Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP accelerated rear inner tire wear like MS Plaid - Texas example - check yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how aggressive folks are during a turn.

The way I see it, during a turn we know vehicles like to lean outward and that’s part of the reason there’s negative camber. But as the outside wheel evens out with the ground the inside wheel gets even more angled to the ground.

Factor in just how absurdly easy it is to apply a ton of torque to the wheels at any instant due to the electric motor, I’d guess thats a big part of why the tires wear out like that for some folks.

It's a 4500lb car that doesn't come aligned from the factory. Most people throttling through a corner are going to wear out their front tires when the car understeers, not their rears.

I need to look closely at the Michelin rears on my Performance Y. If they can be swapped on the wheels left to right, Right rear tire onto left rear wheel which keeps the rotation the same but should switch the high wear inside to outside of each tread. At about 7K miles. I think I am going to do it unless Michelin actually has an inside and outside marker in addition to rotation.

You will need to find an indy that will do it for you, franchised shops won't touch your ask with a ten foot pole.

I suggest YOU think about what you wrote instead.

You should look up their definition in regards to tires, before telling people to think about what they wrote.

Or maybe you're too lazy. These are from actual tire makers, not random forum sites.

When's the last time you've mounted and balanced tires? Discount Tire doesn't count.

It's a 4500lb car that doesn't come aligned from the factory. Most people throttling through a corner are going to wear out their front tires when the car understeers, not their rears.

In autocross, there's something call "dog legging" where they turn hard enough to lift the back rear wheel. Now, imagine that this wheel is getting all the power from the motor because it has minimal to no traction left. You don't have to throttle that much in this situation to spin that one rear wheel.

In autocross, there's something call "dog legging" where they turn hard enough to lift the back rear wheel. Now, imagine that this wheel is getting all the power from the motor because it has minimal to no traction left. You don't have to throttle that much in this situation to spin that one rear wheel.

That's not happening on the street.

When's the last time you've mounted and balanced tires? Discount Tire doesn't count.
Technically, I mounted a pair of tires about 10 years ago for a scooter. None for a car. But I'm guessing that's still more than you.

Not that it matters. I gave you links to actual tire makers.

That's not happening on the street.
It happens all the time, just not to the extreme of auto crossing. Just making a turn shifts the weight, you can't argue with physics. The question is if you can apply enough torque to the wheel to cause the wear this quickly.

That being said, it's pretty obvious, you're not very informed or trolling, so I'm done talking to you. And blocking you for good measure. buh-bye

The billion deg of rear toe in, set so the owners that throttle all the time regardless of how driving works don’t die, is going to murk the rear inners like no body’s business.

While scrubbbbbbbing the fronts from all that puuuushhhhhh

You will need to find an indy that will do it for you, franchised shops won't touch your ask with a ten foot pole.
Got that covered Will do it myself After a tire shop lifted my one ton diesel truck on the running boards I bought my own equipment. Don't Trust a lot of shops

I need to look closer at those Michelins

If the Michelins aren't directional everyone would just swap tire and wheel left to right.
They are marked outside. I'll be dipped

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_031354159.jpg
    PXL_20230907_031354159.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230907_193432410.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193432410.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230907_230356074.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230907_230356074.MP.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
Got that covered Will do it myself After a tire shop lifted my one ton diesel truck on the running boards I bought my own equipment. Don't Trust a lot of shops

I need to look closer at those Michelins

If the Michelins aren't directional everyone would just swap tire and wheel left to right.
They are marked outside. I'll be dipped

Lol, you're good then. I had a crappy Derek Weaver for Spec Miata tires and have since upgraded to an assisted mounting machine. I have a set of 4S at the shop, I'll double check for you when I'm there this week.

Lol, you're good then. I had a crappy Derek Weaver for Spec Miata tires and have since upgraded to an assisted mounting machine. I have a set of 4S at the shop, I'll double check for you when I'm there this week.
Thanks , the 3rd pic I added shows the "Outside" cast into the sidewall.

Wondering if it is only there so the little bit of rim protector rib is to the Curb side to slightly reduce scraping them up and nothing to do with how the tire performs?

Wondering if it is only there so the little bit of rim protector rib is to the Curb side to slightly reduce scraping them up and nothing to do with how the tire performs?
No. It was engineered to roll in that direction.
Steel belting and whatnot…
It has literally nothing to do with the silly, “I can’t park”, extra rubber.

I had something posted, but I think this explains it better.

Might want also watch the whole thing too.

I had something posted, but I think this explains it better.

Might want also watch the whole thing too.
Well I guess that is It then. No options other than adjustable camber links, which isn't happening unless I lift the Y someday.

I will run the car hard cornering sometimes to keep the wear somewhat consistent, since just driving in a straight line all the time will wear the inner edges out quicker due to the stock negative camber.
I suppose somewhere Michelin actually states that the stock Pilot tires are both one direction only in addition to being installed with outside outside.

Something Else occurred to me , That means ordering a new "Pair" of replacements means one each of a Left and right Pilot sport.
On the Other Hand It is an AWESOME car all around. :)

Thanks for the Video lots of Good info.

Last edited:
Well I guess that is It then. No options other than adjustable camber links, which isn't happening unless I lift the Y someday.

I will run the car hard cornering sometimes to keep the wear somewhat consistent, since just driving in a straight line all the time will wear the inner edges out quicker due to the stock negative camber.
I suppose somewhere Michelin actually states that the stock Pilot tires are both one direction only in addition to being installed with outside outside.

Something Else occurred to me , That means ordering a new "Pair" of replacements means one each of a Left and right Pilot sport.

Is your car stock? You should't need aftermarket camber arms.

I did a quick check after installing my Ohlins kit and those numbers are totally reasonable.

Eh, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse... but are you sure they're directional? The Michelin PSAS4 that came with my MYP isn't. I haven't seen the summer/EV versions in person, but nothing I've seen online indicates they're directional either.

So if you have the factory tires, they shouldn't be directional.

Reactions: 455dan
Eh, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse... but are you sure they're directional? The Michelin PSAS4 that came with my MYP isn't. I haven't seen the summer/EV versions in person, but nothing I've seen online indicates they're directional either.

So if you have the factory tires, they shouldn't be directional.
Heck I am more confused now than my first post in this thread, LOL
Buckets of fun above was the member that said these Pilot Sports were directional.

When I pulled the Ubers off and looked at the tread I could see that the inside is wearing a bit quicker than the outside and since having the means to swap whatever is needed... just thought I would try and maximize my expensive Michelins life expectancy.

Is your car stock? You should't need aftermarket camber arms.

I did a quick check after installing my Ohlins kit and those numbers are totally reasonable.
Yep dead stock 23 MYP I am running the Enkei 18's and Nokian Nordman studded snows ( Which are directional and marked as such) till spring when the Ubers go back on.

Just want to minimize the likelihood of Tires looking like:

Last edited: