Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21" tires do look nice, but:

They are more expensive to buy when you first buy the car
They wear out more quickly
They ride more roughly
They hurt range
They add unsprung weight
They are more susceptible to pothole damage
They are more susceptible to curb damage
The tires are more expensive to replace
The wheels are more expensive to replace

I wonder how the respective handling would be using that same exact tires in both sizes?

Actually if you want a P85+ you have to get PS2 21", and they actually IMPROVE range per Tesla site (range improves 6-12 miles over standard 21").

Yes, but I have an "old" P85 with 19" wheels (even though I could have had the 21" wheels as part of the old P85 package). Quite a few people choose 19" wheels for one of my reasons above.

...and the rest of chose 21" because they are cool and look amazing (or bought a P85+) --LOL! :biggrin:

But answering the original OP, 12K is normal'ish for 21" tires..

Last edited:
I would have bought 19s, but I had to get a +.

honestly there probably should have been a middle ground (a.k.a. 20" tires) that would have given everyone a better choice between practical and absurd. There's got to be some 20" tires out there that wear close to the 19s but will still give the grip and looks of the 21s...

Better than the UTQG 50 on some R compound tires :)

hah, true.

I am sitting around 28-29k miles on the car after 10 months...

Half of that was on 19" and the other half on my original 21". I have not measured the remaining tread, but the DW indicators are still completely visible.

Camber has not caused any noticeable issues and I drive the car pretty hard.

Just lucky?

> Combo of toe and the air suspension. [AlMc]

You raise an interesting point: To fully lower suspension while on alignment rig is not possible since car must be going 55 mph. This lowest position has the highest neg camber of all. Hmmm.
--

Yes, but there is no reason to. You set toe in to the absolute minimum at Standard and you are assured of good toe in Standard and Low. WRT camber, there is nothing you can do about it (in the way of factory adjustment) so there is no need to measure it in Low unless you just want to bum yourself out.

So I just picked up my car from Queens for it's first service at 23k miles. Tire measurements (19"), front: 7/32", rear: 8/32". (that coincides with my own measurements I took before I dropped it off). This tread wear is lasting better than expected for Goodyears. By extrapolating out, this set should last me about 55-60k miles before needing replacement.

It is also worth mentioning that they said most 21s they see need replacement at 5k miles due to inside wear. They also have a LOT of blowouts come through there (not surprising given NY/NYC roads). They did note that one guy came through with 10k miles on his 21s and did not have inside wear (as if he was the "oddball" of the group...by having unusually high mileage on the 21s without needing replacement yet). But they continued to mention several times that the 21s are REALLY bad and that a majority of them needed replacement at 5k. That's really low. They said my choice of giving up the free 21s for 19s "was a very smart decision". Why thank you, I like to consider myself semi-intelligent :) :p

They said my choice of giving up the free 21s for 19s "was a very smart decision". Why thank you, I like to consider myself semi-intelligent :) :p

Some of us didn't get that option. :-(

I'm in the process of buying a winter wheel+tire setup (mostly for cold temps...we don't get much snow here any more) and I'm definitely not going with 21" wheels. And I may just replace my stock 21" wheels next year for something smaller for summer driving, too.

Is that good or bad?

0.212" = 5.4 mm
0.220" = 5.6 mm

Wear bars = 1.6 mm
Original tread depth = 9 mm ??
Useable tread depth = 7.4 mm (9 - 1.6)
Useable remaining tread = 4.0 mm to 3.8 mm (5.6 - 1.6 and 5.4 - 1.6)
Percentage of tread remaining. 51% at the lowest point. 54% at the highest point. (3.8 / 7.4 and 4.0 / 7.4)

This assumes the measurement was not taken on the wear bars.

Good or bad depends on whether or not 3% difference in tread depth from side to side is significantly better than the previous difference. However, it appears as if someone has been having a lot of fun with their Model S.

I just checked the rears on my P85+ lowered a 1/2 inch with camber links. The inner most groove was 0.212" while the outer most groove was 0.220". In short, wear is within my ability to measure it at 2400 miles.

0.212" = 5.4 mm
0.220" = 5.6 mm

Wear bars = 1.6 mm
Original tread depth = 9 mm ??
Useable tread depth = 7.4 mm (9 - 1.6)
Useable remaining tread = 4.0 mm to 3.8 mm (5.6 - 1.6 and 5.4 - 1.6)
Percentage of tread remaining. 51% at the lowest point. 54% at the highest point. (3.8 / 7.4 and 4.0 / 7.4)

This assumes the measurement was not taken on the wear bars.

Good or bad depends on whether or not 3% difference in tread depth from side to side is significantly better than the previous difference. However, it appears as if someone has been having a lot of fun with their Model S.

50% tread used in 2400 miles...so basically this set of tires will last 4800 miles before they need to be replaced? How is that any better?

50% tread used in 2400 miles...so basically this set of tires will last 4800 miles before they need to be replaced? How is that any better?

That's what the "it appears as if someone has been having a lot of fun" is about. A couple of hours on the track with new tires will reduce the tread depth significantly. Also the rate of wear slows as the tread depth decreases. In some cases you can get 1/3 of the tread life in the last 2 mm (not saying that will happen here).