Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X90D battery being replaced with 75kwh battery under warranty!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friendly note from a TMC moderator: It looks like you posted the same thread to both the Model S and Model X forums, but nowhere did you say which model of car you were asking about. Could you please say which, so I can delete/merge the "other" thread?

Thanks,

Bruce.
Apologies Bruce, probably makes sense to merge both into here. Must've duplicate posted it in the other forum by accident. Many thanks!

Reactions: David Harvey
Ah okay, hopefully somebody super techy on batteries can assist us here in that case. The question is essentially:

Does a brand new 75kwh battery retrofitted into the Model X 90D, allow the car to perform equally (in terms of acceleration etc) to the original 90kwh battery which has degraded to the point it has only 75kwhs available to charge (assuming all figures are for usable capacity for simplicity)
The battery pack label should answer all you questions regarding which size pack. How to read pack label

Last edited:
Apologies Bruce, probably makes sense to merge both into here. Must've duplicate posted it in the other forum by accident. Many thanks!

No worries! OK, now if I had actually had my tea this morning first, I would have noticed in the Model X post you did, you actually did say "Model X". So. I merged both of the threads together and all the posts are in the thread in the Model X forum...discussion should continue there because that's the car to which this applies. I put in a redirect from the thread in the Model S forum to help people that were reading that one.

I don't have anything to contibute to the subject but this is a pretty interesting situation to say the least.

Now off to make a cup of tea...

Bruce.

Does a brand new 75kwh battery retrofitted into the Model X 90D, allow the car to perform equally (in terms of acceleration etc) to the original 90kwh battery which has degraded to the point it has only 75kwhs available to charge (assuming all figures are for usable capacity for simplicity)

An "uncorked" 75D has more power and faster acceleration than a 90D.

And a bit older 90 pack can easily have less than 70kWh of nominal capacity (by Scan My Tesla).. so it's entirely possible that a good quality 75 pack will have both more capacity and more power.

Still it feels like an odd choice for Tesla to make, as it sure does sound like a "downgrade" even if it really isn't.. Like, market value of 75 is likely lower than 90? And if they don't change the badging, what happens if new owner finds "75kWh" written in the battery sticker?

An "uncorked" 75D has more power and faster acceleration than a 90D.

And a bit older 90 pack can easily have less than 70kWh of nominal capacity (by Scan My Tesla).. so it's entirely possible that a good quality 75 pack will have both more capacity and more power.

Still it feels like an odd choice for Tesla to make, as it sure does sound like a "downgrade" even if it really isn't.. Like, market value of 75 is likely lower than 90? And if they don't change the badging, what happens if new owner finds "75kWh" written in the battery sticker?

Oh wow that's super interesting...

So the number is purely capacity, but need not have any relevance the power output. What exactly dictates the power output in Tesla's case?

Agreed that in any case it's a strange methodology on perception at least, especially where the owner doesn't know the justification themselves, seems like it was just done by Tesla, which seems sketchy to me of Tesla

No worries! OK, now if I had actually had my tea this morning first, I would have noticed in the Model X post you did, you actually did say "Model X". So. I merged both of the threads together and all the posts are in the thread in the Model X forum...discussion should continue there because that's the car to which this applies. I put in a redirect from the thread in the Model S forum to help people that were reading that one.

I don't have anything to contibute to the subject but this is a pretty interesting situation to say the least.

Now off to make a cup of tea...

Bruce.
haha oh brilliant, thanks Bruce, I didn't take my tea either seemingly!

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
I've never heard of Tesla officially having different display in the car vs pack size
So it's quite possible it's actually 90 pack in 75 shell, that has happened before
Best to charge to 100% n see the range or check with SMT
Performance of 75 is only 0.1s slower from 90, judging by numbers from used inventory
75d cars used to be much slower but Tesla uncocked them all long time ago

I've never heard of Tesla officially having different display in the car vs pack size
So it's quite possible it's actually 90 pack in 75 shell, that has happened before
Best to charge to 100% n see the range or check with SMT
Performance of 75 is only 0.1s slower from 90, judging by numbers from used inventory
75d cars used to be much slower but Tesla uncocked them all long time ago
'90 pack in a 75 shell' - meaning you think it could be that the replacement is after all a 90kwh battery with the wrong label ('75kwh')

Would it be strange that the invoice stated 75kwh in that case though?

Battery pack cases are the same so Tesla sometimes mixes them
75 has 14 modules, 90/100 has 16
100 modules have 2 extra rows of cells
Someone posted before that label was wrong
Some remans don't even have a label
Invoice normally should be correct but if this pack was sent as reman 90 with wrong label it's possible someone typed invoice using label...

Attachments

• IMG_4343.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 5
Managed to get a photo of the label...
Well done. This appears to be a battery which was new in April 2022 but has been remanufactured but there is no 'R1' suffix. I suspect that Tesla have changed their labelling sequence as I have not seen one before starting: 'TL22'. Normally it would start 'T17A' for a battery brand new in January 2017. I am intrigued and I hope that more knowledgeable members here can clarify.

Well done. This appears to be a battery which was new in April 2022 but has been remanufactured but there is no 'R1' suffix. I suspect that Tesla have changed their labelling sequence as I have not seen one before starting: 'TL22'. Normally it would start 'T17A' for a battery brand new in January 2017. I am intrigued and I hope that more knowledgeable members here can clarify.
I read tl22 as Dec 2022.

Either way, that sticker says this is a new pack not a reman - it's missing the R1 suffix.... So why then would they have installed it into an original 90D car? That's bizarre.
Tesla doesn't put the R# suffix on the serial number anymore. But the description on the top of the label includes RMN, indicating reman, which matches the description on the invoice.

Not necessarily. It just means higher current for the same output.
It doesn't work that way. Current drawn is actually less, because the voltage is lower. It is a lower voltage pack with fewer modules and fewer cells per module. It is going to produce less power. You can see that in the specs for the vehicle, lower acceleration and lower range.

It doesn't work that way. Current drawn is actually less, because the voltage is lower.
This is not how electricity works. If the car wants a certain level of power the pack can just provide more current, up to the limit of the bus bar/conductors/cells.

It is a lower voltage pack with fewer modules and fewer cells per module.
There are not fewer cells per module.
It is going to produce less power.
It will have a lower max theoretical output based on the max discharge rate of the cells, yes. Whether or not the allowable max power output is anywhere close to the max discharge rate is what actually matters.
You can see that in the specs for the vehicle, lower acceleration and lower range.
Acceleration differentiation between models, particularly for non-performance models, is as much a marketing consideration as it is an electrical one.

Last edited:
And in the case of this scenario where a 90kwh 400v has been replaced by a 75kwh 350v, do you have a feeling what will have happened to power output?
I really don’t know. I assume a 75kwh pack can put out enough power to provide basically the same performance as a 90D.

There have been instances of performance Model S cars like the P85D getting 350v replacement batteries. Their performance appears to be largely unaffected.