Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Cost > Electricity Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like most, I'm concerned about efficiency and the cost of operation, with little attention paid to the running cost of tires. I recently checked the tread depth on our 2022 MYLR and was shocked to find that the rear tires are down to 5/32"-6/32" in only 8,500 miles. At this rate, I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of them. The front are running approximately 7/32" and, obviously, a tire rotation is needed.
"Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first."

They will probably wear less if you rotate them a bit under the recommended interval, not thousands of miles over.

"Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first."

They will probably wear less if you rotate them a bit under the recommended interval, not thousands of miles over.
The whole point of tire rotation is to even out the wear so that all the tires are worn out at replacement time. Frequent tire rotation makes it easier to achieve that objective. What you don't want is to end up with 2/16" on the rear and 5/16" on the front. That's leaving a lot of money on the table..

Growing up, I never even heard of tire rotations - we just drove until the tires on the drive wheels were slick then purchased two new tires. About the only time anyone purchased four new tires is when the other two happened to be slick at the same time or maybe you decided to "upgrade" to sporty raised white letter tires from blackwall or whitewall tires.

I also drank out of water hose and lived long enough to own a self-driving car. :)

Our 2020 MY ate the original tires so I looked for something that is quiet, has good ratings and most importantly, very long tread life. Put these on last year and must say they are doing extremely well with very little wear so far. UTQG numbers are no where near accurate so we will see how well they fair long term.

Reactions: Noflash
I recently checked the tread depth on our 2022 MYLR and was shocked to find that the rear tires are down to 5/32"-6/32" in only 8,500 miles.

The whole point of tire rotation is to even out the wear so that all the tires are worn out at replacement time. Frequent tire rotation makes it easier to achieve that objective. What you don't want is to end up with 2/16" on the rear and 5/16" on the front. That's leaving a lot of money on the table..
Right.... so if you know this, why didn't you follow your own advice?

Right.... so if you know this, why didn't you follow your own advice?
I was not offering advice. Saying that "Frequent tire rotation makes it easier to achieve that objective." is a simple statement that holds true for many owners. If you rotate the tires very 5,000 mile and all the tires are worn out at 30,000 miles and I rotate the tires once at 15,000 miles, the end result is the same. The expense (and time) involved must be weighed against the benefits.

Our 2020 MY ate the original tires so I looked for something that is quiet, has good ratings and most importantly, very long tread life. Put these on last year and must say they are doing extremely well with very little wear so far. UTQG numbers are no where near accurate so we will see how well they fair long term.
I'm running Bridgestone Ecopia EP422+ on our Chevy Volt and the high tread life numbers proved to be real. The specs on the Bridgestone Turanzas that you're running are impressive, but the tire weighs 32lbs, which is 5lbs more than OEM. I've always tried to keep unsprung weight as low as possible, but maybe I'm overthinking things. Thanks for the input.

Growing up, I never even heard of tire rotations - we just drove until the tires on the drive wheels were slick then purchased two new tires. About the only time anyone purchased four new tires is when the other two happened to be slick at the same time or maybe you decided to "upgrade" to sporty raised white letter tires from blackwall or whitewall tires.

I also drank out of water hose and lived long enough to own a self-driving car. :)
^this

you cant even rotate on the performance Y ... the LR Y is back wheel biased you could probably treat it the same as the performance Y and only buy 2 new tires when needed

Nobody says you must rotate tires. It is done to even out the wear pattern and increase longevity of the tire. If one has staggered and directional tires it cannot be done unless the tires are unmounted, mounted and balanced which is not worth the cost. If one is swapping from winter tires to summer tires it's a no brainer.

I still drink water from a hose by the way. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
As simple as a tire rotation is, and the opportunity to check balance and have tires inspected it's just stupid not to do it.

You can ignore good practices and that's everyone's choice. Knowing that and not doing it doesn't make you smart.
It makes you stupid, or just busy and car maintenance as a very low priority, below throwing away money.
But it's common to put it off. Life gets busy.

• Disagree
I was not offering advice. Saying that "Frequent tire rotation makes it easier to achieve that objective." is a simple statement that holds true for many owners. If you rotate the tires very 5,000 mile and all the tires are worn out at 30,000 miles and I rotate the tires once at 15,000 miles, the end result is the same. The expense (and time) involved must be weighed against the benefits.
Okay, so what was the whole point being shocked and starting this thread then? You already know why it occurred and how to mitigate it. I posted Tesla's tire rotation schedule. As you said, don't "leave a lot of money on the table." And you also said "At this rate, I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles"....so the end result is not the same. You'll be on threads on the rears and wanting to change out all the tires even if the front has a good bit of meat left. I'm rotating every 5K myself, at home.
Nobody says you must rotate tires. It is done to even out the wear pattern and increase longevity of the tire. If one has staggered and directional tires it cannot be done unless the tires are unmounted, mounted and balanced which is not worth the cost. If one is swapping from winter tires to summer tires it's a no brainer.

I still drink water from a hose by the way. ;)
This was the biggest reason why I went with the LR. Not being able to rotate and the expensive staggered tires. Of course, no tax credit for cars over $55 (at the time) didn't help either.

Last edited:
I have Amazon boxes showing up multiple times a week for a decade and I did not know you could order tires from Amazon. Wowza.
I was also surprised, I have used Tirerack in the past and they were not close in price. Had these tires shipped to a local tire shop, they mounted and balanced. simple. So far, they are quieter than the Continentals, have not noticed any decrease in battery consumption.

• Informative
I have a 2020 MY LR, still on the original tires at 40k miles with a bit left to go. Tesla recommended I not rotate the tires since they are wearing evenly, I insisted the first time but took their advice the second time. I am a spirited driver and love the acceleration, FWIW. The BMW I traded in got about 20k miles on a set due to a real aggressive camber that couldn't be adjusted out, and their runflat tires cost more than new EV tires.

TireRack.com shows the 19" OE tires start with 9/32". I am ASSuming they have the 19" tires since the 20" tires are Goodyears instead of Continentals.

The 20" tires start with 8/32". At my first tire rotation on my 23 MYLR, I was still 8/32" on the front and 7/32" on the rear. Despite having AB, I drive in Chill Mode 99.999% of the time.

Because EVs are so quiet and smooth when accelerating, it can be hard to judge the amount of torque-induced tire wear that is occurring. I find it's easy to think I'm driving gently, yet I still pull ahead of other traffic.
I definitely have this problem. Acceleration is so fast and easy, I always feel like Han Solo doing the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs...lol! I'm praying my Scorpion MS's will last long.

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
As simple as a tire rotation is, and the opportunity to check balance and have tires inspected it's just stupid not to do it.

You can ignore good practices and that's everyone's choice. Knowing that and not doing it doesn't make you smart.
It makes you stupid, or just busy and car maintenance as a very low priority, below throwing away money.
LOL - did you seriously just search for my recent posts and give them all thumbs down because I disagreed with you calling people "stupid"? I guess I hit a nerve and you wanted to teach me a lesson? Can't take disagreement? It could happen on the internet you know. I hope you don't thumbs down this post. I have feelings.

LOL - did you seriously just search for my recent posts and give them all thumbs down because I disagreed with you calling people "stupid"? I guess I hit a nerve and you wanted to teach me a lesson? Can't take disagreement? It could happen on the internet you know. I hope you don't thumbs down this post. I have feelings.
or just busy and car maintenance as a very low priority, below throwing away money.

guess reading comprehension isn't your forte

Last edited:
  • Funny