Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Alignment & Anxiety-Triggering-Angles on the Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One extra question for you guys:

Say the alignment is done properly, but instead of the steering wheel being off-center to the right, as when I first got the MYP, post-repair, it's now very, slightly off center to the left.

If the alignment is proper, but it's still off-center, is that a big deal, or is it alright to brush it off at this point?

You can have a car aligned straight as an arrow but have a steering wheel way off. This can be set adjusted by the toe arms.

You can have a car aligned straight as an arrow but have a steering wheel way off. This can be set adjusted by the toe arms.
Ah, leaning not on my own understanding --- the alignment could technically be correct now, hypothetically speaking, but the steering wheel could still be off? Aside from the aesthetic and the slight off balance triggering my anxiety, would it cause any actual issue for the vehicle?

Ah, leaning not on my own understanding --- the alignment could technically be correct now, hypothetically speaking, but the steering wheel could still be off? Aside from the aesthetic and the slight off balance triggering my anxiety, would it cause any actual issue for the vehicle?
Yes that’s correct. Imagine the steering wheel can be removed and reinstalled in any orientation without changing your alignment. No issues

Reactions: mcsenerd and ACRei
Just an update:

I spoke with my service advisor who directed me towards an exceptionally knowledgable tech. The tech reviewed my alignment sheet. Resultantly, I'll be visiting the service center again. The tech said you were right, @fiehlsport , the camber on the front driver-side is far too negative. They're also re-evaluating the caster since there's a discrepancy for the left vs right. On autosteer, the steering wheel has a slight bias to the left (instead of the original right), so that's getting checked out too.

It's not ideal to have to go back twice. But to be honest the service advisor and the tech were great & accommodating; they are making this experience easy and pleasant.

Just an update:

I spoke with my service advisor who directed me towards an exceptionally knowledgable tech. The tech reviewed my alignment sheet. Resultantly, I'll be visiting the service center again. The tech said you were right, @fiehlsport , the camber on the front driver-side is far too negative. They're also re-evaluating the caster since there's a discrepancy for the left vs right. On autosteer, the steering wheel has a slight bias to the left (instead of the original right), so that's getting checked out too.

It's not ideal to have to go back twice. But to be honest the service advisor and the tech were great & accommodating; they are making this experience easy and pleasant.

Hopefully they are able to resolve this for you!

Reactions: ACRei
I showed up at the second appointment. A different service advisor greeted me. They called a lead tech to help us both. They went over my alignment sheet. We went for a test drive and they concluded everything was fine and within spec. I accepted it and moved on.

However, that afternoon, I got a call from my first service advisor and she didn't feel satisfied with just a test drive. She felt I needed a full evaluation and wanted my MYP back on the alignment machine. I highly respected the effort and tbh I appreciated her thoroughness because having the alignment redone would give me peace of mind.

Luckily, the service center is 10 min from my office so I went back a 3rd time. My first service advisor even gave me a loaner vehicle. From experience with my Model 3, I know service centers are more stringent with giving out uber credits or loaning another Tesla. The same knowledgeable tech that I spoke of in another post took over my service appointment and completed the alignment with the shop lead. The lead tech from the 2nd appointment did tell me that service center can't adjust the camber in the front. But the other tech knew it could still be adjusted. I need to grab my new alignment sheet and I'll post it here tomorrow, but long story short, the front left camber, formerly sitting at -1.30°, is now closer to the proper limits.

I know the service center gets a lock of negative attention. But I guess it's really about who helps you and also following up with the results.

Reactions: fiehlsport
I showed up at the second appointment. A different service advisor greeted me. They called a lead tech to help us both. They went over my alignment sheet. We went for a test drive and they concluded everything was fine and within spec. I accepted it and moved on.

However, that afternoon, I got a call from my first service advisor and she didn't feel satisfied with just a test drive. She felt I needed a full evaluation and wanted my MYP back on the alignment machine. I highly respected the effort and tbh I appreciated her thoroughness because having the alignment redone would give me peace of mind.

Luckily, the service center is 10 min from my office so I went back a 3rd time. My first service advisor even gave me a loaner vehicle. From experience with my Model 3, I know service centers are more stringent with giving out uber credits or loaning another Tesla. The same knowledgeable tech that I spoke of in another post took over my service appointment and completed the alignment with the shop lead. The lead tech from the 2nd appointment did tell me that service center can't adjust the camber in the front. But the other tech knew it could still be adjusted. I need to grab my new alignment sheet and I'll post it here tomorrow, but long story short, the front left camber, formerly sitting at -1.30°, is now closer to the proper limits.

I know the service center gets a lock of negative attention. But I guess it's really about who helps you and also following up with the results.

Sounds like the dealer experience everybody wishes they had!

Lucky!!

By any chance did they tell you how they got the camber closer to the correct spec?

Which SC is this?

They do not. Well, not entirely.

When I used to frequent the Walnut SC, they did offer loaners and Uber credits. However, now the company doesn't offer either unless it's an extenuating circumstance.