Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires/Wheels Factory, OEM or Aftermarket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I got my MYLR with the Induction wheels and summer tires. Now with the approaching Canadian winter ( Southern Ontario) I want to get a set of winter tires and wheels but I'm not sure which ones to go with.

What are your experiences with the following?
I'm thinking of getting 19"s for a smoother ride.

Factory Gemini with Perilli Sotos - I want to get the Gemini's because I'm guessing the covers it will keep the crud out of my brakes and help with some extra range.

I'm also trying to see if I can buy some used on marketplace or Kijiji and slap tires on them. And a recommendations for decent affordable tires?

OEM Gemini from FB/online I've seen some with Michelin Xice Snow and Pirelli sotos -
The OEMs are attractive because I don't have to live on noodles after buying the factory ones but this is my first new car and I don't want to mess up by buying something that won't be compatible. I also want to make sure I get EV tires, are the x ice snow for EVs?

Aftermarket - The only thing I like about getting aftermarket is they will look nice but again I just want them to be compatible with the car and make sure I get decent range. Also I don't want to buy a complete crap wheels. I have no clue on where to even begin to look for aftermarket ones some local tire shops have very high markups.

Thanks for reading y'all

Hey all, I got my MYLR with the Induction wheels and summer tires. Now with the approaching Canadian winter ( Southern Ontario) I want to get a set of winter tires and wheels but I'm not sure which ones to go with.

What are your experiences with the following?
I'm thinking of getting 19"s for a smoother ride.

Factory Gemini with Perilli Sotos - I want to get the Gemini's because I'm guessing the covers it will keep the crud out of my brakes and help with some extra range.

I'm also trying to see if I can buy some used on marketplace or Kijiji and slap tires on them. And a recommendations for decent affordable tires?

OEM Gemini from FB/online I've seen some with Michelin Xice Snow and Pirelli sotos -
The OEMs are attractive because I don't have to live on noodles after buying the factory ones but this is my first new car and I don't want to mess up by buying something that won't be compatible. I also want to make sure I get EV tires, are the x ice snow for EVs?

Aftermarket - The only thing I like about getting aftermarket is they will look nice but again I just want them to be compatible with the car and make sure I get decent range. Also I don't want to buy a complete crap wheels. I have no clue on where to even begin to look for aftermarket ones some local tire shops have very high markups.

Thanks for reading y'all
I just had Michelin X-Ice snow tires installed today on an extra set of 19 inch Gemini wheels for my Y LR. I used X-Ice for seven years on my RWD S and they did quite well; I expect even better performance with the AWD Model Y. Did slam on the brakes on a slick patch of snow on the way home and the car stopped straight, as usual. Won't really know how they do until I have to get up my long steep driveway in slick conditions but expect them to handle it.

Michelin X-Ice snow tires are fairly common in the Tesla community. These are rated "Extra Load" for the extra weight of the Model Y. An advantage of using an extra set of Gemini wheels is that my aero hubcaps fit.

FWIW.

IMG_20231130_183634745_HDR.jpg

^ Sorry about all the dirt, but I live on a dirt road in the mountains. Fact of life here.

I just had Michelin X-Ice snow tires installed today on an extra set of 19 inch Gemini wheels for my Y LR. I used X-Ice for seven years on my RWD S and they did quite well; I expect even better performance with the AWD Model Y. Did slam on the brakes on a slick patch of snow on the way home and the car stopped straight, as usual. Won't really know how they do until I have to get up my long steep driveway in slick conditions but expect them to handle it.

Michelin X-Ice snow tires are fairly common in the Tesla community. These are rated "Extra Load" for the extra weight of the Model Y. An advantage of using an extra set of Gemini wheels is that my aero hubcaps fit.

FWIW.

View attachment 995256
^ Sorry about all the dirt, but I live on a dirt road in the mountains. Fact of life here.

Nice! Where did you land the extra set of Gemini wheels from?

Nice! Where did you land the extra set of Gemini wheels from?
I lucked out and bought them from a Colorado Springs sales staff member who took them off his car. Will use the Continental tires that were on the rims when mine wear out in a couple of years; they have about half of tread left. I had planned to buy off of Craigslist but that wasn't necessary. Convenient: I went home in my new car with four extra wheels/tires in the back. Stacked them on my campsite picnic table that night so that I could sleep in the back as usual.

I do a lot of road trips and put more than 3000 miles on my car in the first three and a half weeks. Time for snow tires where I live.

Still need to sell my extra 2014 Model S wheels. That's going to be tougher given the small market for those older cars but I sure could use the space in my garage!

Reactions: Tectonic
Did you feel any kind of range drop with the x-ice snow?
You lucked out with the authentic Gemini's! they're really hard to come across in my area
Yes, I was quite pleased to be able to pick up the extra wheels so easily — I had been considering a Craigslist listing about thirty miles farther away and more expensive than what I offered for the wheels/TPMS/tires (I bought them for US$1000). The Tesla Gemini wheels/Pirelli snow tire package is a good deal but good luck finding them in stock this time of the year anywhere in snow country! They did have them on the Tesla website when I looked in early November.

I've never really tried to calibrate range with snow tires versus the OEM tires. My driving environment is so complex that it would be difficult to do an A/B comparison. Suffice to say that my range is vastly more than I need to do road trip legs and most of my miles over the last seven and a half years have been road trips. (Planning a trip to your area in May, for example). I also have the advantage of free home charging, due to solar panels, and Free Supercharging, as part of the Tesla FUSC transfer offer to trade in my S60 for the new Y. [In 157,000 miles with the S, my total charging cost was $2.96 plus a couple of parking garage fees where Supercharger Stations were located.] This makes small differences in efficiency of tires to be of less interest to me than to others here, I suppose.

One noticeable characteristic of the Michelin X-Ice tires is that they are quieter than my regular tires.

This is a typical fifteen mile energy plot from my old S60 here at home. Hairpin curves and grades up to 14% do not make for simple efficiency calculations:

Model S Energy screen2141sf 10-8-18.jpg

^ It's not flat here in scenic Ouray County, Colorado!

Last edited: