Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Wheel drive on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are seriously not complaining about All wheel drive, if you bought a model Y Performance that comes with summer tires and still driving around on those in the snow... are you?

If so, then you have your answer (summer tires are not supposed to be driven on the snow, PERIOD). If your car is a Model Y Performance, on summer tires, I am probably going to delete this thread as its not relevant to anything.
Whet? He said MYLR.

It is spitting up some serious errors.
Tesla acknowledged that these weren't normal when they asked you to do a reboot.
If those errors keep occuring you need to take it in to the service centre - Its very dangerous.

Just FYI - In some parts of the world it is not normal to swap Summer/Winter tires.
They likely have All Season tires installed.
I gather in the UK its not that common to have another set of tires. Some other parts of Europe it apparently is.
Cut the OP some slack on that particular issue.

Here in NZ (and we do get ice and snow in the South during the winter - and we do have mountains) they are actually NOT generally recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
It is spitting up some serious errors.
Tesla acknowledged that these weren't normal when they asked you to do a reboot.
If those errors keep occuring you need to take it in to the service centre - Its very dangerous.

Just FYI - In some parts of the world it is not normal to swap Summer/Winter tires.
They likely have All Season tires installed.
I gather in the UK its not that common to have another set of tires. Some other parts of Europe it apparently is.
Cut the OP some slack on that particular issue.

Here in NZ (and we do get ice and snow in the South during the winter - and we do have mountains) they are actually NOT generally recommended.
Sorry… I had to stop reading your link when I got to this point, “So does that mean you should be making the switch to winter tyres? The short answer is no. Winter tyres (aka snow tyres) provide far less grip when the conditions are less than arctic.”

Uhhhhh… no. Tread compounds/tyres are engineered for temperature ranges. A summer version doesn’t have the same grip as a winter, in the lower temps. Just like a winter doesn’t have grip as a summer, in the higher ones. Decent example is that most 200tw summer tires aren’t advised to be on a vehicle near 45-40F.

OP said summer tyres, maybe a set of all seasons may work, but with snow… why not buy what’s designed for it?

The hard steering and amount of codes clues you into an abs sensor issue. Like a Subaru, if the abs isn’t working, you’re only going to spin one wheel (or in this case one wheel per drive unit). Fixing that sub100$ part may solve all problems, in that the car will do all heavy lifting and mask a crap set of tyres.

I know I brought it up, but the OP really needs to check/confirm. Is the car a MYLR? Are the tires actually summer tires?

OP said MYLR in first post but later said had summer tires.

I couldn’t really find any source to indicate MYLRs have summer tires as a factory option. TSportLine only really mentions MYPs getting summer tires as an alternative to all seasons. It’s an online shop, so I won’t say it’s definitive, only that it’s about all I could really find, aside from forum posts.

And even if the OP did have AS tires, it’s too easy to overwhelm them on icy inclines. I mean I feel my MYP (on AS tires) slide occasionally on flat surfaces with barely any ice/snow when I’m actually driving moderately (usually don’t).

But at the same time, when I first asked if they had summer tires, it was because there’s nothing stopping people from switching tires on the own, even from day one. And of course, that’s independent of having any particular trim (or even make/model).

OP should also drive for a bit in flat areas to confirm the errors stick. Otherwise, if it’s just from the constant spinning, I would say going to a service center won’t help.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
shopping
OP should also drive for a bit in flat areas to confirm the errors stick. Otherwise, if it’s just from the constant spinning, I would say going to a service center won’t help.
Absolutely not. Driving it around without working awd, working steering, in the snow, on summers, ain’t worth it.

Steering being rock hard(read: difficult to use) is the clue that the ABS sensor is gone. Plenty of us have experienced this at speed, in the dry.

The likely cause of this is/was: snow caked up, heat turned to ice, ice froze, ice ripped abs line off the knuckle/spindle at or near the upper control arm. OP can confirm this by turning the front wheels side to side while parked or shoving a camera phone in there recording on video mode, aiming at the big ole aluminum upright’s tiny black wire as seen in the pic. *blame mobile for why the pic is within the quote. Pic is of LH knuckle *

I couldn’t really find any source to indicate MYLRs have summer tires as a factory option.
I know the Continentals that come on the 19" Gemini wheels are all season....

"Continental's Conti ProContact RX tires come branded with an M+S symbol, which stands for Mud and Snow. This means they can handle all weather conditions, so no matter what weather you find yourself in, the Conti ProContact RX can handle it."

Tesla-tire.jpg

Absolutely not. Driving it around without working awd, working steering, in the snow, on summers, ain’t worth it.

Steering being rock hard(read: difficult to use) is the clue that the ABS sensor is gone. Plenty of us have experienced this at speed, in the dry.

The likely cause of this is/was: snow caked up, heat turned to ice, ice froze, ice ripped abs line off the knuckle/spindle at or near the upper control arm. OP can confirm this by turning the front wheels side to side while parked or shoving a camera phone in there recording on video mode, aiming at the big ole aluminum upright’s tiny black wire as seen in the pic. *blame mobile for why the pic is within the quote. Pic is of LH knuckle *
The thing is, all the messages say they might be restored on next drive. It’s definitely a software lock. Whether or not there’s an actual hardware issue is the question.

I know the Continentals that come on the 19" Gemini wheels are all season....

"Continental's Conti ProContact RX tires come branded with an M+S symbol, which stands for Mud and Snow. This means they can handle all weather conditions, so no matter what weather you find yourself in, the Conti ProContact RX can handle it."

Tesla-tire.jpg

Well, thats… I’ve never used winter or summers tires in the 3 decades I’ve been driving. But at the same time, I readily admit that AS tires have their limitations. It’s just knowing how much a person can handle as a driver and when to say “nope, too much for me, staying home.” I refused to go outside yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
We've been driving Volvos for the past 20 years (XC70, XC60 and XC90) here in Colorado and all of them perform differently in the snow due to difference in AWD systems, weight, engine tuning, etc. XC70 from 2004 being the best probably because of the low center of gravity. We finally had first good snow at Denver level and I took our 2023 MYLR for a spin - it performed very well, better than our 2018 XC90. Excellent recovery from deliberate tailspin when cornering, overall great road traction, feeling safe driving the car in winter conditions. I have snow tires installed on it (Tesla 19" winter tire set). Something tells me that your electronics isn't performing well. I would take it to the SC if I were you.