Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to French Alps - winter tyres AND chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Looking for thoughts on winter tyres/chains for driving to the French Alps this winter. I'm aware that French legislation requires either winter tyres or chains.

I have just put on a set of full winters on the MY LR (Michelin Pilot Alpin).
Wondering if I need chains too or whether the tyres will suffice. Does anyone have recent experience with significant snow and relying on winter tyres only (no chains/socks)?

Thanks

The Pilot Alpin are very good winter tyres. If you stick to main roads it's unlikely you'll need chains. The locals salt and grit roads constantly. Which resort are you going to?
If it puts your mind at ease, you can always carry a pair of inexpensive composites such as Michelin Easygrip to get out of an extreme situation, socks would usually be worse when fitted to a proper winter tyre.

Don't forget to use the Off-Road assist setting on your MY when you'll encounter heavy snow on the road, and to use Slip Start mode if you get stuck

Last edited:
Reactions: loop68
In most circumstances winter tyres and an All Wheel Drive car like your MYLR will be fine. But if the snow conditions are exceptionally bad there is a chance that local police will require you to fit chains (or snow socks) even if you have winter tyres fitted. I’ve seen it happen a couple of times when conditions have been very bad. If you don’t have chains you are asked to turn around.

I have a couple of pairs of snow socks in the car. Hope and expect not to use them, but they are there for use if conditions are dire, including if directed to by local police.

Reactions: loop68
In most circumstances winter tyres and an All Wheel Drive car like your MYLR will be fine. But if the snow conditions are exceptionally bad there is a chance that local police will require you to fit chains (or snow socks) even if you have winter tyres fitted. I’ve seen it happen a couple of times when conditions have been very bad. If you don’t have chains you are asked to turn around.

I have a couple of pairs of snow socks in the car. Hope and expect not to use them, but they are there for use if conditions are dire, including if directed to by local police.
+1 for snow socks. I always keep a couple of pairs in the car in winter just in case. I have only been in a car when they were used once but they do seem to do a good job.

+1 for snow socks. I always keep a couple of pairs in the car in winter just in case. I have only been in a car when they were used once but they do seem to do a good job.
They’re not as good as chains, but I’ve found that in an AWD car with decent winter tyres it’s rare that you need to resort to chains (only twice I’ve had to do that, in quite a lot of driving in snow), so snow socks are a pretty good alternative as an emergency measure. The main drawback is that you shouldn’t really drive on them for long distance as they can split or shred relatively easily.

They’re not as good as chains, but I’ve found that in an AWD car with decent winter tyres it’s rare that you need to resort to chains (only twice I’ve had to do that, in quite a lot of driving in snow), so snow socks are a pretty good alternative as an emergency measure. The main drawback is that you shouldn’t really drive on them for long distance as they can split or shred relatively easily.
They are not as durable as chains. They are better on ice but not as good on deep snow. However they are cheaper, lighter and a lot easier to fit and generally good enough.

Looking for thoughts on winter tyres/chains for driving to the French Alps this winter.

I've swapped on Winter tyres (fitted November until February) for decades. We stopped flying, to skiing, and have driven (French alps) once or twice a winter for at least 20 years. We've had a number of occasions where there was packed snow all the way from Moutier up to the resort. Gendarms pulling everyone over to get them to put chains on, wife leans out of window and says "Pneus Hiver" (that's as good as our French gets!) and they waved us on. Didn't care whether that was "That's good enough" or "Mad Brit, don't care" :) but either way I have found winter tyres remarkable sure-footed.

One one such occasion we were in convoy with a Range Rover with chains. Whilst he made reasonably good progress, compared to other cars on chains, it was nothing like what we did with Pneus Hiver - and on that occasion it was a FWD Alhambra; doing it in the AWD MS is better still. We have always sailed past everyone else using chains going up the mountain, so my main reason for not using them is that you can't get on with it. Still have to be careful slowing down, but on the uphill leg, at least, gravity is helping and being able to overtake all the chain-slow-coaches saved us a lot of time. None of them can overtake at all, so all restricted to slowest vehicle in group.

There's always a lot of traffic heading for the resorts we use, so a fresh massive fall would be cleared in reasonable time, and then compressed by other traffic, so if it was such that we needed even more traction I think we would prefer to wait a few hours, rather than attempt it.

If you are new to Winter Tyres its like night-and-day compared to "others"

Majority of times we've been its been black tarmac, until in the resort ... but the Winters just mean you don't have to do chains for the last bit, or "getting around" if you decided to nip to an adjacent resort for the day and so on.

Reactions: Doudeau
I've swapped on Winter tyres (fitted November until February) for decades. We stopped flying, to skiing, and have driven (French alps) once or twice a winter for at least 20 years. We've had a number of occasions where there was packed snow all the way from Moutier up to the resort. Gendarms pulling everyone over to get them to put chains on, wife leans out of window and says "Pneus Hiver" (that's as good as our French gets!) and they waved us on. Didn't care whether that was "That's good enough" or "Mad Brit, don't care" :) but either way I have found winter tyres remarkable sure-footed.

One one such occasion we were in convoy with a Range Rover with chains. Whilst he made reasonably good progress, compared to other cars on chains, it was nothing like what we did with Pneus Hiver - and on that occasion it was a FWD Alhambra; doing it in the AWD MS is better still. We have always sailed past everyone else using chains going up the mountain, so my main reason for not using them is that you can't get on with it. Still have to be careful slowing down, but on the uphill leg, at least, gravity is helping and being able to overtake all the chain-slow-coaches saved us a lot of time. None of them can overtake at all, so all restricted to slowest vehicle in group.

There's always a lot of traffic heading for the resorts we use, so a fresh massive fall would be cleared in reasonable time, and then compressed by other traffic, so if it was such that we needed even more traction I think we would prefer to wait a few hours, rather than attempt it.

If you are new to Winter Tyres its like night-and-day compared to "others"

Majority of times we've been its been black tarmac, until in the resort ... but the Winters just mean you don't have to do chains for the last bit, or "getting around" if you decided to nip to an adjacent resort for the day and so on.
I agree they are amazing on snow but I fitted some for my one and only road trip to the alps and they were having a heatwave. It was over 20degrees while driving on the Motorway around Paris and they did not feels quite so good under those circumstances.
I also stopped using them in the UK for the same reason. More days when it was too hot for them than cold enough to benefit. Driving on twisty Welsh A roads with full winter tyres when its 15-20 degrees I found rather unsettling.
Now I just keep autosocks for the 2 days a decade when they might be needed in the midlands.

I think somewhere above 10C (maybe 15C?) the benefit of Winters stops, and is replaced with increased tyre wear :(

Skiing in February is probably fine, but for March you'd only want them in the resort - which is a bit of aa challenge!
Yeah. Tell that to February 2019! I thought my winter tyres were going to melt.

1701876626397.png

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner

This hits the nail on the head - Do you need them know but without them you may get forced to turn around in really bad conditions. I've got all seasons on but also will be taking chains just in case. For the cost of the holiday it's only a small cost to know you shouldn't have any problems getting into resort.... worse case CAMP mode ahoy :D

So, I recently kitted out my MY LR with the Michelin Pilot Alpin winters, and let me tell you, they're nothing short of spectacular. Here's the scoop on tackling the snowy mountain roads:

Winter Tire Wizardry: These Michelin Pilot Alpins are like the superheroes of winter tires. They grip the snow like it's their playground, offering impeccable traction and control. I've confidently navigated through some serious snowfall without a hitch.

French Alps-Ready: From my research, having robust winter tires like the Pilot Alpin should check all the boxes for French regulations. It's like having a golden ticket for your Model Y to waltz through the winter wonderland.

Chains for Extra Assurance: While winter tires are the stars, a little backup never hurts. Enter Tesery's Tesla Snow Chains – sleek, easy to slap on, and providing that extra layer of security for extreme conditions.

Peaceful Cruising: Driving in the Alps, especially during winter, demands confidence. With winter tires doing their thing and Tesery's snow chains ready in the wings, you're not just driving; you're cruising with peace of mind.

In a nutshell, your winter tires should handle most scenarios, but having Tesery's snow chains stashed away is like having a secret weapon – you might not call on it often, but when you do, it's a game-changer. Enjoy the Alpine adventure and safe travels!