Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2022 Model S - Charging Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused about whether the Tesla Model S actually came with a J1772 Adapter?

Does the Tesla Supercharger use a J1772 plug to connect with the 2022 Model S?

And, as the CCS1 Combo Adapter is now available at the Tesla Store, is it literally two types of connections (meaning usable as a J1772 and CCS)? If so, would the CCS1 Combo preclude also buying a J1772?

Thanks for some clarification.

I am confused about whether the Tesla Model S actually came with a J1772 Adapter?

And, as the CCS1 Combo Adapter is now available at the Tesla Store, is it literally two types of connections (meaning usable as a J1772 and CCS)? If so, would the CCS1 Combo preclude also buying a J1772?

I understand the confusion.. J1772 is for home, level 2 charging. CCS is called the "Combo Charging System" because in the US CCS-1 consists of a J1772 on the top (relegated to communication/negotiation with the car) and DC fast charging pins on the bottom to facilitate the fast charge. In Europe, CCS-2 consists of their "slow" charger (called a Mennekes connector) with 2 DC pins on the bottom to fast charge.

Different combos for different folks :)

Reactions: GSP and Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
It is likely that new Teslas no longer include the J1772 adapter since the Mobile Connector is no longer included. The Tesla CCS adapter would be a good thing to have for fast charging when a Supercharger is not available. The J1772 adapter is a common but less useful connector for emergency slow (house-type) charging when no CCS or Supercharger charger is available. You can check PlugShare and Chargepoint to see what alternative connections to a Tesla Supercharger are available in the areas you travel.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
I understand the confusion.. J1772 is for home, level 2 charging. CCS is called the "Combo Charging System" because in the US CCS-1 consists of a J1772 on the top (relegated to communication/negotiation with the car) and DC fast charging pins on the bottom to facilitate the fast charge. In Europe, CCS-2 consists of their "slow" charger (called a Mennekes connector) with 2 DC pins on the bottom to fast charge.

Different combos for different folks :)
Thanks very much, @Shmoe. Last question: Can the CCS Combo 1 be used in place of the J1772 when that's necessary? (BTW, what is the actual Tesla Supercharger connection called?)

Upvote 0
It is likely that new Teslas no longer include the J1772 adapter since the Mobile Connector is no longer included. The Tesla CCS adapter would be a good thing to have for fast charging when a Supercharger is not available. The J1772 adapter is a common but less useful connector for emergency slow (house-type) charging when no CCS or Supercharger charger is available. You can check PlugShare and Chargepoint to see what alternative connections to a Tesla Supercharger are available in the areas you travel.
I always appreciate your help, @DerbyDave. Can the CCS Combo 1 be used in place of the J1772 when that's necessary? (BTW, what is the actual Tesla Supercharger connection called?)

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0

Yes, the J1772 adapter is included. You don't need it for superchargers. It is only for slow public chargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
I always use the Tesla Superchargers, which are high speed and do not require an adapter. The Tesla connector is proprietary, and the only car sold with that connection type. The type of connection is determined by the charge connector at the location you stop. Many have either a CCS or a J1772 connector. Some have multiple connection types available. Tesla will soon be installing CCS adapter connections to their Supercharger locations, so they will have both a Tesla and a CCS connector available.. For Speed of charging capabilities, Tesla connector is fastest, with CCS very close behind. Then you have J1772 and others. Your Tesla will require an adapter at any location that does not support the Tesla connection.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
I always use the Tesla Superchargers, which are high speed and do not require an adapter. The Tesla connector is proprietary, and the only car sold with that connection type. The type of connection is determined by the charge connector at the location you stop. Many have either a CCS or a J1772 connector. Some have multiple connection types available. Tesla will soon be installing CCS adapter connections to their Supercharger locations, so they will have both a Tesla and a CCS connector available.. For Speed of charging capabilities, Tesla connector is fastest, with CCS very close behind. Then you have J1772 and others. Your Tesla will require an adapter at any location that does not support the Tesla connection.
I understand. Thank you. To clarify the one remaining question: does the CCS Combo 1 Adapter actually include the J1772 connection (hence Combo) that can be used with the J1772 chargers.??

Upvote 0
does the CCS Combo 1 Adapter actually include the J1772 connection (hence Combo) that can be used with the J1772 chargers

It doesn't work. The required pins at the J1772 part of the CCS adapter are not populated for AC charging, just for communication. Several people on Reddit have tried plugging in at a Level 2 J1772 charger with their CCS adapter and it throws an error in the car.

Would be great if it did work, as we would be able to carry just 1 adapter instead of 2, for both AC and DC charging on non-Tesla charging stations.

Upvote 0
Check out the section about CCS that says that the CCS 1 Combo can be used with a J1772 connection. I have no idea if this is accurate but thought you'd find it interesting

Thanks for sharing!

The article mentions that, and I quote: "Thus, a vehicle with a CCS Combo 1 connector can hook up to J1772 chargers for AC charging, or for high-speed DC charging".

The key word there is connector.

The article is talking about the hardware installed in the vehicle. In other words, the connector is the part in which the charging station handle plugs into the car. What Tesla calls the "Charge Port". Vehicles fitted with CCS connectors, can indeed use the J1772 portion of it's CCS connector to charge at a Level 2 AC charger.

A good example of this is what the Porsche Taycan has (and other EV's like the fat e-tron). They have 2 connectors or Charge Ports. One on each side of the vehicle. One is a CCS Charge Port and the other is just a J1772 Charge Port. You can Level 2 AC charge on any of the 2 Charge Ports (the one that's the most convenient side to plug in to), but you can only DC Fast Charge on the side that has the CCS Charge Port.

Unlike the Tesla CCS adapter, the vehicle's connector has all the required pins for both AC/DC charging purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing!

The article mentions that, and I quote: "Thus, a vehicle with a CCS Combo 1 connector can hook up to J1772 chargers for AC charging, or for high-speed DC charging".

The key word there is connector.

The article is talking about the hardware installed in the vehicle. In other words, the connector is the part in which the charging station handle plugs into the car. What Tesla calls the "Charge Port". Vehicles fitted with CCS connectors, can indeed use the J1772 portion of it's CCS connector to charge at a Level 2 AC charger.

A good example of this is what the Porsche Taycan has (and other EV's like the fat e-tron). They have 2 connectors or Charge Ports. One on each side of the vehicle. One is a CCS Charge Port and the other is just a J1772 Charge Port. You can Level 2 AC charge on any of the 2 Charge Ports (the one that's the most convenient side to plug in to), but you can only DC Fast Charge on the side that has the CCS Charge Port.

Unlike the Tesla CCS adapter, the vehicle's connector has all the required pins for both AC/DC charging purposes.
So, this can get a bit convoluted if one does not know to distinguish between a Connector and Adapter. My 2022 Model S Software indicates compatibility with the Adapter. But so far the American Model S's don't have the Connector built in, right?

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
So, this can get a bit convoluted if one does not know to distinguish between a Connector and Adapter. My 2022 Model S Software indicates compatibility with the Adapter. But so far the American Model S's don't have the Connector built in, right?
Correct. You need to purchase the CCS adapter which Tesla just recently put online for purchase. It attaches to the CCS connector adapting the CCS unit a connection to your Tesla plug in the car. Photo is of a CCS adapter, but not a Tesla CCS adapter.

1665777256858.png

Upvote 0

That's right!

In other words, your US spec 2022 Tesla Model S has the best of both EV charging worlds... It can AC and DC charge at any Tesla Wall Connector and Tesla Supercharger respectively, and it can also AC charge at any J1772 charging station using the correct ADAPTER, and DC Fast Charge at any CCS charging station using the correct ADAPTER (pictured above).

Upvote 0
That's right!

In other words, your US spec 2022 Tesla Model S has the best of both EV charging worlds... It can AC and DC charge at any Tesla Wall Connector and Tesla Supercharger respectively, and it can also AC charge at any J1772 charging station using the correct ADAPTER, and DC Fast Charge at any CCS charging station using the correct ADAPTER (pictured above).
The caveat being that I cannot use the CCS1 Combo Adapter at a J1772 Charging Station, which is the issue that started my queries. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
The caveat being that I cannot use the CCS1 Combo Adapter at a J1772 Charging Station, which is the issue that started my queries. I appreciate your help.
Which at first seems like a strange omission, but then you realize if it is just a simple passive adapter, it would cause a short or potentially expose high voltage AC.

Upvote 0