Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X90D battery being replaced with 75kwh battery under warranty!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll make a note, I HAVE seen Tesla install alternate packs temporarily, when they've had one in stock, that way the owner can be on their way while the correct was ordered and waiting for delivery. Not as much these days as in the past, but still done. Some are even labeled as Loaner Packs.
Interesting thought, perhaps this is what was intended but they never thought to inform the owner and then just let it lapse entirely.The current owner seems to be none the wiser for it.

How close are you/the owner to a service center? Could you both go there and try to get info/it figured out? They will not release any info to you alone (sure this is obvious). Also consider how you explain this without knowing when you sell - if you don't have all the info...

The 90 is a 400v Battery, the 75 is only 350V. Thus lower output
while generally higher voltage can produce better performance due to lower current required, in this case to create magnetic field in the drive unit, that statement is not fully true
the 'new' 90kwh pack is also 350v due to 14 modules but it has more cells so its the same capacity
tesla actually programmed firmware to allow more current (since voltage is lower) to drive units per wk post somewhere, which makes sense

another point is that any EV pack will have lower voltage as it discharges
400v is only at 100% charge, 4.2v x 96 = ~403
at say 1% u only get ~307= 3.2 x 96
so drive units are designed to operate at large voltage swings n as battery discharges, software/firmware compensates by increasing current
of course ur gonna be limited by wires n IGBTs...

legacy cars have weaker compensation, u can feel power decrease towards lower SOC
plaid, i heard, got better design n pulls equally at high or low SOC...