Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” vs 20” Model Y LR wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my MY LR for almost a year. I still hate my Gemini wheels. I’d like to replace them. I’m unsure if I should stay at 19” and use my existing tires or go up to 20”. I don’t need a winter/summer set up where I live. Should I just pick an aftermarket wheel I like or shop for second hand Tesla wheels? I read changing the wheels devalues the car. What would be a nicer wheel to consider and what are the pros and cons of 19” vs 20”? Does a Model 3 wheel fit the MY? Just trying to figure out the best option for swapping out these Geminis.

I’ve had my MY LR for almost a year. I still hate my Gemini wheels. I’d like to replace them. I’m unsure if I should stay at 19” and use my existing tires or go up to 20”. I don’t need a winter/summer set up where I live. Should I just pick an aftermarket wheel I like or shop for second hand Tesla wheels? I read changing the wheels devalues the car. What would be a nicer wheel to consider and what are the pros and cons of 19” vs 20”? Does a Model 3 wheel fit the MY? Just trying to figure out the best option for swapping out these Geminis.
I got the wheel covers from Rimetrix and really like them. Under $300 and can keep wheels for when you resale or trade car.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 159
I got the wheel covers from Rimetrix and really like them. Under $300 and can keep wheels for when you resale or trade car.
I have wheel covers similar to this already on my car. They are ok. I just don’t love having hubcaps on my car. I don’t plan to sell or trade any time soon as we did buy it and my husband is next to get a new car.

Know that Tesla Service will only install factory OE Tesla wheels on your Tesla vehicle.

Have you tried removing the Gemini wheel covers and installing a lug nut cover and center cap kit?

Some have had their factory wheels powder coated in a color and finish of their choosing.

Amazon now has many different styles of plastic replacement wheel covers to fit the Tesla Gemini wheels. (The Rimetrix wheel covers noted by @heavync are one of the first aftermarket wheel covers to fit the 19" Gemini wheels.)

If you still want to replace your 19" Gemini wheels there are many choices and prices depending on your budget. Search the Tesla Model Y Driving Dynamics forum for information on aftermarket wheels.

Unlike the original 2018 Tesla Model 3 18" wheels the later (2021 and newer) Tesla Model 3 18" wheels do have sufficient load rating for use on the Tesla Model Y.

Reactions: EVChris
Thanks. Yes I’ve tried taking off the stock wheel covers and installing center caps. Not my favorite look. Purchased new wheel covers that look like uberturbine, still not my thing. I literally just hate hubcaps. Just trying to decide if I should stick with a 19” wheel or get a 20”. I see a lot of people selling the larger wheels or wanting to trade. I’ve also looked at many styles on t sportline and places like that.

If you don't mind the range hit (7% to 14% less) depending on how fast you drive consider a set of 21" Uberturbine wheel take-offs from a Performance Model Y. Some like the look, stability and handling of the heavier 21" Uber wheels. Others don't like the harsher ride (due to there being less tire sidewall). The front OE tire size is 255/35R-21 and the rear size is 275/35R-21 (you can go wider with the rear as the rear Uber wheels are 10.5" wide.)

If you don't mind the range hit (7% to 14% less) depending on how fast you drive consider a set of 21" Uberturbine wheel take-offs from a Performance Model Y. Some like the look, stability and handling of the heavier 21" Uber wheels. Others don't like the harsher ride (due to there being less tire sidewall). The front OE tire size is 255/35R-21 and the rear size is 275/35R-21 (you can go wider with the rear as the rear Uber wheels are 10.5" wide.)
Thank you. Definitely something to consider. Is there a stock 20” wheel that fits the Y?

Thank you. Definitely something to consider. Is there a stock 20” wheel that fits the Y?
The 20" induction wheel is an upgrade option when purchasing a Model Y.

Here is a guide from T-Sportline that explains the 3 stock wheels offered for the Y currently.

Hope you find something that you like. Wheels are a personal preference.

Thanks. Yes I’ve tried taking off the stock wheel covers and installing center caps. Not my favorite look. Purchased new wheel covers that look like uberturbine, still not my thing. I literally just hate hubcaps. Just trying to decide if I should stick with a 19” wheel or get a 20”. I see a lot of people selling the larger wheels or wanting to trade. I’ve also looked at many styles on t sportline and places like that.
You like what you like, I can understand that. Lots of people are selling the larger wheels because they end up not liking them. They're not liking expensive tires wearing out quickly from not being able to rotate. Less range, harsh ride and curbing them cause they stick out. I got these a few days after taking delivery and am still happy with them.

AD1761-A7-082-D-4-D04-B01-C-3-EA6-C9-F5-BF14.jpg

When a valet curbed a wheel cover, the location paid for a new set. The wheel beneath was undamaged.

IMG-0732.jpg

Reactions: YisSerL
Yes; The Long Range Model Y and the RWD Model Y are both available with the optional 20" Induction wheel for additional $2k (when purchased with the vehicle.) The 20" Induction wheel and factory tire (this originally was the Goodyear Eagle F1) combo is very close in weight (~1.5lbs) to the 19" Gemini wheel and factory tire (not sure about the weight of the current Pirelli Scorpion MS all season tire). Those love them or hate them 19" Gemini wheel covers provide up to an additional 5% range at highway speeds by reducing air turbulence in and around the wheel.

If you plan to tow with your Model Y know that with the 20" Induction wheels there is a slight reduction in towing capacity when towing and fully loaded with passengers and cargo.

At one time there were fewer choices of all-season tire in the OE 20" size 255/40R-20. There were more choices of performance tires in that size.

Regarding the 21" Uberturbine wheels, some people square up their Model Y using four of the rear 10.5 wide Uber wheels. (The smaller 9.5 inch wide Uberturbine front wheels don't have sufficient load rating to also be used in the rear. Some have done this anyway.) If you square up the Uber wheels then you can perform a standard tire rotation.

The 20" induction wheel is an upgrade option when purchasing a Model Y.

Here is a guide from T-Sportline that explains the 3 stock wheels offered for the Y currently.

Hope you find something that you like. Wheels are a personal preference.
You like what you like, I can understand that. Lots of people are selling the larger wheels because they end up not liking them. They're not liking expensive tires wearing out quickly from not being able to rotate. Less range, harsh ride and curbing them cause they stick out. I got these a few days after taking delivery and am still happy with them.

AD1761-A7-082-D-4-D04-B01-C-3-EA6-C9-F5-BF14.jpg

When a valet curbed a wheel cover, the location paid for a new set. The wheel beneath was undamaged.

IMG-0732.jpg
Those look nice. Thank you for the link. I have these covers on mine. I like yours better.
IMG_6347.jpeg

Yes; The Long Range Model Y and the RWD Model Y are both available with the optional 20" Induction wheel for additional $2k (when purchased with the vehicle.) The 20" Induction wheel and factory tire (this originally was the Goodyear Eagle F1) combo is very close in weight (~1.5lbs) to the 19" Gemini wheel and factory tire (not sure about the weight of the current Pirelli Scorpion MS all season tire). Those love them or hate them 19" Gemini wheel covers provide up to an additional 5% range at highway speeds by reducing air turbulence in and around the wheel.

If you plan to tow with your Model Y know that with the 20" Induction wheels there is a slight reduction in towing capacity when towing and fully loaded with passengers and cargo.

At one time there were fewer choices of all-season tire in the OE 20" size 255/40R-20. There were more choices of performance tires in that size.

Regarding the 21" Uberturbine wheels, some people square up their Model Y using four of the rear 10.5 wide Uber wheels. (The smaller 9.5 inch wide Uberturbine front wheels don't have sufficient load rating to also be used in the rear. Some have done this anyway.) If you square up the Uber wheels then you can perform a standard tire rotation.
Very helpful information. Thank you. I have not towed but it’s always a future possibility.

I think I might go aftermarket just for something different. What is the best color for a white car? I know it’s personal preference and I had planned on black but is a contrast better? Also rear spoiler add on in or out? I don’t want a dated car lol.

I don't like black wheels/rims as black wheels tend to disappear against the tire. I like silver and white. There are many choices of spoiler, a matter of personal taste. The Tesla spoiler on the PMY was known to not stay stuck in place (bad adhesive or preparation/application?) Real carbon fiber spoilers are pricey.

Some like to use Plasti Dip to change the color of their wheels, other automotive parts:

Fierce Pink Aerosol

I do think the black coated Apollo (that’s apparently the name of the wheel underneath the Gemini covers) looks quite good. I’d probably do that if I got another MY.

I’m 2.5 years in on my MY with Inductions, though, and I still think they look great. Nice wheels and I typically prefer OEM looks. Just need a bit of spray paint now and then for the wife’s curb rash.

Reactions: Coastal
I do think the black coated Apollo (that’s apparently the name of the wheel underneath the Gemini covers) looks quite good. I’d probably do that if I got another MY.

I’m 2.5 years in on my MY with Inductions, though, and I still think they look great. Nice wheels and I typically prefer OEM looks. Just need a bit of spray paint now and then for the wife’s curb rash.
It’s the silver that I didn’t like about them. The style was ok. I replaced them with TSportline TSF in satin black.