Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging standards and bickering thereabout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CCS-2 doesn't do 3 phase AC, but the Type 2 Mennekes connector, which is the non-DC portion of the connector (i.e. the top part without the 2 DC pins), does.

So as far as NACS for DCFC to/from CCS-2 DCFC, there's no reason it can't be done, since the extra pins for 3-phase operation aren't relevant to a DC charging session.

And in fact, a NACS to Type 2 adapter is probably not that hard (probably been done before for grey market imports somewhere), you just won't get 3-phase AC charging support. However, there might some actual logic involved in converting between whatever Type 2 speaks and J1772 or whatever.
The problem with CCS2 is it's only three-phase which isn't available at many charging locations. Also it's only 208V rather than 240V so it charges slower. And of course it's harder to plug in. Denise has a hard time plugging in the J1772 in her Leaf--I have to plug it in for her about 10% of the time. CCS1 or 2 would be just about impossible for her (and I assume for many others as well). (And CCS1 was made so that European manufacturers couldn't sell in North America without changes. Standards exist mostly to protect the manufacturers in the country in which they are adopted.)
CCS2 DC fast charging is reliable and easy to plug in. DC charging supports up to 500A.

Home AC charging In NZ / AUS is normally just single phase, which is limited to 230V * 32A = 7.3kW.
For higher power AC charging, regulations require three phase. i.e. 230V * 16A 3PH = 11kW.
Having three phase installed is common, but typically adds a small metering surcharge.
I find the Tesla Wall Connector Menekies Plug easy to use.

In NZ, many supermarkets etc provide free three phase AC charging fitted with Menekies sockets.
You need to ‘bring your own’ charge cable.