Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating Wheel Configuration for new Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I searched the forums but I couldn't find the answer to this question. I bought 19" Replika R241 wheels wrapped in Michelin X-Ice tires. I noticed under the Wheel Configuration setting, it's still shown as 20" Induction Wheels. It doesn't look like my tire shop that did the swap for me modified this setting.

I thought that with the reduced size, I would get more range. Should I change the wheel size? If so, is there a specific one I should select? It doesn't have an option for aftermarket wheels. Just the standard 19" Gemini wheels or the 21" Uberturbine wheels. Should I select the 19" Gemini?

Yes you can change the configuration in the car. It will do a quick reboot and you are all set. For some reason it does not update the range display (rated range). I just did this today after I changed wheels. There is definitely a difference in range. Even Tesla's website shows the difference in range depending on which wheel you pick for your car.

Yes you can change the configuration in the car. It will do a quick reboot and you are all set. For some reason it does not update the range display (rated range). I just did this today after I changed wheels. There is definitely a difference in range. Even Tesla's website shows the difference in range depending on which wheel you pick for your car.
Thanks. But if your using aftermarket wheels, which setting would you choose? Would you just choose the 19" Gemini wheels ?

Size is what matters. So yes if you have any 19" non Tesla wheels, use the 19" Gemini option in the car. I am not sure why the car needs to know the wheel size, but I'm sure there is a good reason. Otherwise Tesla would not have this user adjustable.

Size is what matters. So yes if you have any 19" non Tesla wheels, use the 19" Gemini option in the car. I am not sure why the car needs to know the wheel size, but I'm sure there is a good reason. Otherwise Tesla would not have this user adjustable.
Thanks I'll give that a shot. Hoping to hear other opinions as well. I just didn't want to ruin anything with the car if I chose the 19" Gemini setting for non tesla wheels

You can’t just look at wheel size and call it a day. For example, a 255/45R19 and a 255/35R21 are the same diameter, which means thay have the same circumference as well - no change in range. So you need do a little more homework

When you change wheel size you are changing from one Tesla “standard” size (wheel and tire) to another.

Last edited:
You can’t just look at wheel size and call it a day. For example, a 255/45R19 and a 255/35R21 are the same diameter, which means thay have the same circumference as well - no change in range. So you need do a little more homework

When you change wheel size you are changing from one Tesla “standard” size (wheel and tire) to another.
The difference in range isn't due to the circumference of the tire. The advantage in range is due to the lower mass of smaller rims and the lower rolling resistance. Go to Tesla's website and cofigure a Model Y LR. Change the wheel size and see how it updates the range of the vehicle.

The difference in range isn't due to the circumference of the tire. The advantage in range is due to the lower mass of smaller rims and the lower rolling resistance. Go to Tesla's website and cofigure a Model Y LR. Change the wheel size and see how it updates the range of the vehicle.

True, and a good tip, assuming you stay with the specced tire tires.

Sorry but I'm still confused. My new winter setup is 255/45/19 over the stock 20" induction wheels. Should I still change the wheel configuration to 19" Gemini? Again, using the Michelin x ice.

Screenshot_20231209_081719_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Thanks

From Tesla's vehicle manual:

If you are installing new wheels or swapping them for different ones, update your vehicle's wheel configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire > Wheels. This allows Model Y to learn the new wheels and provide more accurate status updates on your vehicle. Select a wheel from the drop down menu that matches the new wheels you plan to install on Model 3. Selecting new wheels in the wheel configuration also changes the wheels that appear on your vehicle's avatar on the touchscreen.

Note
Changing your vehicle's wheel configuration can impact range estimates, tire pressure warning levels, and vehicle visualization.

From Tesla's vehicle manual:

If you are installing new wheels or swapping them for different ones, update your vehicle's wheel configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire > Wheels. This allows Model Y to learn the new wheels and provide more accurate status updates on your vehicle. Select a wheel from the drop down menu that matches the new wheels you plan to install on Model 3. Selecting new wheels in the wheel configuration also changes the wheels that appear on your vehicle's avatar on the touchscreen.

Note
Changing your vehicle's wheel configuration can impact range estimates, tire pressure warning levels, and vehicle visualization.
Thanks David - I saw that from the manual. The purpose of my post is whether I could select the 19" Gemini since the drop down menu doesn't give me an option that matches the new Replika wheels that have been installed.

Sounds like the general concensus is to go with this option. Appreciate the feedback.