Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
?!? How can you check the vehicle coolant? The only fluid I'm aware that we can access is the wiper washer fluid.

Technically, the wiper fluid is the only user-accessible fluid in the car, but you can pop off the the cover panel (the one nearest the firewall/windshield) without too much difficulty and then visually inspect the coolant tank. I would assume this is how Duck checked his.

Technically, the wiper fluid is the only user-accessible fluid in the car, but you can pop off the the cover panel (the one nearest the firewall/windshield) without too much difficulty and then visually inspect the coolant tank. I would assume this is how Duck checked his.

Is it just me, or is it actually a little awkward to try to get at the windshield wiper fluid reservoir with a gallon bottle of fluid and a funnel? I did this for the first time a couple of days ago, and found there was no way to do it from the side of the car, because the frunk arm blocked access. So I had to do it from the front of the car, leaning all the way forward over the frunk, and filling from the other side. It certainly wasn't all THAT difficult, but it also wasn't easy. I guess a funnel with a hose on the end would make it easier for next time. Anyone have any other tricks to make filling the wiper reservoir a little easier? (Growing longer arms isn't really an option.)

Yes that is exactly what I did. Car still at service and no word yet. I do know I have new firmware as I got the app message.

Ended up being a plastic coolant hose fitting that was leaking slowly. All 4 tire pressure sensors replaced again. Hopefully that will eliminate the "Tire Pressure system needs service" warning message which I have had intermittently since I got the car 2 years ago. They gave me firmware .140. Drove a newish P85 loaner (on .114 if I can recall) and in the mornings had the snowflake on an 80% full battery 3 days in a row as I could not preheat with the app. Can you preheat without it?

All 4 tire pressure sensors replaced again. Hopefully that will eliminate the "Tire Pressure system needs service" warning message which I have had intermittently since I got the car 2 years ago.

I've had the receiver, antenna and probably 6 sensors replaced now for the same issue. The first time they replaced one that identified as faulty along with all the other internal gear. The next time they replaced all 4 sensors and just the other day they replaced one of the new 4 that had gone bad. So far, so good. Interestingly the after-market sensors I got from Tire Rack on my summer rims have worked flawlessly. They will initialize after driving just a few hundred feet whereas when I put the Tesla rims on, I have to drive for miles and make several attempts with the Reset Sensors button to get them to initialize.

Can you preheat without it?

The only way would be to go out to the car and leave the door slightly ajar. The heat will come on and stay on if you do this.

You just can't charge while in camping mode... :(

Yes, I think this should be addressed somehow.

On a ski trip we stopped at a campground at 3am to charge and it was 10 deg F out so we wanted the heat on while we took a nap.

We got cold after an hour and I couldn't wake the car up by tapping on the screen or lifting my butt off the seat, so I opened the door to wake the car up and set off the alarm. The fob was in my jeans pocket, which was in the back seat, so I had to dig in the dark at 4:00 am for the fob to turn the alarm off. The one family that was in the camper next to the spot we were charging in was not happy at all.

You just can't charge while in camping mode... :(

Never understood why you can't charge in camping mode. The car is in Park (it shouldn't matter whether you do it from the stock or the center screen.) The only way to put the car in drive from camping mode is the same as putting it in drive any other time. Plus with the charge port open, you wouldn't be able to put it in drive accidentally.

Camping mode (Neutral + Parking brake) works even if you leave the car and lock the doors.

Cool. The only problem with it is that the DRLs stay on and in Canada, there's no way to over-ride that like in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

We got cold after an hour and I couldn't wake the car up by tapping on the screen or lifting my butt off the seat, so I opened the door to wake the car up and set off the alarm.

Interesting. I was charging and napping in the cold about a year ago and found I could wake the car up and get heat on again by just tapping the 17" screen. Tapping the brake pedal would also work, but it put the car into drive mode. I wonder if firmware upgrades since then have changed this behavior?