Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life span for Continental ProContact Rx Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the post I mentioned in my previous post, though I was wrong recalling that this post stated the OEM Contis were not as “durable.” I’m still curious if there is any confirmation that the aftermarket Contis are a better tire. I might be tempted to buy them again if I found out they were. Otherwise, nope.
On our 2022 MYLR, rear tires (OEM Contis) were 5/32"-6/32" at 8,500 miles. They've been rotated since then, but we'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of them. FWIW, tread depth measured by SC at 200 miles was only 7/32", which is 2/32" less than the Continental spec. Why would Tesla put substandard tires on a $60,000 car?

I got my Model Y long range back in october '21 and it came with Continental ProContact Rx tires. When I got to 30k miles, one of my tires blew out (ran over a nail or something) and I got towed to a tesla service center where they told me that the rest of my tires were on pretty marginal tread (I think they were a little under 4/32) so I might as well replace the set. Which I did. They gave me a brand new set of Continental ProContact Rx tires. I just rolled with it, and figured that ~30k miles is the lifespan of a set of tires on a Model Y, because its a heavy vehicle.

Fast forward 18 months or so and I'm at 63k miles on the odometer, 33K miles driven on this second set and they're still in pretty good shape. I'm between 6/32 and 7/32 on all my tire depth gauge readings. If the tires were to continue to wear down at the same rate, and I were to roll with them until they got down to the legal limit of 2/32 and I don't suffer and catastrophic failures along the way, math says they should last 77k miles. Which seems pretty unbelievable.

When I look back on my first set of tires, I took them on a 4,000 mile winter road trip through the rockies, Idaho, portland. A bunch of snow and stuff and I think that ate up a lot of tread depth. I live in Southern California, so I have some fairly nice driving conditions year round and haven't driven this second set of tires through any winter weather, snow or salted roads. Seems like that would explain the difference I'm seeing in tire life.

Anyways, I'm curious what others have been experiencing with these ProContact Rx tires and their life expectancy.
68.5 k miles on my original Continental ProContact RX tires on my '22 MYLR. Take turns at 30 mph or less and your tires can make it past 40k miles. See my other posts for more information. Secret to longer tire life: Chill Mode, 30mph or less around cloverleaf turns - go easy when turning, no Tasmanian devil driving.