Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paul,

I use the bike for commuting to and from the airport along with going to lunch. A typical day is about 60 miles of mixed driving averaging about 45 mph or just under 100 WHr/mile. I could just do this with my first DS, did it easily with my 2013 DS and now it is a breeze with my SR. I really did not need special chargers, extra batteries (power tank) or even a wind screen. I just use the base bike.

As for the grin, my previous bike was an S1000RR. I finally sold it when I realized I simply had no interest in riding it again. I'm like a kid on the SR. It does not have that big whirling four cylinder crankshaft so it flicks from side to side easily. When I stop at a light, I do not get fried by all the hot air rushing up from the ICE. It is always full in the morning so now I never have to look at the gas gauge. For me, it simply does not get any better and, yes, a very similar grin to that provided by the PD.

Paul,

I use the bike for commuting to and from the airport along with going to lunch. A typical day is about 60 miles of mixed driving averaging about 45 mph or just under 100 WHr/mile. I could just do this with my first DS, did it easily with my 2013 DS and now it is a breeze with my SR. I really did not need special chargers, extra batteries (power tank) or even a wind screen. I just use the base bike.

As for the grin, my previous bike was an S1000RR. I finally sold it when I realized I simply had no interest in riding it again. I'm like a kid on the SR. It does not have that big whirling four cylinder crankshaft so it flicks from side to side easily. When I stop at a light, I do not get fried by all the hot air rushing up from the ICE. It is always full in the morning so now I never have to look at the gas gauge. For me, it simply does not get any better and, yes, a very similar grin to that provided by the PD.
Awesome thanks!

I had a very squirrelly launch on my test ride. Tires were cold and brand new for a full launch, but I managed to pull it off! Phew.... Was amazing for sure.

Nice advantage of not getting cooked that you pointed out there, didn't think about that. Awesome. Looking forward to my next bike never burning me (again). :)

You guys are making me crazy, I've spent an hour tonight on reviews of these bikes because of this thread. Arggg, and I was just enjoying my Smart and Tesla, now I have to put this new interest away before I get one!

:redface:

If it makes you feel any better SmartElectric, I've been riding a Zero 2013 FX 5.7 for over a year now and love it. I bought a set of street based wheels that came off the Zero S. Also have the street fork leg (brake caliper side) which I swap in with the street setup. This is needed to support the larger front rotor that's on the street wheel. It for sure gives the bike the extra stopping power that it really needs there for the street. Also so much smoother on the road. I converted the original spoke wheels to full knobbie / dirt riding. The FX is a true wheelie beast for sure! Constantly have people at redlights asking about it too.

Before that Zero I had a 2010 Zero DS (after I bought my Roadster), so one of the early boys. Was not nearly as fast, sick, and didn't have the range near to what the FX offers, nor any regen capability. But it still was fun, especially when there was nothing around like it.

I love the FX since the 2 battery packs are swapable. I have an two extra cube batteries that I can swap out if I want to ride out again which is awesome for dirt riding. I also have two quick chargers and all the necessary Y cables so I can charge both cubes that were pulled off the bike in 30-45mins.

Its also convenient having Zero's manufacturing headquarters living right in my back yard less than 10 miles away. Its nice sine you end up being friends with people who work there due to the close nature.

So where I use the Zero the most, which its ideal, is for my local town/city errands. When I do my routine workout/swim its perfect since I just unplug it and go. Its easier to keep the routine going since the bike is simple, clean, and efficient.

I made a custom removable rack that goes over the fender for cargo and bought the two Orlieb saddle bags for it which I utilize when I do my shopping. Turns out being a great workhorse. But you have to be careful, it wheelies even easier when loaded!!! Its all about that awesome torque. And since I live in California I'm able to lane split legally between cars. That cuts down time big-time when your traveling though town. Its the redlights where that feature is awesome.

Congrats Xenoilphobe on your FX purchase. If you haven't already, you should join the "Zero" motorcycles Facebook group as well as electricmotorcycles.com forum.

Last edited:
i can't wait, I have joined both the forum and Facebook. learning a lot already.

Its highly recommended to pick up at least one quick charger so you can properly balance each battery cube on the FX. The 110v does but its very very slow at doing it and not as good at it either. The bike can run off one cube and you can move it forward or backward depending how you want the weight focused. Positioned in the back you wheelie so much faster/easier. Up front puts more traction over the front wheel. And removing a cube drops the weigh down quite a bit on the bike.

Also contact Zero and read off the numbers off both battery cubes. They had a recall on the 2013 FX and XU batteries that in the worse case scenario, water can enter the pack and cause a short / possibly a fire. You can have the dealer inquire as well. Possibly the dealer had them swapped, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I just bought a quick charger off eBay for $299. not sure if this is the right one or not, but at this price i can buy the correct connector and solder it on myself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Delta-Q...id=100011&rk=1&rkt=5&mehot=lo&sd=191658385978

Both batteries are brand new and replaced during the battery recall earlier this year - thanks for mentioning that - water and lithium don't mix well!!!

I was looking at that after I picked up my chargers. I ended up getting a killer deal with mine, 2 chargers, all the y cables, and such for the cost of one quick charger. I'd post the idea about running the quick charger you picked up on the electric motorcycle forum. I looked at my charger and ran the numbers across with yours. The part numbers are different, so I don't know if that's only the cabling. Also the range at the bottom with the lead acid is different, mine specifies the 30- 180Ah range where yours is 9- 180Ah. All the rest of the numbers check out. I looked at my cable and it looks like the +/- is connected and one small pic which I believe is the BMS on the battery. There could be two other small pins connected, I shined a light in there but couldn't confirm if the female connector was buried deep. Most likely those are not used.

I've been somewhat of an armchair Q-back with electric motorcycles lately. I find it interesting that the Brammo (now Victory) Empulse has an integrated J1772 plug, and Zero only offers accessory external quick-chargers. Someone said Zero passed on on-board fast-chargers due to weight reasons. Although I generally prefer the specs of the Zero, the built-in quick-charging capability of the Empulse would be a positive.

I've been somewhat of an armchair Q-back with electric motorcycles lately. I find it interesting that the Brammo (now Victory) Empulse has an integrated J1772 plug, and Zero only offers accessory external quick-chargers. Someone said Zero passed on on-board fast-chargers due to weight reasons. Although I generally prefer the specs of the Zero, the built-in quick-charging capability of the Empulse would be a positive.

I I thought Zero was going to offer both (J1772 and CHAdeMO) for 2016?

I know there's a way to stack external chargers and use them with CHAdeMO/J1772 adapters, but I don't think they're built in to the bike. If you have any links with updates for the '16 models, please post!

CHAdeMO is an off-board DC output charger. CHAdeMO does not use on onboard charger, nor does it work with AC power ports, like J1772 or the existing one charge port, for onboard charger(s).

CHAdeMO can supply up to 125 amps DC at the moment, and likely 200 amps within 5 years. That will likely provide a peak of up to 116 volts * 125 amps = 14.5kW max charge rate.

Solved:
No way I am spending over $20K for an electric bike - I got my 2013 for $6K and will spend the extra cash adding the extra chargers. estimated at $1K. I also like the look of the post apcolyptic - Mad Max look of the modified charger they added!

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4698.msg31444#msg31444

the ZERO BOXSTER.jpg

Solved:
No way I am spending over $20K for an electric bike - I got my 2013 for $6K and will spend the extra cash adding the extra chargers. estimated at $1K. I also like the look of the post apcolyptic - Mad Max look of the modified charger they added

I think this is a nifty idea but really too bulky for my taste and also it takes away from the FX if you ask me. The FX was not designed to be a long range bike. If you want that I'd go for the SR or an 11.4+ battery pack S/DS. But then the bike turns into a tank with the weight. The thing I love about the FX is that its a very manageable bike in terms of weight. Its around 266lbs with both battery cubes and only 233lbs when running one.

You can always carry a quick charger on a tail rack system or in a back pack if there's a concern about quick charging.

Honestly, I use my 110V on-board charger 99% of the time and typically run both cubes. Reason I picked up two quick chargers was for the fact that I could bring a honda generator, charge up my 2 spare battery cubes as I'm riding the FX. Come back, swap the packs, and ride off again.

Looking to pick up a used SR sometime in the future if I find a deal. That'll be my long range bike, joy bike for riding all through the mountains/etc. I'd still keep the FX for local city / in town commutes as I use it now. Again, being so light with limited bulk around the bike makes it maneuverable and usable.

By the way, did you get everything worked out on your FX? My friend who knows this bike very well saw your post on the Elec Motorcycle Forum and offered to lend a hand. He believes the dealer is just replacing stuff.... If you PM me your number I can forward it to him. He can txt or call you.

You are correct the install on the lower fairing is not a good idea on the FX. I like that it is light weight and this would take away from its off road "slimness" and would change the weigh dynamics.

I like your idea of just throwing the off board charger in a back pack if you need high speed charging...

I'm in the market for a used SR also - may wait until the 2015's come available with the new Showa suspension and Bosch antilock brakes...

I think every is ok with the FX - I'm just impatient - and don't get any information from WOW Motorcycles unless I call them... (having worked for Yamaha for two years - this is no different than how they act post sales).

Let's just say I'm not WOWed with WOW Motorcycles. But I expect to be fully WOWed by the FX!!! Appreciate the offer, but I will sit tight for a week more - think the part is in transit from Zero. It's killing me with this great weather we are having not to take the FX off road!

Still waiting on delivery from Georgia to NOVA. I test drove an 2015 SR I was surprised at how quick it was.. Here is the list of the top bikes that could compete with it. (Assuming the rider knows how to drive and shift consistently - usually less than 25% of drivers). My favorite ride on this list is the VMAX - almost got thrown off it when I worked for Yamaha!!!

By 0–60 mph, 3.5 seconds or less[edit]

Notes specify if test was 0 to 60 mph (0 to 97 km/h) or 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph). For comparison, an object in free fall, without any air resistance, near the Earth's surface accelerates from 0–100 km/h in 2.83 seconds and from 0–60 mph in 2.73 seconds.

Make and modelYear (model)Time (seconds)[SUP][note][/SUP]
Suzuki GSX-R100020052.35[SUP][1][/SUP]
Yamaha VMAX20102.5[SUP][2][/SUP]
BMW S1000R2013–20142.6[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R20122.6[SUP][5][/SUP]
Honda CBR1000RR2008-20142.6[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]
Yamaha YZF-R120152.6[SUP][3][/SUP]
Ducati Panigale20142.6[SUP][3][/SUP]
Yamaha FZ120012.7[SUP][7][/SUP]
Ducati 1198S20102.7[SUP][8][/SUP]
BMW S1000RR20112.70[SUP][9][/SUP]
Suzuki Hayabusa20102.74[SUP][10][/SUP]
Suzuki GSX-R60020032.8[SUP][11][/SUP]
Yamaha YZF-R620032.8[SUP][11][/SUP]
BMW K1300R20102.81[SUP][12][/SUP]
Suzuki GSX-R75020132.9[SUP][13][/SUP]
Ducati Desmosedici RR20062.96[SUP][14][/SUP]
Yamaha YZF-R120102.88[SUP][1][/SUP]
Ducati 1199 Panigale S20132.89[SUP][1][/SUP]
Ducati 99920032.90[SUP][1][/SUP]
Ducati Streetfighter 84820122.9[SUP][15][/SUP]
Suzuki RF90019942.90[SUP][16][/SUP]
Honda CBR900RR19942.90[SUP][16][/SUP]
Ducati 749S20032.90[SUP][11][/SUP]
Honda CBR600RR20032.90[SUP][11][/SUP]
Kawasaki ZX-6R20032.90[SUP][11][/SUP]
Honda CBR1100XX19992.91[SUP][1][/SUP]
Ducati Diavel20112.93[SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]
Kawasaki GPZ900R19843.0[SUP][19][/SUP]
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R19943.0[SUP][16][/SUP]
Suzuki GSX-R110019863.0[SUP][20][/SUP]
Aprilia Tuono RSV-R20033.0[SUP][21][/SUP]
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R20063.06[SUP][1][/SUP]
Kawasaki Ninja H220153.07[SUP][22][/SUP]
Suzuki SV1000s20033.08[SUP][1][/SUP]
Ducati Multistrada 1200S20103.09[SUP][1][/SUP]
Honda CBR600F4i20033.1[SUP][11][/SUP]
Buell 1125R20083.15[SUP][1][/SUP]
Triumph Speed Triple20063.25[SUP][23][/SUP]
Honda V65 Sabre19843.3[SUP][24][/SUP]
Triumph Rocket III Roadster20103.3[SUP][2][/SUP]
Kawasaki ZZ-R60019903.3[SUP][25][/SUP]
Honda CBR60019903.3[SUP][25][/SUP]
Ducati 1299 Panigale S20153.33[SUP][22][/SUP]
Triumph Street Triple R20093.36[SUP][1][/SUP]
Suzuki TL1000S19973.4[SUP][1][/SUP]
Triumph Daytona 90019943.4[SUP][16][/SUP]
Honda CBR600F19873.4[SUP][26][/SUP]
Ducati Sport100020003.44[SUP][1][/SUP]
Suzuki GSX600F19903.5[SUP][25][/SUP]

2013 Zero FX was delivered at 1230AM this morning - just got back from my first ride -- Holy Sznizzel this thing is a wheelie machine! Caught me by surprise on a launch! Anyway - best part was it was 1AM and I was able to blast through my neighborhood without waking everyone up!