Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘22 Plaid tire wear update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would throw in a data point on tire wear. 2022 Plaid, 15,286 miles. Mostly a daily commuter, putting on ~40 miles per day during the week, with 4 road trips (2X HOU - AUS and 2X HOU-DAL). Not a super aggressive driver but I usually do 5-10 above speed limit depending on traffic situation. Stock 20” Continentals. Factory alignment. No suspension mods. Usually ride in Sport setting and I let the car manage the ride height.

Fronts are at 6/32” across the board. (both sides)
Rears are 7/32” at the outside 3/4 of tread with the inside at 6/32”. (Both sides)

A little feathering on the rear inside edges and it shows slightly more wear, but nothing I have not seen on cars that ride low.

Pretty happy with the progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpeg
    IMG_6110.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6111.jpeg
    IMG_6111.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 110
Just thought I would throw in a data point on tire wear. 2022 Plaid, 15,286 miles. Mostly a daily commuter, putting on ~40 miles per day during the week, with 4 road trips (2X HOU - AUS and 2X HOU-DAL). Not a super aggressive driver but I usually do 5-10 above speed limit depending on traffic situation. Stock 20” Continentals. Factory alignment. No suspension mods. Usually ride in Sport setting and I let the car manage the ride height.

Fronts are at 6/32” across the board. (both sides)
Rears are 7/32” at the outside 3/4 of tread with the inside at 6/32”. (Both sides)

A little feathering on the rear inside edges and it shows slightly more wear, but nothing I have not seen on cars that ride low.

Pretty happy with the progress so far.
Thanks for the update. This is helpful to see. I saw some people mentioning 10k and tires needing replacing. Wonder how hard they drove or if there were other issues.

Thanks for the update. This is helpful to see. I saw some people mentioning 10k and tires needing replacing. Wonder how hard they drove or if there were other issues.

Tesla doesn't align from the factory. It's pure luck. I aligned my car without any aftermarket corrections and rotate every 5k miles. At 17k I remounted the tires (flipped them) and expect to see around 30k total before having to replace.

Tesla doesn't align from the factory. It's pure luck. I aligned my car without any aftermarket corrections and rotate every 5k miles. At 17k I remounted the tires (flipped them) and expect to see around 30k total before having to replace.
The wheels don't come aligned when new? I had no idea. Wow. Did you bring your car to a Tesla dealer to have the alignment done, or some other place?

The wheels don't come aligned when new? I had no idea. Wow. Did you bring your car to a Tesla dealer to have the alignment done, or some other place?

Why align it when it'll be the customer's problem?

Funny story about Tesla...they replaced some suspension parts under warranty and did not align the car. After picking it up, I noticed it couldn't track straight. I immediately brought the car back and communicated my observations. They told me, and I quote, "Alignments are not part of the repair work". After I escalated, because my car WAS correctly aligned, they "good willed" an alignment.

That was the only time I had Tesla align the car. I do my own alignments, time permitting.

I just checked with my Rockville, MD dealer, and was assured that the cars do undergo a four-wheel alignment before they're delivered. I've had no tracking issues, and my tire wear seems good... although I only have 3500 miles on it. Seems there's some disparity in messaging.

I just checked with my Rockville, MD dealer, and was assured that the cars do undergo a four-wheel alignment before they're delivered. I've had no tracking issues, and my tire wear seems good... although I only have 3500 miles on it. Seems there's some disparity in messaging.

Tesla service will tell you the Earth is flat one day and round another.

Reactions: Khashoggi
You don't align the wheels, you align the suspension. Don't use Tesla for your alignments, get a lifetime alignment from Firestone for the same price as a single alignment (from Tesla). You can usually find a coupon for $20 off online

Reactions: misc3r
Look at mine at 26K. Any issues like mine on the inner wheel wells?

my suspension lowers just on one wheel causing damaged to the inner wheel wheel and wiringView attachment 978062 harness.

View attachment 978063
This is normal. The front left will sit a wee bit lower because of you in it.

Wearing though harnesses is NOT normal though and the harness should be routed away from wheels/tires and suspension components.