Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud brake squeak after caliper paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Model 3 and recently I got my brake calipers painted by a wrapper. They have painted the calipers without taking them off the car, so they masked everything off and then painted the calipers. After I got the car back, I noticed that the front left brake is squeaking VERY loud at low speeds. It sounds like metal is rubbing against metal. It happens on both forward as well as backward driving when coming to a stop slowly or moving slowly. I recorded a video:

Do you have any idea what could be the cause for this? I definitely did not have this before the calipers were painted. I will bring a visit to the wrapper upcoming week but would like to know potential causes for this. Could it be a brake clip or something that is not put back properly and rubs against the rotor? Again, really sounds like metal to metal to me.

I also want to note that they changed my 18" Aero wheels for 20" OEM Performance wheels from a 2019 Model 3. They resprayed the Performance wheels and changed the old TMPS sensors for the Bluetooth ones from my Aero set. They are on the Michelin Pilot Sport Tesla Only tires. I don't think the wheels nor tires should be the cause of the loud brake squeak?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Robin

Thanks your your reply! I have to get it checked but it indeed sounds like something is inbetween and rubbing against the rotor, leading to this awful noise.

I the sound often when coming to a slow stop or moving slowly. have set my stopping mode to "Creep" so that it drives like a conventional automatic car.

Any other ideas from people who have experienced this?

I have the same issue, contemplating if its just my brakes that need to be replaced or is it something else.

It only makes noise when i get to 3mph or lower. I hate it. Sometimes it doesnt make the noise, so im not sure what it is but its embarrassing.

Also i have read on the forms that it could be the 21in tires. I have the 21 inch tesla tires and jf thats the case, i might drop to a 18 inch

I went to the wrapper who painted my wheels and calipers. They say it must be a coincidence because the wheel and/or caliper paint cannot be the cause, especially because the calipers were not removed from the car. They just taped off everything around the wheel arch and spray painted the calipers (I assume they sanded it first etc.).

Any other ideas on what it can be? I will go to Tesla soon.

Sounds like good old fashion brake squeal to me, not metal on metal. Many semi-metallic brake pads are prone to squealing. I have switched to ceramic brake pads on all my cars, and that has eliminated the squealing.

I suppose it’s possible they got some overspray on the rotors that could contribute to squealing. If so the suggestion above of several hard braking passes could remedy the issue.

Sounds like good old fashion brake squeal to me, not metal on metal. Many semi-metallic brake pads are prone to squealing. I have switched to ceramic brake pads on all my cars, and that has eliminated the squealing.

I suppose it’s possible they got some overspray on the rotors that could contribute to squealing. If so the suggestion above of several hard braking passes could remedy the issue.
How much tesla ceramic break pads cost each? I’m about to do that too if you say they don’t squeal. Did you do it yourself or service center? Can it be done by yourself?

The car applies light braking once you are below 3-4mph to control the stop. Thats why you only hear it then. A proper brake furnishing should be performed before jumping to any conclusion.

Suggest a couple 65-10 braking stops. Doing it in neutral will help even more as regen will be off allowing you to get all of the deceleration through the brakes only.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
How much tesla ceramic break pads cost each? I’m about to do that too if you say they don’t squeal. Did you do it yourself or service center? Can it be done by yourself?

Go to rockauto.com and look up your specific Tesla to see brake pad options. Then do a search on the page for the word ceramic to easily see all your choices. PowerStop ceramic brake pads have worked well for me, and they around $50/axle usually.