Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - vehicle 4 weeks old already 2 tire punctures - warranty coverage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work next to a LeafFilter gutter location.. all of their subcontractors dump their trash in LeafFilter's dumpster. Along with their trash, everything in their vans spill out when they open their van doors. Driving past the dumpster is a mine field... I do my best to drive around the building if I have to go to the lower parking lot because the upper lot is full...
Drives me nuts, but I find a ton of screws walking through the lot.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I spent a night at a big motel with a huge parking lot. Took the dog for a walk around the area and saw lots of self-tapping sheet metal screws laying around. Began picking them up and when I got to all I could hold in one hand, (maybe 50 or so), stopped by the office. Handed them to the clerk and suggested they get someone with one of those magnetic sweepers that can clean a lot like that in 10 minutes, else they are going to get lots of complaints from customers. They brushed me off appropriately.

I checked around my new pickup with 200 miles or so, checked all the tires and all was well. When I backed out and left, was VERY careful to go slow and look for screws.

4 hours later 100 miles down the road TPS light came on. Checked the suspect tire, sure enough sheet metal screw so far to the edge no one would be willing to plug it. Fortunately I had a compressor with me and aired the tires every hour and could make it home. New tire = $389. Filed calm nice claim with motel, including pictures of screws in motel lot, screw in tire and handful that I handed their clerk. Got nice response - should have read more closely their sign in the office that they are not responsible for any bad things that might happen if you stayed there.

I guess my point is that bad stuff happens, frequently in suspicious groups, but it's just life, suck it up and get on down the road.

I spent a night at a big motel with a huge parking lot. Took the dog for a walk around the area and saw lots of self-tapping sheet metal screws laying around. Began picking them up and when I got to all I could hold in one hand, (maybe 50 or so), stopped by the office. Handed them to the clerk and suggested they get someone with one of those magnetic sweepers that can clean a lot like that in 10 minutes, else they are going to get lots of complaints from customers. They brushed me off appropriately.

I checked around my new pickup with 200 miles or so, checked all the tires and all was well. When I backed out and left, was VERY careful to go slow and look for screws.

4 hours later 100 miles down the road TPS light came on. Checked the suspect tire, sure enough sheet metal screw so far to the edge no one would be willing to plug it. Fortunately I had a compressor with me and aired the tires every hour and could make it home. New tire = $389. Filed calm nice claim with motel, including pictures of screws in motel lot, screw in tire and handful that I handed their clerk. Got nice response - should have read more closely their sign in the office that they are not responsible for any bad things that might happen if you stayed there.

I guess my point is that bad stuff happens, frequently in suspicious groups, but it's just life, suck it up and get on down the road.
In a justified world, that handful of screws would have found their way under the clerk's or mgr's car. Maybe then your suggestion would have been given more consideration.

I had my roof done 2 years ago, ground swept with magnet (who knows, I was at work) and still finding nails to this day every now and then.

Reactions: legendsk
They sold you a repair or replacement warranty on OEM tires?
Yes, that is correct, replacement of OEM tires. I forgot to mention that this warranty also includes free rotation and balancing. Obviously they are banking on future tire purchases, and not having to replace any of your tires. I have owned a lot of cars, trucks, trailers, and tires over the past 55 years. I think this is only the first, or maybe the second time that I have purchased a road hazard warranty. The primary reason for this purchase is the fact that I currently live amongst a lot of construction in a new neighborhood. I also rarely buy service contracts for other items that I purchase. So this purchase is not my SOP. One other note, I am meticulous when it comes to maintaining proper pressure in my tires, and routine rotation. Therefore the last many sets of tires have been replaced on other vehicles due to Florida dry rot, and not excessive wear. I'm hoping this preventative maintenance will also work for the Tesla.

Yes. That's what Discount Tires told me too. I turned down the offer because they will not replace all 4 tires. They only replace the damaged tire. Having one new tire and 3 old tires will make things worse. You pay upfront $225 for a new tire but you will pay more to replace all 4 tires sooner because all 4 tires are imbalanced, unless you replace all 4 at the same time. My car had nail puncture after 1 week too. I brought to Discount to replace. It costed $350. Tesla asked for $550.
So you expected a deal that replaces 4 expensive tires for $225 if you get a single flat?

Yes. That's what Discount Tires told me too. I turned down the offer because they will not replace all 4 tires. They only replace the damaged tire. Having one new tire and 3 old tires will make things worse. You pay upfront $225 for a new tire but you will pay more to replace all 4 tires sooner because all 4 tires are imbalanced, unless you replace all 4 at the same time. My car had nail puncture after 1 week too. I brought to Discount to replace. It costed $350. Tesla asked for $550.

So without the tire protection Discount Tire offers, and the stipulation that they don't replace all 4 if you have to replace one... what do you do when it's out of pocket, and you have a damaged tire that needs to be replaced?
Do you replace all 4? A pair? I've never heard of replacing multiple tires when one is unrepairable, unless they're close to the end of their usability.

True story....I've had my old over ten years and I've never once had to change a flat. It's got a newish set of Yokohamas on it with only 8K on them. Yesterday I drove it to work (mostly to test the new water pump I installed) and after posting in this thread, I came to find a rear tire flat on the ground with a piece of metal sticking out of the shoulder. Had a great time changing it at 5 PM while my coworkers all honked as they were pulling out.

You can't make this up. :mad:

So without the tire protection Discount Tire offers, and the stipulation that they don't replace all 4 if you have to replace one... what do you do when it's out of pocket, and you have a damaged tire that needs to be replaced?
Do you replace all 4? A pair? I've never heard of replacing multiple tires when one is unrepairable, unless they're close to the end of their usability.
I would replace a pair or all, depending on the remaining treads of the tires. I don't want the tread levels of the tires to be too much different when using FSD.
The average life time of a Tesla tire is about 2 years. So if the tires are already used for more than a year then I would replace all 4.
Since the lifetime of the Tesla tires is shorter than the lifetime of ICE cars, there is less chance that I will get a new puncture. I will probably lose $225 for nothing. If I pay $225 to Discount Tires I will gain only about $125 when I have tire damage regardless how many tires I want to replace.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
IMO the weight of the vehicle has very little to do with how many nails/screws our cars pick up. I have owned pickup trucks that weigh as much or more than our MY's for more that 40 years and find it's rare to pick up a nail. It seems it depends on where the vehicle is driven not the weight. I have had very few problems over the years until a contractor moved into the neighborhood and started dropping nails/screws out of the back of his pickup. Problems stopped when he moved out.

Reactions: Chewy13
True story....I've had my old over ten years and I've never once had to change a flat. It's got a newish set of Yokohamas on it with only 8K on them. Yesterday I drove it to work (mostly to test the new water pump I installed) and after posting in this thread, I came to find a rear tire flat on the ground with a piece of metal sticking out of the shoulder. Had a great time changing it at 5 PM while my coworkers all honked as they were pulling out.

You can't make this up. :mad:
The most amazing part of the story is that you have a water pump on your Tesla.

• Funny
I would replace a pair or all, depending on the remaining treads of the tires. I don't want the tread levels of the tires to be too much different when using FSD.
Replacing a pair makes perfect sense but replacing all four because "FSD" is a completely manufactured concern.
The average life time of a Tesla tire is about 2 years.
Tires don't last years, they last miles (unless you don't drive basically at all and they literally rot like on collector cars). This statistic is made up.
So if the tires are already used for more than a year then I would replace all 4.
😂

Replacing a pair makes perfect sense but replacing all four because "FSD" is a completely manufactured concern.

Tires don't last years, they last miles (unless you don't drive basically at all and they literally rot like on collector cars). This statistic is made up.

😂
Miles is the accurate number. However on the average people drive 15000 miles per year. My car already has 20 k miles in less than a year.

😂

It's a personal preference. Some people have concern.

It's a personal preference. Some people have concern.
There’s no arguing personal preference, just as there’s zero factual basis on which to light money on fire because you don’t want “tread levels of the tires to be too much different” when using FSD.

By all means, enjoy your preference, but let’s not represent it to others as rational.

There’s no arguing personal preference, just as there’s zero factual basis on which to light money on fire because you don’t want “tread levels of the tires to be too much different” when using FSD.

By all means, enjoy your preference, but let’s not represent it to others as rational.
If all the tires have different tread levels then they will not be worn evenly and they will be worn faster.

If you have 1 tire that's already worn a lot and the other 3 tires are new then the 3 new tires will be not worn evenly and they will be worn faster.
No. I’m sorry, you’ve made this up as well.

This may POSSIBLY be a slight concern with the other tire on the same axle. The other two? Not a chance.

Not that anybody ever has three brand new tires and one very worn one. What series of incidents and purchase decisions leads to that happening?

No. I’m sorry, you’ve made this up as well.

This may POSSIBLY be a slight concern with the other tire on the same axle. The other two? Not a chance.

Not that anybody ever has three brand new tires and one very worn one. What series of incidents and purchase decisions leads to that happening?
I am not making up. Read here:

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I am not making up. Read here:

Oh damn. Rentawheel.com really got it together on this one. I might “Crank my Suspension System” if I replace one tire! 😂

Thank you for enlightening me with this high quality source that is laying down unquestionable facts. I’ve got nothing more on this subject and stand corrected.

Have a great night. 😎

I think replacing a set of tires is a bit overkill. Remember we're measuring treadwear in 32nd's of an inch. A tire shop is just looking to make more money if they're pressuring you into replacing 2 or 4 tires, unless of course they're at their minimums - or you're going into the winter time and they suggest you do it (because time is money, so why come back later to do it?)