Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner - Want New Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

DISCLAIMER: I did research this forum prior to posting this.

I am a new owner, well more so my wife is a new owner of a 2023 MYLR w/ 19" Gemini wheels (Continental Procontact RX). We live in Salt Lake City, UT and we can have decent winters. We have lived here our whole lives and winter is nothing new to us.

I have concerns about the MYLR and the Regenerative Braking and lack of "Snow Mode" on OE tires: Continental Procontact RX and have a few questions for your folks.

1. What MYLR Braking settings would you recommend driving with in Utah or similar winter climates?
2. Tires... I've narrowed it down to 3 selections based off of my research prior to posting this but want to hear your thoughts.

Some context... We recently sold my wife's 2021 Kia Sorrento with Kumho Crugen Premium KL33 Tires and that is what my wife drove year-round, no winter tires, no replacement/better A/S tires. I am going to take their TireRack ratings as a baseline, and as you can see the baseline for the Kumho in winter is 6.1 score.

These are the three tires (in no particular order) for the MYLR 19" wheels I have narrowed down to, but I am open to suggestions. I am aware the Range/Efficiency is going to take a hit with all of these tires but feel with the Regen Braking, a better tire may be warranted in UT for wintertime (Without a dedicated winter tire).

My wife drives about 50-60 miles daily, most of it highway/interstate to and from work. We have a Wall Mounted charger and charge daily to 80%. I know for better winter/snow traction, we are going to take a decent hit in efficiency.

Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations! Thanks so much!

Thanks everyone for the help in advance!

I have not had the Y during winter yet, but I previously drove a M3 RWD for 5 years in Minnesota. For the 1st 3 years I drove on the OEM tires and had no real problems getting around in the snow. The traction control and balanced weight of the Tesla makes it very stable. When I changed tires I went with the Cross Climate 2. There was a very minor hit on range but they were noticeably better on snow.

In both cases I made no adjustments on the regen settings. My 1st year I tried low regen, but did not see any benefit. Regen naturally reduces when the batteries are cold so you already have reduced regen during the winter.

Based of average temp data from Google, your climate is milder than ours during the winter. I've been using CC2 for the past 6 years or so, on both my previous car (BMW X3) and also the current car, a Model Y. Prior to that, I used to use dedicated winter tires during the winter - Michelin X-Ice.

On my X3, when I changed from X-Ice to CC2, I felt the difference on slippery roads and packed snow, as expected. But I had the motivation to dump winter tires as storage became an issue and it was getting harder to deal with ever increasing size (hence weight) of tires these days.

Over time, I've gotten used to it and I simply drive less aggressively during the winter (getting older helps too). There was one incidence where I wished I had more traction but other than that, it was fine.

I also considered VQP, but looking at Tirerack info, CC2 has better snow traction and also longer tread life. So I didn't see that as a cheaper alternative.

CC2 has been good so far, on MY. Tread life is quite decent. Range loss is less that what I was expecting. I don't set Tesla into any special mode during the winter, nor think much of it. Driving MY during the snowy day doesn't seem all that different from a 4WD BMW X3. I think Tesla has enough logic built in to prevent drivers from getting into trouble when you regen too hard on slippery roads.

I may try the "Snow Mode" if I ever get stuck which apparently let all 4 wheels to spin a bit.

Having said that, I still look into the tire scene to see if anything better got released every month or so.... 😅

For winter driving the CC2 is one of the better if not best "3 peaks" symbol winter rated all-season tires. I'm considering the VQP when I replace the OE Continental tires for their superior wet road condition grip (not much snow here in Metro DC area, I don't drive into the mountains in winter where I might encounter snow conditions.)

Tesla removed the option for Low regenerative braking from the US Model Y vehicles. Drive in Chill mode. The traction control and stability control will automatically correct any slippage. Slowly release the pressure on the accelerator pedal to avoid causing the rear to start to slide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
I drive a Model 3 AWD in Winter climate (Western NY). My last tires were Vred Quatrac Pro and my current tires are the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4.

Both of those tires were fine for me. I don't swap to Winter tires. I also don't change regen settings (Hold mode, max regen).

Just like hitting the brakes in Winter though, one needs to resist the urge to abruptly lift their foot off the accelerator.

My car drives great in the Winter. Very stable.

Based of average temp data from Google, your climate is milder than ours during the winter. I've been using CC2 for the past 6 years or so, on both my previous car (BMW X3) and also the current car, a Model Y. Prior to that, I used to use dedicated winter tires during the winter - Michelin X-Ice.

On my X3, when I changed from X-Ice to CC2, I felt the difference on slippery roads and packed snow, as expected. But I had the motivation to dump winter tires as storage became an issue and it was getting harder to deal with ever increasing size (hence weight) of tires these days.

Over time, I've gotten used to it and I simply drive less aggressively during the winter (getting older helps too). There was one incidence where I wished I had more traction but other than that, it was fine.

I also considered VQP, but looking at Tirerack info, CC2 has better snow traction and also longer tread life. So I didn't see that as a cheaper alternative.

CC2 has been good so far, on MY. Tread life is quite decent. Range loss is less that what I was expecting. I don't set Tesla into any special mode during the winter, nor think much of it. Driving MY during the snowy day doesn't seem all that different from a 4WD BMW X3. I think Tesla has enough logic built in to prevent drivers from getting into trouble when you regen too hard on slippery roads.

I may try the "Snow Mode" if I ever get stuck which apparently let all 4 wheels to spin a bit.

Having said that, I still look into the tire scene to see if anything better got released every month or so.... 😅
What is your current range with these tires?

The difference is definitely noticeable when I'm trying to make a trip that is close to the limit of the car (which I do weekly).

I suppose quoting my current range isn't helpful since that depends on the temperature and how fast I drive, but based on what % is remaining after the trip during border seasons when I used to barely make back to home, I would say I am missing about 5-7%.

The difference is definitely noticeable when I'm trying to make a trip that is close to the limit of the car (which I do weekly).

I suppose quoting my current range isn't helpful since that depends on the temperature and how fast I drive, but based on what % is remaining after the trip during border seasons when I used to barely make back to home, I would say I am missing about 5-7%.
Based on a ton of research here, I'd say that's the average efficiency loss across all brands. It's not really noticeable except during road trips where SCs might be spread out.

Reactions: JohnB007

Thank you! That’s not bad when you consider all the benefits the tire offers...no changeover, nice warranty, high performance in snow and not.

Reactions: JohnB007
Hi All,

I am a new owner, well more so my wife is a new owner of a 2023 MYLR w/ 19" Gemini wheels (Continental Procontact RX). We live in Salt Lake City, UT and we can have decent winters. We have lived here our whole lives and winter is nothing new to us.

I have concerns about the MYLR and the Regenerative Braking and lack of "Snow Mode" on OE tires: Continental Procontact RX and have a few questions for your folks.

1. What MYLR Braking settings would you recommend driving with in Utah or similar winter climates?
2. Tires... I've narrowed it down to 3 selections based off of my research prior to posting this but want to hear your thoughts.

Some context... We recently sold my wife's 2021 Kia Sorrento with Kumho Crugen Premium KL33 Tires and that is what my wife drove year-round, no winter tires, no replacement/better A/S tires. I am going to take their TireRack ratings as a baseline, and as you can see the baseline for the Kumho in winter is 6.1 score.

These are the three tires (in no particular order) for the MYLR 19" wheels I have narrowed down to, but I am open to suggestions. I am aware the Range/Efficiency is going to take a hit with all of these tires but feel with the Regen Braking, a better tire may be warranted in UT for wintertime (Without a dedicated winter tire).

My wife drives about 50-60 miles daily, most of it highway/interstate to and from work. We have a Wall Mounted charger and charge daily to 80%. I know for better winter/snow traction, we are going to take a decent hit in efficiency.

I had the Vredesteins on my previous mylr and was surprised how average they were in snow.

Is your wife into driving performance? If yes, DWS, otherwise CC2.

I put my wife in CC2 as she loves the snow traction and often drives in the mountains.

I need more performance out of my tires, so I'm keeping the stock MYP pilot sport all seasons, but I'd consider the dws when time to replace.

I have a Model YLR coming from Texas with the 20 inch rims. Delivering on Friday. I can’t find anywhere what brand the tires will be. I would like to research the lifespan if possible. If anyone know the tire brand plese let me know.
Tirerack.com shows two OE tires for the 2023 LRMY with 20" wheels:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S)

Michelin Pilot Sport EV

The Goodyear Eagle F1 has been the OE 20" tire (in the US) since the Model Y was introduced in 2020. Tirerack provides rating information for this tire. The Michelin Pilot Sport EV is new, Tirerack does not provide any data on this tire.

Since you are in MA you may want to either purchase a set of dedicated winter tires and separate wheels (you could for example go with 18" or 19" wheels and tires for winter driving.) If sticking with the OE 20" Induction wheels know that the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 tire performs poorly on snow and ice covered roads. (If the Tesla Model Y will be your daily driver throughout the winter season you will want to get better all season or dedicated winter tires,)

One good choice in an all season tire would be the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (The PS AS4 tire has the 3 mountain peaks symbol on the sidewall, i.e. thsi tire is rated for winter driving.) The PS AS4 does come in the OE size for the 20" Induction wheels (255/40R20). Another tire to consider is the Vredestein Quatrac Pro All Season Tire. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tire is frequently back ordered starting in Sept/Oct (in the 19" size 255/45R19) but currently shows as in stock in the 20" (255/40R20 size.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I appreciate the answer. I will look those up
Another option would be to replace the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 tires with Michelin CrossClimate 2 (CC2) all season tires (for superior performance on snow and ice.) The CC2 is not currently offered in the OE 20" spec tire size (255/40R20) but some Tesla Model Y owners have installed the CC2 on the 20" wheels in a slightly taller size (does not rub but the speedometer will be off by a couple of percent.) I suggest you search the forum for specifics if you want the CC2 in 20" for the Tesla Model Y Induction wheels. If you go with 18" or 19" wheels instead of the 20" wheel there may be more tire choices. Generally the smaller 18" or 19" wheel and tire is preferred to the 20" wheel and tire for winter driving as the taller rubber sidewalls on the 18" and 19" tires will be more likely to survive potholes.

Hi All,

But dedicated winters and put them in a set of beat up 19s off a LR. Drive your car, and don’t overthink it!

But dedicated winters and put them in a set of beat up 19s off a LR. Drive your car, and don’t overthink it!
All of these will hit the car's range negatively because they all have poor rolling resistance. I agree with ngng. Put on dedicated snow tires. The best tire in my opinion is the Nokian Hakkepelliita R5 EV. It has the best rolling resistance and is a dedicated, highly rated winter tire.

Hi All,

All of these will hit the car's range negatively because they all have poor rolling resistance. I agree with ngng. Put on dedicated snow tires. The best tire in my opinion is the Nokian Hakkepelliita R5 EV. It has the best rolling resistance and is a dedicated, highly rated winter tire. Likely too late for your needs, but I will post anyway in case it helps!

All of these will hit the car's range negatively because they all have poor rolling resistance. I agree with ngng. Put on dedicated snow tires. The best tire in my opinion is the Nokian Hakkepelliita R5 EV. It has the best rolling resistance and is a dedicated, highly rated winter tire. Likely too late for your needs, but I will post anyway in case it helps!

☝️take advice from the guy in Maine!

Full disclosure, South Texas driver. I don't deal with much snow. Ice maybe.

I bought a used 21 MYLR. It had the Continental Procontact RXs with 38,000 on it. I put 6000 more miles on them and they were close to 2/32.

I went with Bridgestone Turanza Quietrack 255/45 R19 104V XL All Season. For my driving conditions it is rated highly. I did see on one post that it handles well in snow.