Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper controls are the worst about a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with automatic systems is that it's like having a leprechaun in the car with you manning the controls. Sure, now you don't have to do it yourself, but it's still annoying to have in the car with you and how often it actually does what you want will be entirely random.

Reactions: petercc9
i think we all agree that the auto wiper is erratic and unreliable.

however, that doesnt mean the manual wiper is difficult to use. it is extremely easy and predictable:
1. press the stalk button to activate manual wipe, which also brings up the context menu (at the bottom left of screen where its super easy to reach)
2. use scroll wheel to cycle through manual wiper speed AND/OR press on the screen... at the very easy-to-reach location.

my 1 annoyance was the the erratic wiper was forced to be on with TACC. but recently they yanked that requirement.

my 1 annoyance was the the erratic wiper was forced to be on with TACC. but recently they yanked that requirement.
I had first irritating encounter with this. They started going on with not a single drop of rain but after an hour with downpour, they refused to start in auto and I had to manually turn it on. When they were going on before rain, I turned it off and somehow it kept changing to auto. Is there a software update after which this requirement was removed? I am on the latest 2024.2.7 update.

Interesting thing about the auto wiper is that my 2018 Model 3 auto wiper actually works so much better than my 2023 Model Y auto wiper. It has been raining quite a lot for SoCal in the last 2 months, and the auto wiper on Y is next to unusable on local street when driving slow. It is barely usable on the freeways. I finally gave up and use manual control. I never had this problem with 2018 Model 3. Maybe because the computer is slower and camera is not as clear so Model 3 AI actually does more wipes with the same condition.

Interesting thing about the auto wiper is that my 2018 Model 3 auto wiper actually works so much better than my 2023 Model Y auto wiper. It has been raining quite a lot for SoCal in the last 2 months, and the auto wiper on Y is next to unusable on local street when driving slow. It is barely usable on the freeways. I finally gave up and use manual control. I never had this problem with 2018 Model 3. Maybe because the computer is slower and camera is not as clear so Model 3 AI actually does more wipes with the same condition.
I think it has to do with the 2018 M3 having the actual rain sensors instead of latest model using vision to figure out rain

I think it has to do with the 2018 M3 having the actual rain sensors instead of latest model using vision to figure out rain
Pretty sure none of the Model 3 starting from the beginning has actual rain sensor. My 2017 Model X also does not have actual rain sensor. They are all vision based. I just don't understand how vision base algorithm got worst when camera and computer are both better. My initial guess is that they have not changed the algorithm for newer hardware, so it could be based on if the "car" could see the road good enough for Auto driving, then it does not need to wipe. The problem with that is 2023 Tesla could "see" better than 2017 Tesla, but human eyes do not get better over the years...