Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wishlist: Roaster R45 4.0 battery from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when R80 was released, v3.0, it made sense for Tesla to want to increase the range of the Roadster.
That was a long time ago, and in 2023 I would like to see a 4.0 offer from Tesla offering a short range replacement option for the Roadster (R45?).

In some distant future, likely a decade, I would like to see a solid state battery option for the Roadster, where similar range to the original is achieved, but weight is shaved to get as close to the ICE Elise as possible. Until then, since all will likely have to replace the original pack by that time, or most in any case, who would like to see a lighter pack offered from Tesla? (as opposed to the R80 they just can't seem to get right)

Back when R80 was released, v3.0, it made sense for Tesla to want to increase the range of the Roadster.
That was a long time ago, and in 2023 I would like to see a 4.0 offer from Tesla offering a short range replacement option for the Roadster (R45?).

In some distant future, likely a decade, I would like to see a solid state battery option for the Roadster, where similar range to the original is achieved, but weight is shaved to get as close to the ICE Elise as possible. Until then, since all will likely have to replace the original pack by that time, or most in any case, who would like to see a lighter pack offered from Tesla? (as opposed to the R80 they just can't seem to get right)
A lighter battery would require retuning the suspension, traction control, etc.
Other than that, given the past 15 years of battery improvement, one should definitely be able to come up with a pack with the same electrical performance but less weight.
Colin Chapmans Mantra Still holds..... "Simplify and add Lightness" for Performance, not only on the straights but also in corners.
Also why 650kg / 1400 lbs #LotusElon was created
I think it was "Simplicate and add lightness"
Don't forget that Colin Chapman also said something to the effect that "Any car that lasts a foot past the finish line is over-weight". Do you really want your car to die as it crosses the finish line?
Colin Chapman's mantras are generally good guidance for efficiency geeks though.

A lighter battery would require retuning the suspension, traction control, etc.
Other than that, given the past 15 years of battery improvement, one should definitely be able to come up with a pack with the same electrical performance but less weight.

I think it was "Simplicate and add lightness"
Don't forget that Colin Chapman also said something to the effect that "Any car that lasts a foot past the finish line is over-weight". Do you really want your car to die as it crosses the finish line?
Colin Chapman's mantras are generally good guidance for efficiency geeks though.
I would love to upgrade the suspension if the lighter battery was an option. I considered upgrading the suspension several times recently, on my low milage car, but made a final call against it in case a lighter battery comes up, since that setup would have to change.

Not sure on the traction, and how that would work. It’s already finicky on the 1.5, and has to ‘re-learn’ the aftermarket wheels after the car sits for any period of time. It learns quickly fortunately. Not sure how much the TC would be needed if the car became very light :D