Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS adapter for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MY got totaled and am getting ready to order a new MY, but wanted to go ahead and order the ccs adpater for roadtrips where superchargers are not available. Tesla store shows the CCS1 adapter, but it states availble for Model S and X?? Any idea why they arent selling for MY now? See below

CCS Combo 1 Adapter​

$175

This accessory requires a service retrofit (currently available for Model S and Model X). Schedule Service in the Tesla app.

Some Tesla Model 3, Model Y require a retrofit to be able to use the CCS Combo 1 Adapter. Perhaps Tesla still has you totaled Model Y associated with your account, that Model Y is not compatible without the retrofit.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true

Are you aware that just this past week Ford and GM have announced that starting in 2024/2025 they will be adopting the North America Charging Standard (NACS). Tesla's charging connector uses NACS. CCS 1 for the US market be more short lived than people know, could become the next US charging standard casualty along with CHAdeMO.

I would expect that similar third-party CCS Combo 1 adapters for Tesla vehicles sold on Amazon will continue to drop in price. (Some are already under $100.)

Some Tesla Model 3, Model Y require a retrofit to be able to use the CCS Combo 1 Adapter. Perhaps Tesla still has you totaled Model Y associated with your account, that Model Y is not compatible without the retrofit.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true

Are you aware that just this past week Ford and GM have announced that starting in 2024/2025 they will be adopting the North America Charging Standard (NACS). Tesla's charging connector uses NACS. CCS 1 for the US market be more short lived than people know, could become the next US charging standard casualty along with CHAdeMO.

I would expect that similar third-party CCS Combo 1 adapters for Tesla vehicles sold on Amazon will continue to drop in price. (Some are already under $100.)
NACS is def a better plug/experience. I just need an adapter for ccs until all the 3rd party chargers have NACS options. As far as the Tesla adapter, apparently they arent offering it for model y/3 now, which is weird. The shop use to show available, but needs a retrofit. Now it just says avail for model x/s

I think Tesla may be having a supply issues shortly so they are keeping it only for MS and MX as the installed base for both these cars is much smaller compared to M3 and MY. I guess this must be a temporary issue and it will be available for all models later on.

NACS is def a better plug/experience. I just need an adapter for ccs until all the 3rd party chargers have NACS options. As far as the Tesla adapter, apparently they arent offering it for model y/3 now, which is weird. The shop use to show available, but needs a retrofit. Now it just says avail for model x/s
I just checked and it lets me order one for my 2022 MY. I've already ordered one in the past but it is letting me order another. It says "This accessory is compatible with your Model Y". It also gives the price to order just the adapter and the price for the retrofit if that was needed (which it isn't for my car).

My 2021 MY got totaled and am getting ready to order a new MY, but wanted to go ahead and order the ccs adpater for roadtrips where superchargers are not available. Tesla store shows the CCS1 adapter, but it states availble for Model S and X?? Any idea why they arent selling for MY now? See below

CCS Combo 1 Adapter​

$175

This accessory requires a service retrofit (currently available for Model S and Model X). Schedule Service in the Tesla app.
I was under the impression that Ys that need tis adapter were manufactured for a fairly short time (sadly, my 2021 is included).

CCS Combo 1 Adapter​

$175

The Model S and Model X is referring to the _retrofit_, not the adapter.

A new Model Y wouldn't need a retrofit.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
in seven months, I used the CCS adapter once, want to buy one? just kidding, but maybe not in the future with the latest agreements
i would not buy one and wait for a trip where the destination will not have a Tesla charging place locally
for me it was southern VA and closest TSC was 25 min away from town where I was the entire time
i bought the adapter and used it at an EVGO location, terrible experience but I was desperate
good luck

My 2020 (Nov) MY works just fine with the adapter. No idea why a 2021 would not. Anyway, Tesla won't sell you one until you own a Tesla (they want to make sure your car is compatible). From the Tesla site:

"The CCS Combo 1 Adapter is compatible with most Tesla vehicles, though some vehicles may require additional hardware. Sign in to the Tesla app to check your vehicle's compatibility and schedule a Service retrofit if needed.

If a retrofit is required, the service visit will include installation at your preferred Tesla Service Center and one CCS Combo 1 Adapter.

Note: For Model 3 and Model Y vehicles requiring a retrofit, please check back in mid-2023 for availability."

Inserting Tesla adapter into a CCS-1 plug:

dipTb9B.jpg

Our MY at an Electrify America site (June 2021 AZ~Cape Cod trip)
ZTeYm6X.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Are the J1772 chargers usually free?
All of the ones I've used have been but some are subscription based and you have to join and pay to charge. I've never had the need and have made many trips over many thousands of miles. I also have a CCS adapter which I used once to confirm it works but never again. I recommend carrying the most common adapters for your mobile charger just in case (Airbnb, friends house, cabin, campground, etc...).

Are the J1772 chargers usually free?
Some are first come, first served and free to use while you dine or shop, i.e. for a few hours. Use the Plugshare app to locate public charging stations of all types close to your location.

Sometimes local government will install Level 2 charging stations that are free for public use. I found some free L2 charging stations close by the PBI airport one time.

My 2020 (Nov) MY works just fine with the adapter. No idea why a 2021 would not. Anyway, Tesla won't sell you one until you own a Tesla (they want to make sure your car is compatible). From the Tesla site:

"The CCS Combo 1 Adapter is compatible with most Tesla vehicles, though some vehicles may require additional hardware. Sign in to the Tesla app to check your vehicle's compatibility and schedule a Service retrofit if needed.

If a retrofit is required, the service visit will include installation at your preferred Tesla Service Center and one CCS Combo 1 Adapter.

Note: For Model 3 and Model Y vehicles requiring a retrofit, please check back in mid-2023 for availability."
The hardware was deleted sometime in 2021 then restored in later production. The Tesla app will tell you if your car needs the upgrade.

Went back and forth with Tesla about purchasing a CCS adapter. I had to set up a service call with them to order one as one is not offered for my MY. They said I need a retrofit but I sent a picture showing the car is Enabled for CCS charging. They finally said after reviewing I can order one online and use. My account still is not allowing me to purchase. How do go about getting one? I don't want to go through a 3rd party due to the risk involved if something happens.