Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper controls are the worst about a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indefensibly shitty UIs and functionality really isn't the thing for anyone to be fair. Tesla is running out of hardcore fanboys willing to tolerate it. If they want to keep going people like my wife are exactly the ones they need to win over.
I was sent a survey by Tesla recently and the wipers were actually an item on the list of things you could pick about what you like least about your Tesla. LOL

I ended up picking the UI. Having a touch screen is great but not a Tesla invention even in a vehicle. The UI design and functionality is just poor IMHO. Having a little video game view taking up more than a 1/3 of the screen that serves little purpose is just one example. The old style menu system with pages is a stone age concept as well

Indefensibly shitty UIs and functionality really isn't the thing for anyone to be fair. Tesla is running out of hardcore fanboys willing to tolerate it. If they want to keep going people like my wife are exactly the ones they need to win over.
I haven't seen a UI that I like better in any other car. Which one do you find more functional? UI preference is pretty individual, for instance some like Apple Carplay, I used it for several years before car software eclipsed it but I certainly don't miss Carplay in my Tesla, and I don't miss its 1990's cartoonish interface.

I find the wipers a mild annoyance and know that it will eventually be solved. The fact that the Model Y was the best selling car in the world last year is evidence it has moved past the hardcore fanboys despite the way the wipers work. No car is the right fit for everyone; if one insists that all features offered must be mature then Tesla isn't a wise choice because it is constantly evolving. It may irk you that they are preferentially working on FSD v12 rather than writing code to make the wipers work more effectively, but it would be a waste of resources to spend time on something that will be replaced by neural network end to end in the near future. And if one isn't a patient person, Tesla isn't a good choice.

Love it or hate it, Tesla is what it is.

Reactions: holmgang
I haven't seen a UI that I like better in any other car.
I second this. Tesla UI isn't perfect but doing good UI is incredibly hard. Tesla's seems to be far and away better than any I've used. Compared to Honda's UI it's night and day. If anyone should have a butter smooth UI that's easy to use, you'd think it would be Honda. We had an Odyssey that made me wanna take a baseball bat to the screen cause it was such a terrible touch screen and the interface was laggy. And did it get any updates for the 8 years that we had it? Nope.

If the wipers are the reason you want to get rid of your Tesla then this car isn't for you. At least Tesla made it where you can turn off the Auto Wipers while in Auto Steer mode.
Well, to be fair, it took them a long time to make the change allowing you to turn off auto wipers. Depending on where you live and how much rain you have to put up with, the wipres could make the experience consistently worse than what it would be with a car that does it right (or at least better, which doesn't seem to be that difficult).

The wipers are so much worse under the latest software update, that I leave them off until it starts to rain, then use a voice command to turn them on. When it stops raining, I stop the wipers with a voice command Wipers Off. I would prefer a knob or stalk control, but this is OK. Unlike dumb cruise control, which Tesla doesn't allow, the wipers can at least be made to function normally.

The wipers are so much worse under the latest software update, that I leave them off until it starts to rain, then use a voice command to turn them on. When it stops raining, I stop the wipers with a voice command Wipers Off. ….
^this. As I noted earlier, I wasn’t sure the random dry wipes happened at night. As of last night, I’m sure it does. I’ve had a 3 since 2018 so dealt with some auto wiper teething. But they got much better over time, such that I always had them on auto and only occasionally had to intervene, e.g., for a wipe when intermittent was tardy. But now I only turn them to auto when it starts to rain. Seems to have started with 2024.2.

This complaint from a lot of people is that Tesla actively advertised auto wiper capability, and never delivered it. Sure, Tesla delivered a very, very sub par version (since ~2018-2020 whenever they took away the rain sensor). However, the auto wiper tech has been so standard in the auto industry for so long (decades?), that consumers expected Tesla's auto wiper to work the same.

And, we all know that Tesla's auto wiper problem started when Tesla removed the rain sensor (which worked well just like any other automobile with it) without having the replacement solution in place (and Tesla continued advertising auto wiper capability).

So while Tesla is great all around (I agree), a lot of customers are frustrated they were lied to in this manner. Nobody likes paying a lot of money for something and having something promised not work well.

I have to say - driving in the rain yesterday, the wipers weren't terrible for change. I know there have been reports from Tesla that they have an update for them coming, I wonder if that was part of 2024.2.7? It's not a documented part of that release, but they definitely seemed to be better yesterday. Maybe it was just because it was raining steadily, so no decisions had to be made about whether they needed to be on and at what speed.

BTW, happy 3 years of ownership to me!

I have to say - driving in the rain yesterday, the wipers weren't terrible for change. I know there have been reports from Tesla that they have an update for them coming, I wonder if that was part of 2024.2.7? It's not a documented part of that release, but they definitely seemed to be better yesterday. Maybe it was just because it was raining steadily, so no decisions had to be made about whether they needed to be on and at what speed.

BTW, happy 3 years of ownership to me!
I can't even believe that I'm saying this after so much frustration with these wipers, but after about 1 year (May 2023 MY) my wipers worked flawlessly yesterday and today. They were definitely acting differently than they ever have in the past, where the wipers were at the proper speed based on how much rain was on the windshield. There was some mist this morning and the wiper stayed off until there was enough built up and then a single wipe to clear and then the wipers hid away until it built back up again. I was kind of amazed considering I've been so disappointed with this for so long. I really hope that this isn't just a fluke and that there actually were some significant changes in the recent firmware. I'm running 2024.2.7 btw.

Working correctly would require a hige change
I can't even believe that I'm saying this after so much frustration with these wipers, but after about 1 year (May 2023 MY) my wipers worked flawlessly yesterday and today. They were definitely acting differently than they ever have in the past, where the wipers were at the proper speed based on how much rain was on the windshield. There was some mist this morning and the wiper stayed off until there was enough built up and then a single wipe to clear and then the wipers hid away until it built back up again. I was kind of amazed considering I've been so disappointed with this for so long. I really hope that this isn't just a fluke and that there actually were some significant changes in the recent firmware. I'm running 2024.2.7 btw.
My 2023 Model Y running 2024.2.7 seems to underwipe the windscreen, especially in medium to hard rain.

I turned it on III about 10 minutes into my commute because Auto consistently was allowing a dangerous level of water on the windscreen.

Push the button on the stalk, and the use the left scroll wheel (going left or right) to change the speed without taking your eyes off the road.

I think some people use voice commands to change wiper speed, but I just can't get used to doing that. I think voice command is one of those things that, like 3D TV or those big curved TV screens that sounded great but never really lived up to the hype.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Today it's raining again and the wipers have worked well. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: laservet
I'm glad I'm not the only one that get so frustrated with the wipers. They tend to work the opposite for me sometimes. I have to manually push the stock to turn it on and when the car stops at the trafiic light it would go at full speed like it was pouring outside. Thanks for the tip on how to turn it on by pushing the stalk and the scroll wheel.