Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving/Snow Accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, first time post and excited to be here! I’ve had my model YLR almost a month now, and living in Colorado it can be snowy and icy. My brain went hmm regenerative braking doesn’t seem great and the snow will be flying soon. I found out some info about how the car works more in cold weather/ice & snow conditions but have had mixed feedback on accessories for the car. For example half the people have said the stock car is amazing in the snow, the other half said it’s horrible. I’d assume it’s due to the amount of snow each driver is getting. My main questions is snow tires verse chains? My older vehicles were things like a ram truck with 4 wheel drive, or an all wheel drive Durango. So snow wasn’t an issue, nor were tires, chains, etc. If I just maybe put chains on the rear tires from those who live in snowy areas, will that do? Or is it worth investing in a set of specific snow tires for that season? That’s a bunch for any helpful feedback!

Which version of the Model Y do you have? What size wheels? Tesla recently changes the OE 19" tire that comes on the Model Y (except for the Performance Model Y.)

Tesla sells a winter wheel and tire package for the Model Y with 19" Gemini wheels and also in 20" and 21" for the Performance Model Y. These winter tire packages typically sell out so if you think you will want to swap your OE wheels and tires for the winter the Tesla winter wheel tire package can be the easiest route. Tesla will ship to and install the winter wheel and tire package on your vehicle at the closest Tesla Service Center. The 19" winter wheel and tire package is a particularly good value.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-y-19_-gemini-wheels-and-pirelli-winter-tire-package

Which version of the Model Y do you have? What size wheels? Tesla recently changes the OE 19" tire that comes on the Model Y (except for the Performance Model Y.)

Tesla sells a winter wheel and tire package for the Model Y with 19" Gemini wheels and also in 20" and 21" for the Performance Model Y. These winter tire packages typically sell out so if you think you will want to swap your OE wheels and tires for the winter the Tesla winter wheel tire package can be the easiest route. Tesla will ship to and install the winter wheel and tire package on your vehicle at the closest Tesla Service Center. The 19" winter wheel and tire package is a particularly good value.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-y-19_-gemini-wheels-and-pirelli-winter-tire-package
I have a 2023 model y long range. I got it in September. So guessing it would have the updated stuff but not sure. I’ll definitely look into wheel/tire combo

I have a 2023 model y long range. I got it in September. So guessing it would have the updated stuff but not sure. I’ll definitely look into wheel/tire combo
In the US the original OE tires on the Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini wheels were the Continental Procontact RX All Season tire. The Procontact RX offers good efficiency but is not a good tire for winter driving (there are much better all-season tires for winter driving and driving in snow conditions for the Y including Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and Michelin Crossclimate2). The Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 tire that comes with the Tesla winter tire and wheel package will out perform any all season tire when driving on snow and ice.

Reactions: Noflash
Hello everyone, first time post and excited to be here! I’ve had my model YLR almost a month now, and living in Colorado it can be snowy and icy. My brain went hmm regenerative braking doesn’t seem great and the snow will be flying soon. I found out some info about how the car works more in cold weather/ice & snow conditions but have had mixed feedback on accessories for the car. For example half the people have said the stock car is amazing in the snow, the other half said it’s horrible. I’d assume it’s due to the amount of snow each driver is getting. My main questions is snow tires verse chains? My older vehicles were things like a ram truck with 4 wheel drive, or an all wheel drive Durango. So snow wasn’t an issue, nor were tires, chains, etc. If I just maybe put chains on the rear tires from those who live in snowy areas, will that do? Or is it worth investing in a set of specific snow tires for that season? That’s a bunch for any helpful feedback!
Welcome!

The choice between all season tires, snow tires, and chains depends entirely on the condition you expect to encounter.

Here is a video of a Model Y climbing an icy hill with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires.

In the US the original OE tires on the Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini wheels were the Continental Procontact RX All Season tire. The Procontact RX offers good efficiency but is not a good tire for winter driving (there are much better all-season tires for winter driving and driving in snow conditions for the Y including Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and Michelin Crossclimate2). The Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 tire that comes with the Tesla winter tire and wheel package will out perform any all season tire when driving on snow and ice.
Thanks for the info I’ll look into some tires :)

We leased a 2020 MYLR and now have a 2023 MYLR. We had no issues with the stock tires on snow/ice, but have used the Tesla winter wheel/tire package each winter to be on the safe side while traveling over mountain passes and to our local XC ski area, which has notorious icy road conditions sometimes. We also use "off road assist" mode when the road is compact snow/ice - awesome traction! We also carry Auto Socks, a legal alternative to tire chains, just in case. We used them a couple times on our previous 2013 rear wheel drive MS, and they work great. Only used them once on the MY, in an icy uphill driveway before we switched to snow tires. I've driven on snow/ice in winter for over 40 years and the MY is the best of many 4WD and AWD vehicles I've driven. Go forth with no fear, and carry a shovel. :)

Welcome!

The choice between all season tires, snow tires, and chains depends entirely on the condition you expect to encounter.

Here is a video of a Model Y climbing an icy hill with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires.
Awesome video. Thanks for the post and info
We leased a 2020 MYLR and now have a 2023 MYLR. We had no issues with the stock tires on snow/ice, but have used the Tesla winter wheel/tire package each winter to be on the safe side while traveling over mountain passes and to our local XC ski area, which has notorious icy road conditions sometimes. We also use "off road assist" mode when the road is compact snow/ice - awesome traction! We also carry Auto Socks, a legal alternative to tire chains, just in case. We used them a couple times on our previous 2013 rear wheel drive MS, and they work great. Only used them once on the MY, in an icy uphill driveway before we switched to snow tires. I've driven on snow/ice in winter for over 40 years and the MY is the best of many 4WD and AWD vehicles I've driven. Go forth with no fear, and carry a shovel. :)
thanks for the info!! Some great tips I appreciate the help!

Reactions: BitJam
Since your place of residence is cold and snowy, you must install snow chains on your Model Y Long Range Edition! TESERY provides you with the best Tesla snow chain. The snow chains of Tesla Model Y, Model 3, Model S, and Model X use rough surfaces specifically made of snow chains to increase friction with the road surface, and have an irreplaceable role in vehicle driving conditions such as skiing, off-road, wilderness exploration, and mountain driving.

The Tesla Model Y snow chain provided by TESERY provides excellent grip and durability in snowy slopes and muddy conditions, with stronger ice breaking effects. These Tesla chains can help you easily cope with harsh road conditions such as snow, mud, sand, and steep slopes!

Below, I will list all of TESERY's high-quality snow chains for you:
Tesla Model Y snow chains 1.jpg

Tire Wheel Snow Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Product

• 6. Anti-Slip Snow Chains Nine Grid For Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S
Click here: Snow chains for Tesla Model Y

Tire Automotive tire Sky Wheel Rim

Tire Sky Wheel Snow Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Water Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

I am originally from New York and remember the metallic singing sound of the tire chains on the school buses and the public safety vehicles as they drove past whenever a snow emergency had been declared. Traction aids, i.e. chains have always been required for certain routes through the mountains in the western states if there is a snow storm.