Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon suddenly appeared on my iPhone app from inside my hotel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not anywhere near my car. 2 floors up in a hotel, and on the main screen Summon has appeared. I'm afraid to touch it. :scared: What if my car tries to drive through a wall to find me??? But wouldn't it be nice if it could pick me up a the front door. :love: Has anyone else seen this? I thought you had to be within 10 feet of the car.

image.png

I'm not anywhere near my car. 2 floors up in a hotel, and on the main screen Summon has appeared. I'm afraid to touch it. :scared: What if my car tries to drive through a wall to find me??? But wouldn't it be nice if it could pick me up a the front door. :love: Has anyone else seen this? I thought you had to be within 10 feet of the car.
This happens to me (and presumably everyone else). The phone's geo-location is only so precise. It certainly has no way of knowing it is within 10 feet of the car. Even if the car's location is known to a high degree of precision, your phone's location could be off by hundreds of feet depending upon the mix of signals it is receiving (GPS, Wi-Fi, GLONASS, etc.) As a result, we can presume that the option to enable summon has a fairly relaxed fence. Otherwise, the summon option would not come up when you were in fact near the car.

On a related note, the key-fob's summon feature appears to work any time the fob is within range - you certainly don't have to be within 10 feet either. I have successfully used it from more than 200 feet away. (Before anyone admonishes me, I was on the eighth floor of a building, my car was in an empty parking lot, and it was clearly visible.).