Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - vehicle 4 weeks old already 2 tire punctures - warranty coverage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

My model Y is less than 4 weeks old and already has it's second tire puncture. The first one on the inside shoulder only a week ago ($600 cad tire replacement). Now another puncture, same wheel outside shoulder (again $600 cad replacement). Ouch.

I live in Vancouver, BC and am no stranger to construction but in my 30+ years driving in this city, I have never experienced such frequency of bad luck. I've read Tesla's are especially susceptible to nails, screws, etc due to the extra weight they carry.

Question: Should I stick with Tesla and have them service my tire replacement for the quoted $600 cad, or go with Canadian Tire that offers a $17 warranty that offers free replacements. I have induction rims, so i'm weary of using a 3rd party do the mount and rebalance.

Also, any know if Tesla offers a warranty under these circumstances? The car is so new afterall.

Thanks in advance.
ENzo.

Yes I have sentry mode on and I park my car indoors anyway.

Our city is riddled with construction, so nails and screws are commonplace. I'm just surprised how easily these tires get penetrated. Again, I've read it's mostly due to the car's weight that makes them so succectible.

With that said, does anyone feel strongly about using Canadian Tire to replace my tires? I purchased the little pucks for them to hoist the car. The $17 replacement warranty is just something that can't be beat.

Like seriously...

PXL_20230930_210846568.jpg
IMG-20231014-WA0003.jpg

I'm just surprised how easily these tires get penetrated. Again, I've read it's mostly due to the car's weight that makes them so succectible.
I don’t think the weight of the car has anything to do with it.
Once a car is heavy enough to push a screw through the tire, extra weight doesn’t matter.

And I don’t believe the Tesla’s are more susceptible than any other car. It is likely a case of bad luck, or possibly (not very likely) being targeted.

That one may be patchable.
No tire shop is going to patch those. They're outside of the channels in the center of the tire.
You might find a chain tire shop that'll plug it, but they won't write you up - and do it as a courtesy, or you might find an independent mechanic who does tires, that'll plug it for you - but plugs are typically shied away from these days.
I have my own plug set for these exact scenarios, but usually it's to hold me over until I can bring it in to get it properly patched.
For those that can't be patched, I take into consideration how much tread is left, and if it's worth the risk of a blowout if the plug fails.

Thanks everyone. I'll just get it replaced.

Yes, awfully suspicious I know, but the car is parked indoors exclusively and I have cameras around my house. This is just a string of bad luck, albeit probably avoidable by staying far away from construction zones.

Thanks everyone. I'll just get it replaced.

Yes, awfully suspicious I know, but the car is parked indoors exclusively and I have cameras around my house. This is just a string of bad luck, albeit probably avoidable by staying far away from construction zones.
Hope your luck improves

The reason I thought they looked deliberate is because they’re screws - when I had similar poor fortune a few years ago, mine were all nails (timber construction) plus their orientation was totally random - yours are in precisely the right places to write off the tyre

You really hate to assume the worst in people but the fact is, there are haters out there. Those aren't your average screws used in construction. Those are machine screws with washers and the placements are too precise (right around the shoulder) to be an accident. I've had all kinds of suspicious punctures in my cars as well. My latest "accident" was with a box-cutter blade (broken off right in the middle of the tire). I was very lucky it was repairable with a patch.

IMG_3764.jpeg

You really hate to assume the worst in people but the fact is, there are haters out there. Those aren't your average screws used in construction. Those are machine screws with washers and the placements are too precise (right around the shoulder) to be an accident. I've had all kinds of suspicious punctures in my cars as well. My latest "accident" was with a box-cutter blade (broken off right in the middle of the tire). I was very lucky it was repairable with a patch.

View attachment 982780
thought I was the only person to lose a tire to a box-blade...

I had a screw in the right rear tire on our new Model Y at about 675 miles. I took it to "Discount Tire" here in the US since they claim to be Tesla experts. The screw was near the center of the tire and could be patched. Since the mileage on the tires was low, they offered me their road hazard warranty for repair or replacement on all four tires for about $225, less than half the price of one tire. Since we live in a new development with lots of construction, I did not even think twice about purchasing the warranty. The service rep's comment about Teslas, was that "they seem to eat nails". I am a previous customer, but I can't remember if that was a factor in the offer or not. I think he called it a "friend or family" deal.

There may be a common location where you picked up these flats. If the shop won't patch it, plug the tire yourself and move on. Plugging in the spot shown in your pic, would be perfectly fine to me. Suspect you'll be buying a lot of new tires if you don't.

I had a screw in the right rear tire on our new Model Y at about 675 miles. I took it to "Discount Tire" here in the US since they claim to be Tesla experts. The screw was near the center of the tire and could be patched. Since the mileage on the tires was low, they offered me their road hazard warranty for repair or replacement on all four tires for about $225, less than half the price of one tire. Since we live in a new development with lots of construction, I did not even think twice about purchasing the warranty. The service rep's comment about Teslas, was that "they seem to eat nails". I am a previous customer, but I can't remember if that was a factor in the offer or not. I think he called it a "friend or family" deal.
They sold you a repair or replacement warranty on OEM tires?

Reactions: zoomer0056
They sold you a repair or replacement warranty on OEM tires?
Yes. That's what Discount Tires told me too. I turned down the offer because they will not replace all 4 tires. They only replace the damaged tire. Having one new tire and 3 old tires will make things worse. You pay upfront $225 for a new tire but you will pay more to replace all 4 tires sooner because all 4 tires are imbalanced, unless you replace all 4 at the same time. My car had nail puncture after 1 week too. I brought to Discount to replace. It costed $350. Tesla asked for $550.

Last edited: