Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky tire/wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Owner of a 2023 Tesla Model Y LR here. I have just installed a brand new set of wheels from T Sportline (20" TST rims with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires) and noticed this loud rotational squeaking coming from the front left wheel. It squeaks in sync with the rotation of the wheel, that is, if I am driving fast the squeak is fast, driving slow the squeak is slow. I've included a link to a video with the sound to illustrate (hope it works). There is no discernable difference in pitch/frequency when turning, braking or accelerating. Swapped the wheel with a 19" Gemini from my winter set and there is no noise, so this rules out the suspension/brakes. I have not noticed any vibration at highway speeds. The tires have about 300 miles on them.

Anyone has ideas what it may be? Could it be something structural in the tire or rim?
Thanks in advance!

It's the barcode label on the bead of the tire. 21" MYP Michelin tires do this too occasionally. You will need to have the tire removed and the barcode shaved off to stop the noise. Sometimes it goes away on its own after 5-10,000 miles, other times not.

tire-barcode1.jpg

Upvote 1
Really all that is needed is for a shop to deflate the tire on a machine, push the bead down (Some machines have a press-arm for mounting low profile tires), shave off the barcode with a die grinder bit, then re-inflate. No balance or demount necessary. You could try requesting that, maybe it keeps the cost down if they're willing to do it. Certainly no road force necessary, especially if they mark the location of the tire before removing it.

Upvote 0
Does this only happen with low profile tires?
I have personally only experienced it on low profile tires, since they tend to put more pressure/movement on the bead area than a taller, floppy tire would.

But I've also only seen/heard this on the Michelin Primacy MXM4, and the Michelin PSAS4. Other manufacturers may use a different label material or placement that doesn't cause this.

Upvote 0