Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective Model 3 RWD purchase and snow/winter driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Because of the affordability, I've been seriously considering a discounted Model 3 RWD. I live in eastern Washington, where we average about 45 inches of snow annually, with heavy snowfall years maybe double that amount. I'm currently driving a Leaf with Blizzaks for winter driving, and my wife drives a 2002 Jetta, also with Blizzaks. Both of these cars get around well in all but the worst conditions over the past 10 years. However, in the 90's I had a Honda Civic that was hamstrung for snow driving by minimal ground clearance. I'm concerned about the Model 3 RWD's winter driving abilities for the same reason.

I'm looking for testimonials, either yea or nee, regarding the Model 3 RWD suitability for winter driving. Please advise, and thanks.

Hello all. Because of the affordability, I've been seriously considering a discounted Model 3 RWD. I live in eastern Washington, where we average about 45 inches of snow annually, with heavy snowfall years maybe double that amount. I'm currently driving a Leaf with Blizzaks for winter driving, and my wife drives a 2002 Jetta, also with Blizzaks. Both of these cars get around well in all but the worst conditions over the past 10 years. However, in the 90's I had a Honda Civic that was hamstrung for snow driving by minimal ground clearance. I'm concerned about the Model 3 RWD's winter driving abilities for the same reason.

I'm looking for testimonials, either yea or nee, regarding the Model 3 RWD suitability for winter driving. Please advise, and thanks.
I can’t really speak to the experience of driving in snow, but the Model 3 only has 0.4” less ground clearance than a Leaf (with space to make that up with a 27” tire if you really want).

Upvote 0
Lindenwood, thanks for your reply. You prompted me to research ground clearance, and I found the 2002 Jetta listed at 5.2 inches, the 20213 Leaf listed at 6.3 inches, and the 2023 Model 3 listed at 5.5 inches. Are you joking about the 27" tire suggestion, or is that a typo?

Upvote 0
Plenty, and I really mean plenty of people drive RWD model 3s in Quebec where we can get 140-200 inches of snow per winter. No, they are not as great as AWD but those people manage and only few get stuck. The traction and stability control systems are excellent so you shouldn't spin the car around like old RWDs.
Excellent winter tires are obviously recommended. Although Blizzaks are good, as well as a few others, the concensus here is that the best is Nokian Hakkapelliitas, for our climate. Obviously your conditions are different.

Upvote 0
Lindenwood, thanks for your reply. You prompted me to research ground clearance, and I found the 2002 Jetta listed at 5.2 inches, the 20213 Leaf listed at 6.3 inches, and the 2023 Model 3 listed at 5.5 inches. Are you joking about the 27" tire suggestion, or is that a typo?
Ah. I googled “Nissan Leaf ground clearance” and got 5.9” :p .

Not a typo. Factory tires are 26.3-26.5,” and up to 27.0” fit with very few exceptions.

Upvote 0
Comparing Jetta and model 3 ground clearance just by headline numbers is likely misleading somewhat. On a Jetta it's likely driven by some suspension/driveline/exhaust piece sticking out. The rest of the underbody has a ton more clearance on the Jetta. On the 3, that number is pretty much the distance between the battery pack and ground the whole way in the middle. That pack is also pretty good at packing the snow under the car, so, if you run into a deep snow you better have momentum to clear that patch. Or you'd be calling in for a tow. I've been stuck in a Performance.

The Leaf and the Jetta also have ~60% of the weight over driven wheels, while the 3 has about 50%, a significant grip disadvantage.

If OP lives in an urban environment where they clear snow quickly, RWD 3 would work ok. If the snow lingers, it could get tricky. If there are significant hills involved (Eastern WA sound like there would be), I'd skip the RWD.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe and XPsionic
Upvote 0
Are you joking about the 27" tire suggestion, or is that a typo?
He's talking tire diameter, not rim diameter.
Something like 225/50/18 would make a great winter tire. I'd skip the Hakkas, the days of when they offered considerable performance benefits over other winter tires are gone. These days they are just one of the top choices, while costing considerably more.

Reactions: El joe and XPsionic
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your thoughtful input. Apologies for not posting sooner - it's been quite a week. Long story short, after test driving a Model Y again (first time was back in Feb. 2023), we pulled the plug on the Model 3 RWD. I find the current Model 3 discount pricing extremely compelling, but I also now believe that, for us, the Model Y form factor and AWD justify the price differential (although) we will probably still be looking at running a winter specific tire on a Model Y for snow season).

Upvote 0
I drive a lowered LR RWD through Canadian winters. It's manageable with a really good set of snow tires but when driving through deep snow you really have to manage your momentum and choose your lines carefully. I've only ever been stuck once, which was coming into the parking lot of the shop, 14-16" inches of fresh untouched heavy snow, but I have had a few close calls on heavy snowfall days going out on the roads before the plows can do their thing.

For reference my battery is about 2" to 2.5" off the pavement.

Upvote 0
Hey gang😊 I Live in the Midwest USA, and thinking about the rear wheel drive version. Wondering how it is on snow. I would probably get winter tires for it if that would help. Also trying to decide whether to order now or wait until the car gets updated in a few months. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Hey gang😊 I Live in the Midwest USA, and thinking about the rear wheel drive version. Wondering how it is on snow. I would probably get winter tires for it if that would help. Also trying to decide whether to order now or wait until the car gets updated in a few months. Thanks for your help!
My friend drives his SR with winter tires in Toronto winters and hasn’t had any issues. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Personally I've driven with RWD in northern Canada for almost 2 decades and only gotten stuck like 3 times. It's fine if you're used to driving RWD and know how to conserve momentum, pick lines with more traction and not park at sloped spaces, and maybe stay home/take a different car on the really bad days.

If budget allows I'd pick AWD for any place that snows for more than one month a year, especially for drivers who panic at the slightest bit of wheel spin/sliding feeling from the cars. That said, way too many people drive AWD cars with summer tires or terrible all seasons in winter conditions, so my recommendation is as follows:

Low budget = RWD + great all season tires like DWS 06+
Lowish budget = RWD + winter tires on separate rims
Medium budget = AWD + great all season tires
High budget = AWD + winter tires on separate rims

Never do = Any wheel drive with summer tires or all season tires that don't have good snow rating

Reactions: Technokrat
Upvote 0