. Just need a decent tire for normal driving conditions with occasional rain.

How much range will I lose going to say a 20” wheel, or a 21” ? Does getting a forged wheel help mitigate the effects?

If you just need a decent tire for normal driving conditions with occasional rain - the stock 19” Gemini wheels and tires are probably the best bang for the buck.

Someone chime in with alternative for the OP’s MY LR AWD.

I rock them Geminis…
IMG_0727.png

Last edited:
I'll second the Gemini wheels. Yes they are heavier than aftermarket wheels, but the latter tend not to have the aerodynamic wheel covers. And those usually help efficiency more than reducing wheel weight. The only brand I've seen with comparable aerodynamic efficiency reported is the FastEV EV01:

18" wheels will usually both soften the ride and improve efficiency, but again the Tesla wheel cover is where most of the efficiency comes from. So that would suggest a change from Gemini to Aero wheels. Aero's are expensive from Tesla, but take-offs can be found at the usual sites. Make sure to check the weight rating of any wheels you're considering, as the Gemini's are rated at (I believe) over 800kg, and you probably want at least 750kg. The newer Aero's are marked with 750kg, while the older Aero's fell short of that. If you're considering aftermarket 18" wheels, brake caliper clearance needs to be confirmed too.

Reactions: laservet
I went with the FastEV 18 inch wheels combined with 235/60 18 tires. Made a noticeable difference in ride quality. I wasn't able to do much testing in regards to rage as I sold those terrible 21 inch Uberturbine wheels right away. I have a MY Performance and the brake easily clear the FastEV rims. There is actually plenty of space. While the tires are technically a little too big, they also fit fine without any rubbing even when turning the wheel all the way left/right. The smaller rims also help with faster acceleration.

18" wheels will usually both soften the ride and improve efficiency, but again the Tesla wheel cover is where most of the efficiency comes from. So that would suggest a change from Gemini to Aero wheels. Aero's are expensive from Tesla, but take-offs can be found at the usual sites. Make sure to check the weight rating of any wheels you're considering, as the Gemini's are rated at (I believe) over 800kg, and you probably want at least 750kg. The newer Aero's are marked with 750kg, while the older Aero's fell short of that. If you're considering aftermarket 18" wheels, brake caliper clearance needs to be confirmed too.
I have these and they easily clear the performance brakes.

What are your goals? The stock 19's with aero covers are good middle ground.

i am also planning to buy soon, when the inventory discount goes back to $5,000 off.

if you want range and comfort, there are Model 3 aero 18" wheels w/ wheel covers available on ebay and sometimes here.

18 are also good for light offroading since you can max out the tire diameter to 28.6" and 5.3" sidewall with the 245/55R18 size.
235/55R18 will give you 28.2" diameter and 5.1" sidewall.
the 19 Gemini are 28" diameter and 4.5" sidewall.

if you're getting aftermarket wheels, get close ended lug nuts, M14x1.50, 60' conical acorn bulge.

if you want looks, 20 or 21.

Last edited:
You seem the most concerned about range. The more "open face" the wheel design, the more drag it will cause which really hurts range. Aerodynamics is even more important than weight.

The stock Gemini wheels check off all of your boxes. And, they will provide the most range possible if you keep the aero covers on.

For example, if you go with a lighter wheel that is completely open face, then your range will suffer due to the increase air drag.

Of course, the one thing that is hands down the most significant impact on range over all else is the speed you drive.

Reactions: holmgang

How much benefit to Range and comfort is there by going to 18in wheels? 19 down to 18" expect +3-6% bonus in range
What tires would you recommend for 18s if rarely ever snows where you are, Hankook ION EVO

How much range will I lose going to say a 20” wheel, or a 21” ? like above -3-5% 19 to 20, double the loss 19 to 21, incr rim rash with 21

Does getting a forged wheel help mitigate the effects? mitigate what?

Tire recommendations for 20/21s?? Hankook as above and Mich PSAS4+

inline above

You seem the most concerned about range. The more "open face" the wheel design, the more drag it will cause which really hurts range. Aerodynamics is even more important than weight.

The stock Gemini wheels check off all of your boxes. And, they will provide the most range possible if you keep the aero covers on.

For example, if you go with a lighter wheel that is completely open face, then your range will suffer due to the increase air drag.

Of course, the one thing that is hands down the most significant impact on range over all else is the speed you drive.

This was great info! I had not saw anything this concise and that makes complete sense. I was thinking lighter wheels we everything, didn't even think about the drag. Ty man!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D