Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted Brake Calipers Voids Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone
I posted this in Facebook and got issues with the Admins and people cracking jokes. Serious question
I have a 22 Model Y and recently started to hear very faint clicking noise at low speed. 2-5 MPH .. at Driver side front. Made a service center appointment and was able to reproduce the noise in front of Mechanic he then says your brake calipers are painted so that voids the warranty. Good day to you... I argued and said what do you mean? He said that the noise is probably coming from the brakes and since it's painted that voids the warranty and he can't touch it... I argued back and said it how can that possibly void the warranty? and that it doesn't sound like the brake and more like ball joint or axle or suspension related. His exact words were "Since someone had to remove the caliper and repaint it and then reinstall, that voids the warranty". so I said, if I change the air filter myself does that void the warranty on that also? He looked at me and said Yes... "basically if anyone else beside Tesla touches it, will void the warranty". Now I purchase and work on cars my whole life and call BS on that, but he and the server advisor both agreed and said no warranty

Has this happened to everyone else beside me?

Reactions: Watts_Up
The tech is as dumb and clueless as high school dropouts working at the fast lube places. It is not the removal and reinstall of the parts. It is the paint that you applied on the caliper. Spray paint can get into the areas that can cause "sticking" issue that can create the noise that you are describing.

Of course it’s BS in that paint on the caliper (if applied only to the exterior) didn’t cause a clicking…but I wonder if he’s right (in the legal sense) that once you modify original equipment the warranty is voided. I’d take it to a diff Tesla center to see if you get that same opinion a second time.

Remove and Reinstall part is totally legal and protected by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The issue is the "modification" part and Tesla can argue that the caliper was "modified" by the owner.

and Just for some context, The brakes calipers were painted 1.5 years ago and no sounds or anything.. The slight clicking noise that started a week ago.. Nobody has touch it since then... I just got a feeling the service advisor was being a hard ass or is it really a Tesla Policy? He said anybody but Tesla touches it, its voided warranty.

Remove and Reinstall part is totally legal and protected by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The issue is the "modification" part and Tesla can argue that the caliper was "modified" by the owner.

the problem with MM is that the consumer must spend their time and resources to fight the mfg

• Love
Reactions: Visvism and RNHurt
and Just for some context, The brakes calipers were painted 1.5 years ago and no sounds or anything.. The slight clicking noise that started a week ago.. Nobody has touch it since then... I just got a feeling the service advisor was being a hard ass or is it really a Tesla Policy? He said anybody but Tesla touches it, its voided warranty.

like everything tesla, it's hit or miss. but, it's not unheard of.

the problem with MM is that the consumer must spend their time and resources to fight the mfg
yeah that is what I was arguing with the guy with,, I get it if I replaced with aftermarket brakes or something, but to just simple remove and paint then install doesn't constitute to modifying the original part itself, His argument back to me was, if we didn't remove it then it's basically void warranty. and that is why I said, what about the air filter? If I replaced that myself, does it void the filter warranty? and he also said YES... just ridiculous , I told him show me in the warranty doc's... and of course he just said refer to your owners manual. just seems like Tesla is trying to weasel out of fixing anything on warranty claims

yeah that is what I was arguing with the guy with,, I get it if I replaced with aftermarket brakes or something, but to just simple remove and paint then install doesn't constitute to modifying the original part itself, His argument back to me was, if we didn't remove it then it's basically void warranty. and that is why I said, what about the air filter? If I replaced that myself, does it void the filter warranty? and he also said YES... just ridiculous , I told him show me in the warranty doc's... and of course he just said refer to your owners manual

yeah, that's BS

That SA is incorrect. Tesla even has DIY instructions for things like the air filter. Time to find another service center.

Sure, the brake caliper's warranty itself might be invalidated by the paint (I disagree, but I get it), but an axle, ball joint, etc. would be completely unaffected by the caliper removal process and thus not affected at all.

I personally think it's BS that they won't operate in good faith and fix it since properly done painting shouldn't cause any issue but there are parts of the warranty they can point to to deny you.

I can't copy and paste it for some reason but it reads to the effect of "any inappropriate repair or modification..."

I think it's purposefully vague.

Maybe try a different SC?

I personally think it's BS that they won't operate in good faith and fix it since properly done painting shouldn't cause any issue but there are parts of the warranty they can point to to deny you.

I can't copy and paste it for some reason but it reads to the effect of "any inappropriate repair or modification..."

I think it's purposefully vague.

Maybe try a different SC?
Yeah I'm going to try another Service Center to see if I get the same results

It doesn't sound as if it's a caliper although I have heard of this before. Apparently the paint can increase the temperature of the braking system by not allowing the caliper to dissipate the heat as designed. As mention, get a second opinion from a different service center. BTW, what is their quote of the estimated repair? If they resolved the issue and it not being a caliper, you got em.

It doesn't sound as if it's a caliper although I have heard of this before. Apparently the paint can increase the temperature of the braking system by not allowing the caliper to dissipate the heat as designed. As mention, get a second opinion from a different service center. BTW, what is their quote of the estimated repair? If they resolved the issue and it not being a caliper, you got em.
Remember, it's a Tesla. With regen, I doubt the brakes will see high temps. Same reason why the pads will probably last the life of the car.

OP, do you have aftermarket wheel covers? If so, remove them and test again. I know those can click. Also, if you removed the calipers, did you pull the pads out? Make sure they're clipped in right with all the hardware present. I haven't disassembled these Tesla brakes before, but I've done many brake jobs and the steel spring clips need to be engaged properly to hold the pads back from the rotor and suspended.

Hello everyone
I posted this in Facebook and got issues with the Admins and people cracking jokes. Serious question
I have a 22 Model Y and recently started to hear very faint clicking noise at low speed. 2-5 MPH .. at Driver side front. Made a service center appointment and was able to reproduce the noise in front of Mechanic he then says your brake calipers are painted so that voids the warranty. Good day to you... I argued and said what do you mean? He said that the noise is probably coming from the brakes and since it's painted that voids the warranty and he can't touch it... I argued back and said it how can that possibly void the warranty? and that it doesn't sound like the brake and more like ball joint or axle or suspension related. His exact words were "Since someone had to remove the caliper and repaint it and then reinstall, that voids the warranty". so I said, if I change the air filter myself does that void the warranty on that also? He looked at me and said Yes... "basically if anyone else beside Tesla touches it, will void the warranty of AC repair Austin Texas" . Now I purchase and work on cars my whole life and call BS on that, but he and the server advisor both agreed and said no warranty

Has this happened to everyone else beside me?
I was thinking of painting the calipers so I hear it can void the warranty on the brakes. is that true?