Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center damaged my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a new stealth gray model S in mid November. There was some door alignment issues so I took it into the service center to be addressed. The doors were not within Tesla specifications so they agreed to adjust the door for me. At the end of the day I get a voicemail from the service tech saying the car is totally drivable, but there was a minor incident. Turns out there is a big chip missing on my driver door as well as a small dent on the rocker in between the driver and passenger door.

The service center offered to paint it, but since Tesla has no in-house painting it would go through a third-party. I knew there was no way they will be able to match the factory paint so I told him the only option was for them to consider a buyback. The service manager requested that and it took over 30 days for them to get back to me with an answer. They offered me $1000 service credit and touch up paint.

I feel I can’t accept this. It’s a brand new vehicle that they damaged. It’s one thing if I had caused the damage.

My question is, has anybody had any similar situation happen to them? What was the outcome? Or should I just lawyer up? I did opt out of the arbitration agreement within the 30 days.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    865.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 61
I understand they would prefer to do that but it’s a brand new car. They could easily take the vehicle as is, put it for sale as a demo vehicle and make it right for me. It falls within the demo vehicle specs. I don’t see why I need to accept a paint job that won’t match the factory paint. I’ve had cars painted from damage I’ve caused and it’s never exactly the same.

I knew there was no way they will be able to match the factory paint so I told him the only option was for them to consider a buyback.
Your expectations are fantastically unreasonable. They are obliged to fix the car to the condition it was in before it was damaged. That’s it. $1000 service credit is actually a pretty nice gesture all things considered.

It’s not a new car. It’s your car, titled and registered to you, so it cannot be resold as a demo unit.

MSM is not a particularly hard color to match. Your assumption that they can’t possibly do it is silly and self-serving.

Your expectations are fantastically unreasonable. They are obliged to fix the car to the condition it was in before it was damaged. That’s it. $1000 service credit is actually a pretty nice gesture all things considered.

It’s not a new car. It’s your car, titled and registered to you, so it cannot be resold as a demo unit.

MSM is not a particularly hard color to match. Your assumption that they can’t possibly do it is silly and self-serving.
It’s Stealth grey but I appreciate your input. The car had 100 miles on it when they damaged it so it’s a new car in my eyes.

It’s Stealth grey but I appreciate your input. The car had 100 miles on it when they damaged it so it’s a new car in my eyes.
My point was it’s YOUR new car, not Tesla’s. They can’t buy it back from you and resell it as a new car like you suggest.

MSM vs Stealth Gray noted. It doesn’t really change my response though - a dark gray color like that is going to be easy to match.

Things like this happen all the time before cars are delivered to customers and they’re fixed without drama. Tesla wouldn’t even have to disclose something like this to you if it happened before delivery day.

Reactions: Yelobird
I took delivery of a new stealth gray model S in mid November. There was some door alignment issues so I took it into the service center to be addressed. The doors were not within Tesla specifications so they agreed to adjust the door for me. At the end of the day I get a voicemail from the service tech saying the car is totally drivable, but there was a minor incident. Turns out there is a big chip missing on my driver door as well as a small dent on the rocker in between the driver and passenger door.

The service center offered to paint it, but since Tesla has no in-house painting it would go through a third-party. I knew there was no way they will be able to match the factory paint so I told him the only option was for them to consider a buyback. The service manager requested that and it took over 30 days for them to get back to me with an answer. They offered me $1000 service credit and touch up paint.

I feel I can’t accept this. It’s a brand new vehicle that they damaged. It’s one thing if I had caused the damage.

My question is, has anybody had any similar situation happen to them? What was the outcome? Or should I just lawyer up? I did opt out of the arbitration agreement within the 30 days.
Update: The Tesla service center sent my car in for body work to fix the issue I mentioned above. Got it back a couple days ago. A lot of people said it would be an easy match but I look at it and it seems like quite a differnce to me between the driver door that was repainted and the passenger that was factory paint. I've attached a photo for you to determine. Please tell what you think and if you would be happy with this.

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 47
I had the EXACT same issue with rear door...hinge was creaking bad so it finally and reluctantly made me go in to get it fixed knowing they could likely make it worse and not better. Videoed the car before it went in and they took pictures too. One day in the shop and two weeks later I get it back with same size/shape piece of paint missing and in same location. Of course they were just going to deliver it until I went ape$hit and point out the "oops"...of course same exact solution...we can repaint quarter panels (no thanks...you couldn't even fix a door hinge) and we have a great touch up guy who will fill it and blend and you wont even notice after (yeah sure). In the end it looked like my 10 year old used a bottle of touch up paint on the spot and I said enough with the clown show on my car. Im sorry you are going through this disaster and I would never want a repainted vehicle with 100 miles on it and Tesla not making it right but instead making it continuously wrong. Not sure where you go with it but it sure looks like Tesla has a major screw up on their hands now...hopefully they absorb this disaster and get you a new car...but I doubt it.

Update: The Tesla service center sent my car in for body work to fix the issue I mentioned above. Got it back a couple days ago. A lot of people said it would be an easy match but I look at it and it seems like quite a differnce to me between the driver door that was repainted and the passenger that was factory paint. I've attached a photo for you to determine. Please tell what you think and if you would be happy with this.
Ouch, that is way off. I agree with you, this damage on a new car is unacceptable. Even if they repair it to new, there is still the issue of diminished value. How much less is your car worth now that it has had body work? Will it show on your CarFax report? One poster said no big deal, car dealers repair new cars all the time- That might be true, but they have to disclose that. In California it's vehicle code 9991. Unfortunately, you will probably need to lawyer up on this one. Good luck!

They should have resprayed the entire side of the car, at least. That would be standard at any body shop around here that's high enough end to be Tesla certified. If they did less, Tesla probably told them to in an attempt to save money. Just make them repaint it entirely.

One poster said no big deal, car dealers repair new cars all the time- That might be true, but they have to disclose that.
In most cases they do not. It depends on the state but disclosure normally streets when the repair costs 10%, or more, of the vehicle MSRP. And often wheels, tires, and glass are excluded from the costs to meet the disclosure requirements.