Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that? With the old version, I was asked when I picked up my car. Since it's mandatory, I agreed and they mounted a nice looking "Tesla" licence plate holder to the front. I bet it's the same way now as before. But perhaps they all come with them and are removed from below (good eye @pixel4) when you pick up your car if you don't want it leaving no holes at all. But in the majority of states and provinces they are required so it creates less work to remove the ones not needed. That's just a guess, though.

People need to stop making categorical statements unless they know a fact for certain, or freaking out, unless there really is something to freak out about.

And in at least one of those mandatory front license plate states (CA), ten percent refuse to put a plate on the front of a good looking car. Ten percent. The lawmakers are too scared of the police radar users association or something, and won't touch the law, but the police don't seem to care at all. If they did, then they'd be pulling over every tenth car or so.

Even so, the law here says "affixed", so duct tape or velcro would be acceptable.

The only people that might ticket for no plate are parking lot enforcement.

And if less than the majority do not want a front plate, Tesla would err to put a plate holder on the front. Those that acquiesce can do what they have to.

It's anecdotal, but I've also heard that local police officers get chided by other officers for writing "no front plate" tickets, like that's the best they can do. So lots of LEOs don't bother, UNLESS you are pulled over for some other infraction. I've already had a couple of local LEOs notice and mention it to me, but never wrote a ticket.

Just for your enjoyment - in Japan the law says the front license plate should be firmly fixed to the car, which might mean that two screws under the bumper might not be enough.

However we have a great way to take advantage of front plates. In some parking lots the sensor reads the plate so if you are invited to the meeting, the gate automatically opens without tickets. Also in many shopping places, you can pay the parking fee at the automated pay station, and you don't need the paper ticket anymore as the exit gate opens automatically.

While we're talking about the front license plate... First of all, I'm from Germany so I am not so familiar with the laws here in the US.

So here's my question: I live in FL, where we don't have to have front license plate. What if I take my car on a road trip to let's say CA, where they do require license plates in the front. Can I get ticketed for it?

Please excuse my brief side tracking here...

They cannot enforce the state specific law that does not apply to you. But as far as moving violation and other such actions are obviously against the law. Front plate or the darkness of window tinting, not so much.

However I did have an experience with CHP when I was driving through Socal with AZ registered vehicle where they allow front tinting (>20% or something). CHP officer tried to give me *sugar* but hey I did not live in Cali and they could not write me a citation.

Because I was not a California resident who driving California registered vehicle.

Reactions: Alex D
The cops do look for evidence that someone is trying to register a car in another state to save on registration fees, but if you are just visiting another state skypeterpan is right, there isn't anything that can do about things like license plates.

Washington's car registration used to be a lot more expensive than Oregon and the cops were watching for people living in Washington with Oregon registered cars. The fee structure in Washington changed so it costs about the same in both states now. I know someone who collects Corvettes and he had a number of them registered in Texas and lived in Washington. They eventually caught him and he got nailed for a pretty big bill for back registration and penalties.

Just spotted a refreshed Model S on this trailer. Had license plate holder attached. Sorry couldn't grab a good photo. Was on the 405 headed south.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 230
DS says that it can be removed with 2 screws on the bottom and that it will be delivered with the holder installed (we'll have to remove ourselves after delivery). No holes after removed.

Surely the above puts "Plate-gate" to bed.

Also, pretty clear from the below photo the holder is a separate piece to the front bumper.
Just make sure you remove it straight away so it doesn't rub on the paint.

gqabGgl.jpg

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Does anyone know what phone connector comes with the now standard front console? There used to be a choice when ordering before....
When I took delivery of my X (with the same console), it included a bag with Android and iPhone Lightning adapters. It also had rails. My Service Center didn't ask to install, but I'm handy enough - it's not hard to do. Route a cable, plug a USB adapter in, adjust size to fit your phone, then tighten the screws. There's a rubber cap that covers everything.

From the side view, the 2016 Refresh S has the rocker panels painted the same color as the car body. (certainly an area that will NEED protective chip guard film).

The rear is much more difficult but again the rear bumper area near the diffuser is likewise painted the same color as the car body (the area where the two red reflectors are located). It is no longer black trim.
Also the chrome strip above the diffuser, which was present on Premium Upgrade cars, appears to have been dropped. On Model S without Premium Upgrade, this trim piece was present but flat black.

Hope this helps?