Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what the "it appears as if someone has been having a lot of fun" is about. A couple of hours on the track with new tires will reduce the tread depth significantly. Also the rate of wear slows as the tread depth decreases. In some cases you can get 1/3 of the tread life in the last 2 mm (not saying that will happen here).

Lola have you been on the track running down those 21's?

tex,
Nope. Just 3100 miles of 310 WHr/mile average driving. Half was at highway speeds (at Low I assume). I have done a lot of test drives and almost everyone does a launch from fully stopped which tends to take the life out of the tires.

I do wish I'd measured the tires new so I had a reference specific to the way I measure.

P85+ 7612 Miles
Both rears 6/32 on the outside and 5/32 on the inside.

I recently took it drag racing (at the track, videos in the 1/4 mile times thread) and on my last run roasted the tires 100'+ up the track. Had to clean melted rubber off of the lower rear of the car. I'm surprised at how low my wear is.

Lola and Jerry.....Just measured my rear 21s....Inside and outside tread both 9/32" on both tires. Got 5,500 miles on them with average of 340/mile battery useage. I do very little highway driving. Questions:

1. Do you think the low highway mileage has something to do with my minimal wear? (I have the active suspension)

2. I don't see any need to rotate tires ('inside/out')...correct?

Thanks Al

Inside to Outside rotation is only to capture the whole tire when wearing on the inside shoulder. No inside shoulder wear, no worries. That is awesome wear. I know negative camber increases in Low ride height so more highway miles speaks to more run time at the higher negative camber settings. The real answer we need is how much of the high end of the wear spectrum is attributable to camber and how much to bad toe combined with camber.

1. Do you think the low highway mileage has something to do with my minimal wear? (I have the active suspension)

Not really. I suspect your toe is correct in the rear. Camber by itself really won't wear the tires, but it will amplify any misalignment--and that misalignment can be very small at the camber settings that Tesla provides.

2. I don't see any need to rotate tires ('inside/out')...correct?

That is correct. If the tires are wearing evenly there is no need to take additional steps. The idea of the inside/out rotation is that if you already have way more than acceptable wear on one side (because the alignment was out and wasn't caught) it will help you get more miles out of the tires.

Just measured my treads again.

P85. Original OEM 19" Goodyears.

6.5/32"-7/32" remaining on all 4 treadlines on all 4 tires. Almost completely even wear. No inside shoulder wear at all.

29.9k miles.

I've only rotated twice. Once at 6500, and once at 24000.

I've never ever seen the front tires wear down at all. Only the rear tires will wear. I'll wait until my rear's are at 4/32", and then I'll rotate again. Then once those rears are down to 4/32" and thus 4/32" all around, I'll replace them.

Still estimating around 50-55k before I'll need replacement. Originally I was planning on Michelin Primacy MXM4 and then I liked the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, but considering those are double the cost of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 (currently $127 on tirerack) and the fact that I'm getting very good wear, the value is hard to argue against. I might just replace with Goodyears again unless for some reason someone can convince me that the Michelins will blow my socks off. But at my 1100mi/wk avg, I still have some 20 weeks left before I need new tires.

btw can't wait to cross over that 30k mark tomorrow....:) That'll put me in the "elite mileage" club LOL I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people with higher mileage then me (though they had there's months before I did, so my rate is still higher than theirs). I know when I brought mine in at 24k to queens SC they were all like "holy crap we've never seen a model S with this many miles!" although they did add "good thing you got the 19s. all the 21s that come through here need replacement at 5k and we've had plenty of blowouts and rim replacement and damage repair here!'. interesting...

btw can't wait to cross over that 30k mark tomorrow....:) That'll put me in the "elite mileage" club LOL I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people with higher mileage then me (though they had there's months before I did, so my rate is still higher than theirs). I know when I brought mine in at 24k to queens SC they were all like "holy crap we've never seen a model S with this many miles!" although they did add "good thing you got the 19s. all the 21s that come through here need replacement at 5k and we've had plenty of blowouts and rim replacement and damage repair here!'. interesting...

Thanks a lot yobigd20, my wife caught wind that you were on track to catch and pass us at 35k miles and now she's planning road trips to Vancouver, San Francisico and Las Vegas to keep pace:tongue:. Is this the new keeping up with the Jones?

Thanks a lot yobigd20, my wife caught wind that you were on track to catch and pass us at 35k miles and now she's planning road trips to Vancouver, San Francisico and Las Vegas to keep pace:tongue:. Is this the new keeping up with the Jones?

Well, I'll pass 32k tomorrow morning.

yrasetap.jpg

Treads still pretty much 6/32" on the rears and 7/32" on the front and looking good. No inside wear.

bazybu7e.jpg

y3a6a3aq.jpg

sapahe6y.jpg

My 19" OEM Goodyears lasted just under 17,000 miles before I replaced them. At my 15,000 mi annual service, my Tesla SC aligned my car without preserving the before and after numbers. Hmmm.

not cool! I had to ask for mine and was later sent an emailed version. folks who really think they have extreme wear due to a part failure/fatigue or misalignment might be best to get a third party reading before taking the car in.

not cool! I had to ask for mine and was later sent an emailed version. folks who really think they have extreme wear due to a part failure/fatigue or misalignment might be best to get a third party reading before taking the car in.

So this is where we start to see some conflict of interest. I'm all for direct sales and no dealership models, but this is exactly where you're going to want an independent third party to verify. We all know there's an obvious problem here, and they should be accountable for fixing it.

This reminds me of my Queens service at 24k. I measured the treads on my tires that morning before I dropped it off. I knew I had 7/32"-7.5/32" on all treads. As soon as I dropped it off they said "holy cow this is your first service visit and you have 24000 miles?? You're probably driving on bare metal! Your going to need new tires!" And I replied "I have the 19s, not 21s, they are fine. Just measure and rotate them." To which they replied "that was a smart decision giving up the free 21s for the 19s. Every car with 21s we've seen had needed replacement at 5k and we've done many more due to blowouts and rim damages. (Tow truck pulls in lot) Oh look! Here comes another tow truck now with another blowout and rim destroyed!" ANYWHO, at the end of the service visit , they showed me the report with all the things they did. I looked at the tire tread measurements and they had "measured" 9/32" on all 4 tires. I called them out on it immediately and was like "I know these are all wrong. Did you even bother to measure?" The manager went right out and measured in front of me and then crossed out all the 9/32" and scribbled in the right measurements. And this is supposed to be "exceptional service worth $600+tax??" Hardly. That is why i wouldn't trust any alignment measurements from them either.

I hope people doing research do not stumble across your post and think all cars with 21s will go through their tires and have blowouts at speed. If anyone does read the above and think this, please see the tire wear survey before making a final decision as there are a good number of owners that are doing just fine on 21s.

Sure, it is a factor in a purchase decision but 21s are not the end of the world.

I hope people doing research do not stumble across your post and think all cars with 21s will go through their tires and have blowouts at speed. If anyone does read the above and think this, please see the tire wear survey before making a final decision as there are a good number of owners that are doing just fine on 21s.

Sure, it is a factor in a purchase decision but 21s are not the end of the world.

+1. Just had my local service center change out my OEM 21s (85P+) for 21" snows (Pirelli just came out with 21s..not a Pirelli fan, but do like the look of the 21s...I am shallow:wink:). The techs were pleased to see with 7500 miles that the Michelins still have 8/32s all around.

**Edit** Average 330KW

Wanted to see if there was any updated info on tire wear out there. I have 19" Goodyears and the inside tread is almost completely worn down after 21000 miles, the outside still look practically new (sorry, no actual measurements). I've had two rotations (8k and 15k) and am a fairly mellow driver, lifetime average 307 wh/m. Seems like that's a bit soon to be worn out. I know yobigd must be close to 40k miles at this point on his Goodyears. Do you pros out there suspect I have a problem? I think I'll be requesting an alignment.

I bought an inventory car 2 weeks ago, P85+. The tires have 4,000 miles on them. Rear tire outer groove: 7.5 mm. Inner groove: 4.5 mm. Called the SC today and they will do an alignment and install camber bolts to remove as much camber as possible on Friday. I will ask for before & after printouts.

Wanted to see if there was any updated info on tire wear out there. I have 19" Goodyears and the inside tread is almost completely worn down after 21000 miles, the outside still look practically new (sorry, no actual measurements). I've had two rotations (8k and 15k) and am a fairly mellow driver, lifetime average 307 wh/m. Seems like that's a bit soon to be worn out. I know yobigd must be close to 40k miles at this point on his Goodyears. Do you pros out there suspect I have a problem? I think I'll be requesting an alignment.

An alignment sounds like a good idea. It probably is worth getting one of those digital tread depth gauges though. Cost about $20.