Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Knuckles 2021 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My back left tire was flat because it had a hole on the inside edge. I took the car to my mechanic. He said the hole was caused by excessive wear and not a puncture. I had all 4 tires replaced because the other tires also had excessive wear.

His summery was: “rear tires worn excessively on inside edge, inspected suspension and found both rear knuckles have play in upper spherical joint, recommend replacing both knuckles.”

He recommended I check with Tesla to see if they would replace the rear knuckles under warranty, but my warranty expired in December. Tesla said it would be $1400.00 to replace the knuckles and $275.00 for the alignment. I have read that Tesla has had issues with the knuckles on their cars. Has anyone been able to get them to replace them for free even though the warranty had expired?

My mechanic told me it's a known issue with Tesla Model Ys. It's a 2021 car, I don't think that's old. They even had a recall for the rear and front knuckles:

21V-912 / SB-21-31-004 Recall Summary​

The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate, leading to loss of vehicle control. This increases risk of an accident.

The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate. This would reduce vehicle stability and control, increasing risk of a crash. Tesla Service will inspect and replace the knuckles as needed free of charge to resolve the concern.

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles. The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate.

My mechanic told me it's a known issue with Tesla Model Ys. It's a 2021 car, I don't think that's old. They even had a recall for the rear and front knuckles:

21V-912 / SB-21-31-004 Recall Summary​

The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate, leading to loss of vehicle control. This increases risk of an accident.

The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate. This would reduce vehicle stability and control, increasing risk of a crash. Tesla Service will inspect and replace the knuckles as needed free of charge to resolve the concern.

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles. The front and rear suspension knuckles may fracture, causing the suspension links to separate.

I would consider out of warranty old. You are conflating the knuckle SB with spherical bearings, those two are not related. Was SB-21-31-004 completed on your vehicle? If not, you may be able to put pressure on Tesla. If it has been, you have no recourse.

They looked at mine and assured me everything was OK. But told me both rear shocks were leaking.... along with giving me a hefty estimate.
I bought an aftermarket suspension, and the tech installing it said the rear knuckles, and I quote, were "long gone".

I just have never really trusted Tesla Service to do the right thing under warranty.

They looked at mine and assured me everything was OK. But told me both rear shocks were leaking.... along with giving me a hefty estimate.
I bought an aftermarket suspension, and the tech installing it said the rear knuckles, and I quote, were "long gone".

I just have never really trusted Tesla Service to do the right thing under warranty.

That's so bad. But, given what I've seen from techs and service centers this is not abnormal.

Is this a refresh 21 ? When I upgraded my 22 w/ track package brakes, it also included update knuckles to fit the new calipers.

I sold the calipers and included the knuckles, but I don’t think the buyer would ever use the knuckles.

If you looking for knuckles, some track package guys may have knuckles laying around.

It’s not about the year but how many miles are on your suspension?

Any mechanic can change these out for you so I wouldn’t consider going to the service center if you’re out of warranty.

They come in sets so they’ll replace both and you have a fresh start with these components but just keep in mind there’s 7-8 other suspension components that wear and tear overtime so if you’re high mileage consider going ahead and replacing them all to better than OEM because labor is high changing pieces out individually.