Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X90D battery being replaced with 75kwh battery under warranty!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This thread contains a merge of posted to two different forums.

Hello all, new to the forum here since as I'm currently looking to purchase my first Tesla, a Used Model X here in the UK.

I've found one which just came up with a replacement battery after a U029 error... but sadly I discovered that they only got a remanufactured battery under warranty (not new).

But reman aside, I just wondered if anybody has thoughts on this... they appear to have been fitted with a 75KWH battery as the replacement, despite the fact the car is supposed to be a 90D...

- now I know they can fit a battery which is only just as good as the battery they are replacing at the time before error popped up... but has anybody heard of replacing with an outright smaller capacity battery outright? Surely this will result in a performance reduction, no?

Other thoughts which come to mind are that since the car was originally only sitting on around 45,000 miles, it seems unlikely that battery would have degraded so far prior to the U029 error occurred such that it's likely that a 75KWH even at full capacity, would be at least equivalent to the original battery's range.

Am I missing something? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, new to the forum here since as I'm currently looking to purchase my first Tesla, a Used 90D here in the UK.

I've found one which just came up with a replacement battery after a U029 error... but sadly I discovered that they only got a remanufactured battery under warranty (not new).

But reman aside, I just wondered if anybody has thoughts on this... they appear to have been fitted with a 75KWH battery as the replacement, despite the fact the car is supposed to be a 90D...

- now I know they can fit a battery which is only just as good as the battery they are replacing at the time before error popped up... but has anybody heard of replacing with an outright smaller capacity battery outright? Surely this will result in a performance reduction, no?

Other thoughts which come to mind are that since the car was originally only sitting on around 45,000 miles, it seems unlikely that battery would have degraded so far prior to the U029 error occurred such that it's likely that a 75KWH even at full capacity, would be at least equivalent to the original battery's range.

Many thanks!
Interesting. I have not heard of such a thing happening before but I do know that when Tesla fit a remanufactured battery, they usually arrange for the replacement to have the same range as the displaced item. A lot will depend upon what Tesla have in stock. You might want to obtain a photo of the battery label and evidence of the warranty on the replaced item. The battery numbers can be a little misleading ...

Can you inquire with the original owner?
It may be that the replacement happened after warranty coverage had lapsed.
If that happened, the owner may have opted for a 75kWh as it would be less expensive.

And yes, a 75kWh battery pack will have less range and performance than a 90kWh pack. Still plenty, in my opinion, but that is a consideration.

Thanks David.

Do you have thoughts upon how this might affect the 'performance' of the car (BHP/0-60 etc).

I am of the impression that warranty replacement batteries benefit from no further warranty extension beyond the original battery date/mileage.

The current owner (seller) has shared with me the invoice for the warranty repair and the part used is described as follows:
ASY,HV BATT,75KWH,CAT1,REMAN,SX (1102979-02-A)

Can you inquire with the original owner?
It may be that the replacement happened after warranty coverage had lapsed.
If that happened, the owner may have opted for a 75kWh as it would be less expensive.

And yes, a 75kWh battery pack will have less range and performance than a 90kWh pack. Still plenty, in my opinion, but that is a consideration.

Hey thanks for the reply Zythryn... the original owner seems a little uncertain (perhaps not too technically minded).

The invoice he shared seems to allude to it being replaced under warranty:

PAY TYPE:HV Battery Limited Warranty

Given the performance reduction, I just can't see how Tesla could justify the replacement of the 90KWH battery for a 75KWH battery... no matter if the range were comparable to the degraded original 90KWH.... unless performance degrades in line with battery range?? (something I had never assumed)(

Hi Les, not been able to inspect battery label as yet, but the invoice for the warranty replacement has been shared and that shows the following information which seems to suggest it is indeed a 75kwh battery... and a remanufactured one at that, so heaven even knows what condition that itself is in...

Agreed on your thinking about the 45k miles too. Just seems all kinda off right.

Funnily enough I just had my membership to that group approved after a long wait...! Thanks for the suggestion!!
As far as the car having a 75 replaced under warranty by Tesla for a 90 car, that is odd. Could be only thing Tesla had available at the time. Could be mistake by Tesla (I'm aware of 2-3 pack replacement size mistakes by Tesla).

Do both dashes display 75 or 90? What does pack label say? Does rated range reflect 75 or 90?

Could be it's actually a 90 but Tesla's repair paperwork is in error. Let us know.

Reactions: David Harvey
Hello all, new to the forum here since as I'm currently looking to purchase my first Tesla, a Used 90D here in the UK.

Many thanks!
Could it a be a 75 with a 90 badge put on?

Reactions: NV Ray
Thanks David.

Do you have thoughts upon how this might affect the 'performance' of the car (BHP/0-60 etc).

I am of the impression that warranty replacement batteries benefit from no further warranty extension beyond the original battery date/mileage.

The current owner (seller) has shared with me the invoice for the warranty repair and the part used is described as follows:
I'm not sure about the performance of the car as the 75 kWh battery is only 350V compared with 400V for the 90 battery. Someone with more knowledge than me might suggest that the 75 kWh battery and related fuses may not be able to deliver the power quick enough. But as the car is not a 'P' model you might be OK. Only Tesla will be able to give a definitive answer. Regarding the battery warranty, you will need to secure documentation from the owner as to the warranty expiry date on the new battery. In the UK, it is normal for the warranty on the replaced item to expire when the overall warranty runs out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Many thanks!

Friendly note from a TMC moderator: It looks like you posted the same thread to both the Model S and Model X forums, but nowhere did you say which model of car you were asking about. Could you please say which, so I can delete/merge the "other" thread?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Could it a be a 75 with a 90 badge put on?
I did wonder, but the main computer shows 90D, so seems unlikely - also, why go to all that trouble assuming you could change the display, only to then tell me the battery got changed and share the paperwork so freely which shows it got the 75khw battery installed as the replacement. I honestly get the feeling the current owner who made the warranty claim just isn't clued up and probably just went with the flow... the sort of person to whom 'a battery, is a battery, is a battery' 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure about the performance of the car as the 75 kWh battery is only 350V compared with 400V for the 90 battery. Someone with more knowledge than me might suggest that the 75 kWh battery and related fuses may not be able to deliver the power quick enough. But as the car is not a 'P' model you might be OK. Only Tesla will be able to give a definitive answer. Regarding the battery warranty, you will need to secure documentation from the owner as to the warranty expiry date on the new battery. In the UK, it is normal for the warranty on the replaced item to expire when the overall warranty runs out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Ah okay, hopefully somebody super techy on batteries can assist us here in that case. The question is essentially:

Does a brand new 75kwh battery retrofitted into the Model X 90D, allow the car to perform equally (in terms of acceleration etc) to the original 90kwh battery which has degraded to the point it has only 75kwhs available to charge (assuming all figures are for usable capacity for simplicity)