Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car, 4,000 miles, replace one tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a nail near the firewall, need a new tire (Continental ProContact 255/45 R19 104W). Discount Tire recommends I replace both front tires.
Only 4K miles on the car. Haven't checked thread depth yet.
My understanding of the need to replace two (or all) tires is that as the tire wears, it gets smaller, so
now you've got two wheels on one axle that are rotating at slightly different speeds, which can cause stress to drive components.
But after some research, it would seem that Tesla's open differential would not really be affected by this.

Would you guys but just 1 tire, or 2 or 4 at this point?

Thanks for your input,
Mike
2023 MYLR

You should measure the thread of all the tires and compare with a new tire,
because after only 4k miles they might be almost like new, not really justifying getting two tires replaced,
unless you have a great diffference of wear between your tires and a new one.

You didn't mentionned which axial you got a flat, but if you get a flat on the rear, since the front tires get less wear
then one of the front tires could be use on the rear axial conjointly with a new rear tire.

If you get a flat on the front, the front axial is rarely energized,
so I don't think there will be too much of an issue to have a new tire with an older (4k miles) tire.

If you are very puzzle about the need or not to get one ore two tires to be replaced, I would replace first one tire,
then I will go to a large empty parking lot, or a not very buzy street, and make a mark with a chalk or a piece of tape
on each wheel, and move the car a few hundred of feet and compare the mark position between the tires to see
if there is a noticeable difference of position.

Here is the type of gaugue that I am using: Preciva LCD Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge

Note: I you really have to get two new tires, keep the not damaged one and get a used rim to make it as a spare.

My previous car has a regular size spare tire, so I was rotating my tires using five tires. I never read at that time
that using my brand new spare tire conjointly with a 7,5k miles tire on the same axial was bad when rotating my tires.

In fact this was even recommended, not only to increase by 20% the tires mileage, but because when getting a flat,
you will have a brand new tire on the same axial with an already worn out tire.

Last edited:
You should measure the thread of all the tires and compare with a new tire,
because after only 4k miles they might be almost like new, not really justifying getting two tires replaced,
unless you have a great diffference of wear between your tires and a new one.

You didn't mentionned which axial you got a flat, but if you get a flat on the rear, since the front tires get less wear
then one of the front tires could be use on the rear axial conjointly with a new rear tire.

If you get a flat on the front, the front axial is rarely energized,
so I don't think there will be too much of an issue to have a new tire with an older (4k miles) tire.

If you are very puzzle about the need or not to get one ore two tires to be replaced, I would replace first one tire,
then I will go to a large empty parking lot, or a not very buzy street, and make a mark with a chalk or a piece of tape
on each wheel, and move the car a few hundred of feet and compare the mark position between the tires to see
if there is a noticeable difference of position.

Here is the type of gaugue that I am using: Preciva LCD Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge

Note: I you really have to get two new tires, keep the not damaged one and get a used rim to make it as a spare.

My previous car has a regular size spare tire, so I was rotating my tires using five tires. I never read at that time
that using my brand new spare tire conjointly with a 7,5k miles tire on the same axial was bad when rotating my tires.

In fact this was even recommended, not only to increase by 20% the tires mileage, but because when getting a flat,
you will have a brand new tire on the same axial with an already worn out tire.
Thanks much for these insights. I like the idea about the marking the tires and checking the position.
Flat was on the front drivers side. They swapped the new tire to the rear.
I already ordered a depth gauge - an analog. Wish I'd seen the digital before. Maybe I'll upgrade.

As for the matter of the open differential, and whether it would be affected by different wear levels (reduced tire size), do you think that is something to worry about?