Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirt Roads and Salt Brine: Rusted 2 Y.O. Model Y Rear Brake Lines in New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have a 2020 Model Y that I drive up in fairly rural New Hampshire - part of my road is dirt, and I drive regularly on roads that are treated with brine including I-89.
When I went to get my car inspected, the mechanic pointed out my rusted (to the point of near failure) rear brake lines. (See pictures). I do go through a car wash with underspray a few times every winter....

Some back-and-forth in the app with the Tesla service department in Massachusetts (Hey Tesla, how about a service location in Vermont or New Hampshire please!) they told me that the rust wouldn't be covered under warranty unless the brakes had actually rusted through and failed. (D'oh! -- so I have to crash before you'll pay for it?!?) repair estimate: $1,350 to replace ALL of the brake lines. OUCH!

I finally got down to the Tesla shop, and when they pulled the rear wheels, they understood what the issue really was: The casting of the body in the rear wheel wells has a lip that catches and holds not just dirt, but also the brine from the highway... creating a very nice moist environment around the unprotected steel rear brake lines in the wheel well. (see pictures). An inspection of the rest of the brake lines showed this was a very localized issue directly behind the wheels in that one section that has no cover or protection from the elements - it is a dirt and salt collector that is almost designed to rust out the rear brake lines... Estimate was reduced to replacing just these two rear brake lines (~$730).
After a "Call upstairs" the service department offered a credit of covering half the cost of the repair. Still will be out $315 for what is basically a design defect that will likely affect every Model Y that is ever driven on regular winter roads/dirt roads in New Hampshire, New England, and probably all of Canada too.
My question: Has anyone else experienced this issue? Just on a Model Y, or also on a Model 3?
This really needs a permanent fix - either some sort of non-corrosive brake lines on the rear brakes, or else some sort of cover for that part of the wheel well, or a modification to the casting so it doesn't collect dirt/brine/salt...
I can pressure-wash this area every week or two during the winter, but because of the location, I don't think the sprayer will reach without removing the tires... D'oh!
Thoughts anyone?

EA38151B-83EA-43B1-97CA-237A667C7F1D_1_105_c.jpeg
7B68FBE4-8B3F-47CE-947F-40FBE16C37C8_1_105_c.jpeg
7EA9BA78-2EA0-4FF0-9AEE-FEB514C92D07_1_105_c.jpeg

Jeez, even without washing the car at all, it should still last longer than that. I wash mine a lot more frequently in salt-laden NY, so mine are still pristine, but it seems like once yours is fixed you're gonna have to really be diligent about it.

Do you have Gemini or Induction wheels? If Induction, you should be able to spray through the wheel to get to this area. Or remove the caps on the Geminis perhaps, that should also work.

Part of me thinks you should have power-washed it before taking it to Tesla, maybe without all of the dirt and salt caked in there they would have been more eager to call it a vehicle defect.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to everyone's attention. It definitely seems like a "California Car" type oversight and is fully unacceptable considering the age of the vehicle and the possible ramifications of a brake line failure. Having salt packed into those crevices year round could also very well result in accelerated localized degradation of the AL casting. I would / will likely look into cleaning everything thoroughly before applying a spray on corrosion inhibitor like Cosmoline in the fall on an annual basis.

Combination of living in the snow belt, dirt road, road salt and lack of proper washing.
Auto car wash even with the under carriage does not reach that area at all. Those advertised under carriage wash is a joke. Washing with a garden hose will be a lot better at cleaning that area with fresh water.

Reactions: Big Earl
I just had a complete failure of the rear brake line while my son was driving. Completely corroded. Then the other rear brake line has to be replaced as they are at similar points. Would @Essar B mind sending a recent invoice redacted. Not looking for the goodwill aspect, but parts and labor.

I also have an unlimited wash pass, and wash very often in winter. Spray out as well in self service bays. Of course nothing wrong with how it works says Tesla. Say I must store my car in a bad place. Blame customer. I explain I could eat off my 1500 sq ft garage that holds 3 EV's as I walk out of service center. Guy says hey they blame me too. Why I come back I don't know.

Combination of living in the snow belt, dirt road, road salt and lack of proper washing.
Auto car wash even with the under carriage does not reach that area at all. Those advertised under carriage wash is a joke. Washing with a garden hose will be a lot better at cleaning that area with fresh water.
Agree absolutely. Don’t need to use a water blaster, just regular garden hose often and regularly. This kind of problem can affect ordinary gas car brake systems too, nothing unusual.

You peaked my interest as we also own a 2020 Aug build model Y. Living in the Montreal, Canada area we do get much worse winter conditions than NH, my brother lives in NH so I know exactly what you get down there. ;)

We must be the most salted area in all of North America. Our car gets garaged during the winter which is the worst thing one can do to prevent corrosion, much better leaving it in the cold so the snow/ice does not melt and start to activate corrosion. Car has 47,000km on it. Every spring and fall I personally swap from a winter tire set of wheels to a summer, lube and clean the brake pads/calipers. I would have seen if there was anything rusting up back there since it would stare me in the face.

Just took 2 pictures which are not that good since the wheel is on and I held the camera behind it but in our case I see no rust or maybe if I brushed the lines off there would be some surface rust but nothing compared to the cancer on your pictures.

How many miles do you have on the car? You mention dirt roads. Maybe the lines have been sand blasted from those roads and the protective plating has worn off? FYI, I never go and get the underside washed, just a quick exterior water/brush hand wash only wash in the garage when things get really nasty in winter. Something definitely different in your case.

IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up as a fellow NH resident! I will have this checked out next time I need to take it in for service.

I 100000% agree there needs to be a service location in NH, preferably closer to Concord than the MA border.

Some back-and-forth in the app with the Tesla service department in Massachusetts (Hey Tesla, how about a service location in Vermont or New Hampshire please!) they told me that the rust wouldn't be covered under warranty unless the brakes had actually rusted through and failed. (D'oh! -- so I have to crash before you'll pay for it?!?) repair estimate: $1,350 to replace ALL of the brake lines. OUCH!

I was just quoted ~$3500 to replace all 4 corroded brake lines in my 2018 Model 3 LR by the Peabody MA SC. Would you mind sharing your quote with me so I can show them and see if I can get a more reasonable estimate.

There was brand new jeep in Florida that someone purchased that was so rusty underneath that Jeep bought back the vehicle. I doubt there is much you can due but replace the lines. GM has this problem and The NHTSA found no defects and no recalls required. Where I live they use so much Salt on the roads that even after the Snow is gone the Salt plies up in the middle of the road and along the edges to main roads. There is so much of it that the State could Shovel it up and use it again for the next Storm.

Hello All,

I have a 2020 Model Y that I drive up in fairly rural New Hampshire - part of my road is dirt, and I drive regularly on roads that are treated with brine including I-89.
When I went to get my car inspected, the mechanic pointed out my rusted (to the point of near failure) rear brake lines. (See pictures). I do go through a car wash with underspray a few times every winter....

I finally got down to the Tesla shop, and when they pulled the rear wheels, they understood what the issue really was: The casting of the body in the rear wheel wells has a lip that catches and holds not just dirt, but also the brine from the highway... creating a very nice moist environment around the unprotected steel rear brake lines in the wheel well. (see pictures). An inspection of the rest of the brake lines showed this was a very localized issue directly behind the wheels in that one section that has no cover or protection from the elements - it is a dirt and salt collector that is almost designed to rust out the rear brake lines... Estimate was reduced to replacing just these two rear brake lines (~$730).
After a "Call upstairs" the service department offered a credit of covering half the cost of the repair. Still will be out $315 for what is basically a design defect that will likely affect every Model Y that is ever driven on regular winter roads/dirt roads in New Hampshire, New England, and probably all of Canada too.
My question: Has anyone else experienced this issue? Just on a Model Y, or also on a Model 3?
This really needs a permanent fix - either some sort of non-corrosive brake lines on the rear brakes, or else some sort of cover for that part of the wheel well, or a modification to the casting so it doesn't collect dirt/brine/salt...
I can pressure-wash this area every week or two during the winter, but because of the location, I don't think the sprayer will reach without removing the tires... D'oh!
Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 929407View attachment 929408View attachment 929409
I'd also encourage you to file a complaint with the NHTSB- this same issue cause our brake lines to fail when my wife was driving with our newborn baby. Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Hello All,

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 929407View attachment 929408View attachment 929409
Wow! The reason I came looking for it is BC I was in the process of rotating my wheels last week, and I noticed that lip! I also noticed sand sitting there too!, even though I had JUST washed the car the day before and physically sprayed behind the wheel myself (apparently not a good job). Anyhow, my concern was that wire connector right there (red tab), and that's why I came here -- looking for answers as far as if should I seal wrap it with something before it rusted away?. (My Y is 6 months old and I'm thinking long term, but I feel like I have a bigger problem now! How is that car supposed to last 10 years in the NE with those types of designs? Has anyone recommended and coating of paint on those lines? I'm seriously considering that now. Wow! That kind of scares me. What's Tesla opinion as far as maintaining it so you don't have similar issue in the future? Besides rinsing it every 15 minutes? SMH.

Wow! The reason I came looking for it is BC I was in the process of rotating my wheels last week, and I noticed that lip! I also noticed sand sitting there too!, even though I had JUST washed the car the day before and physically sprayed behind the wheel myself (apparently not a good job). Anyhow, my concern was that wire connector right there (red tab), and that's why I came here -- looking for answers as far as if should I seal wrap it with something before it rusted away?. (My Y is 6 months old and I'm thinking long term, but I feel like I have a bigger problem now! How is that car supposed to last 10 years in the NE with those types of designs? Has anyone recommended and coating of paint on those lines? I'm seriously considering that now. Wow! That kind of scares me. What's Tesla opinion as far as maintaining it so you don't have similar issue in the future? Besides rinsing it every 15 minutes? SMH.
The Peabody MA SC didn't have any suggestions except "deal with it and pay up". They said this is normal and reasonable since we live in NE and didn't seem to feel it was a problem with the design of the car. Especially when they can hit you with $3500 repair bill. So I asked them what a trade in would be and they basically doubled the repair cost estimate and took that off the already low ball trade in estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The Peabody MA SC didn't have any suggestions except "deal with it and pay up". They said this is normal and reasonable since we live in NE and didn't seem to feel it was a problem with the design of the car. Especially when they can hit you with $3500 repair bill. So I asked them what a trade in would be and they basically doubled the repair cost estimate and took that off the already low ball trade in estimate.
Yep- seems to be a pattern. I have been talking to some journalists about this issue of Teslas in winter climates and they would be interested in hearing what you have to say as well. DM me if interested. @ravejads.tmc @Hotwheelzz @Essar B

Here in Norway, road salt use is extreme, probably like some areas of Canada. A local company has developed a set of additional covers to install, that will cover this area, the big open rust trap area up front, and various other exposed places. They install it together with doing a treatment using Fluid Film products. It gets quite messy under the covers due to the Fluid Film, but *zero* corrosion issues. Re-treatment every two years to keep it effective. When that is done, they offer a lifetime warranty against rust damage. (not surface rust, which will at some points occur anyway)

Model 3/Y rust protection Check this here out to see what is done here. In Norwegian, but I guess you catch what it's about by watching the video anyway. :)

I'm gonna go ahead and buy that fluid film and apply next week. Might as well get ahead of it. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep us posted of any new development. Thanks!!